• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which touring bike? Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Other?

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Moses
Okay, so I have a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 that I have rode for 5 years and I love it. But, the wife is not real comfy on it and I need something bigger. I am short (only 5'5") and I like to keep my feet on the ground which is a problem.

I am currently trying to figure out what to buy and any suggestions will be appreciated.

What I am looking at is the Goldwing, the Kawasaki Voyager 1700, and the BMW K 1200. This is the style of bike that I am looking into. I would like to ride some of thiese bikes. If anyone know's of any for sale that I could ride please let me know. Dealers are not to keen on letting you ride with out basically purchasing first and I am not wanting to do that till I am sure what I want.

Any suggestions of other bikes like this that I should look at would be appreciated. As well as advice on this and the issue of being so short and these bikes being fairly tall for me.

I am in Cleburne area, Johnson County, South of Dallas/Fort Worth Area

I ride a HD Road King.

I have a friend of mine that rides a HD Heritage Softail, which appears to be 1.5 - 2" lower in seat height. He is short in stature and it fits him great. Good touring bike.

I have checked into the HD Electra Glide a little. I may go to a dealer tomorrow and look at some. Pretty expensive though. Any info on these? Are they as smooth and comfortable as the Goldwing?

With your height, the Harley Ultra Classic, maybe the Wing. Both will make the wife comfy with enough packing space for a pleasurable trip. Great bike. Lots of miles on a 2001 Ultra and it was great. No fatigue - ever.

The Wing is a little higher. The K1200LT a lot higher.

All three have great protection and comfort for both of you. If she can't get comfy on those, it's just not possible on a bike.

Stop in at a Harley dealer or two and ride what ever you want, no strings attached. Most Harley's should do what you want.

Don't try one of the '09 Ultra Classics.......... you will not be able to leave without buying one.

Thanks, I believe I will stop at a Harley dealership, I am sure I would love it, just not sure I can part with that much cash and if I stop I probably won't be able to resist! ;-)

Has anyone looked at the new Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager?

Thanks, I believe I will stop at a Harley dealership, I am sure I would love it, just not sure I can part with that much cash and if I stop I probably won't be able to resist! ;-)

Has anyone looked at the new Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager?

You also need to look at a Rocket III Tourer. The seat height is only 28 inches and it is actually about 75 lbs lighter than the Ultra Classic with more power and probably cheaper.

You also need to look at a Rocket III Tourer. The seat height is only 28 inches and it is actually about 75 lbs lighter than the Ultra Classic with more power and probably cheaper.

I've never considered the Rocket III Tourer much of a touring bike, but what a motor.:eek2:

It would do.

http://www.sportryderrentals.com/Motorcycles.html
They have 4-5 touring models available for rent. I think it would be worth it to see what really works for you and your wife before dropping the amount of change you're talking about.

That's what I'll do if I ever get the cash. I'd rent each for a weekend for an FJR/ST1300 shootout.

Thanks for that website. I did not know that so many bikes were available to rent. I believe maybe I will plan on doing that before I buy!

I've never considered the Rocket III Tourer much of a touring bike, but what a motor.:eek2:

It would do.

I may be a bit prejudiced.

I had a Valkyrie Tourer (very similiar bikes) that I rode on several 3-4000 mile long distance rides including a route 66 tirp and a trip to the smoky mtns (deals gap, cherohala skyway, etc) and I thought it did great.

I know where there is a motivated seller of a 2003 Honda Valkarie if you are interested. He's interwebs challenged, so PM me if interested.

Something not touched on. Low Center of Gravity, especially if you are taking on a passenger. The Ultra and Wing I be the winner here I believe.

I haven't found anyone with a voyager in stock. But seat wise it's the same as the Nomad (which are in stock).

I wouldn't limit your choices to seat height. Any bike can be lowered by a rider in thier own garage or have the seat adjusted. I ride a Concours 14 which is a tall bike. I replaced the seat with one that was narrower and shorter so I could touch flat footed.

Any suggestions of other bikes like this that I should look at would be appreciated. As well as advice on this and the issue of being so short and these bikes being fairly tall for me.

Ninja 250 :trust:

deathvallyninja.jpg

the electra glide feels like a paint mixer at stop lights :lol2: but is uber smooth once you get going. I've riden my dad's several times and everytime I'm surprised how easy and smooth it is to ride at its size.
On paper its easily 150 - 200 lbs heavier than the Suzuki Boulivard C90T I'm riding (also dad's) but it FEELS so much lighter and easier to ride.

Can't say much about the height, other than it could use a little more leg room for me, but I'm 6'3".
And while I've never riden a wing, I've sat on them and they feel cramped to me.
A TWT member that occationally comes by the Katy bike night rides a wing and he's probably shorter than you.

What I am looking at is the Goldwing, the Kawasaki Voyager 1700, and the BMW K 1200. This is the style of bike that I am looking into. I would like to ride some of thiese bikes. If anyone know's of any for sale that I could ride please let me know. Dealers are not to keen on letting you ride with out basically purchasing first and I am not wanting to do that till I am sure what I want.

I guess I do not understand this statement. You have named three bikes that are used for different purposes.

K1200GT - Sport Touring
Goldwing - Super Luxe Touring with superb passenger comfort.
Kawasaki Voyager - Cruiser

They will all have different seating positions, with the Kawi the most feet forward. The question is...what do you want to do with this bike? Are you touring one or two up most of the time? Do you want something sporty or more laid back?

If you are looking at sport tourers, there are plenty of great ones besides the K-bike. ST1300, fjr, Concours14, all are comparable and less money if that is a concern. Also consider the cost and frequency of maintenance and dealer network. These bikes have alot of power, and handle very well in the twisties. Good all rounders, but not as comfortable for your pillon as a Wing or other full dresser. If you are predominately riding solo...I would take a serious look at this segment.

For two up touring, you cannot beat a wing for comfort. The handling is also really, really good for a bike that size. I have driven my Dad's GL1800 on many occassions and it handles like a big sportbike, surprised the **** out of me.

I have not driven the Voyager, but IMHO I would stay away from a bike just being introduced. They usually need a year or two to work out all the kinks / problems. My father also has a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, and it is a fine full dress tourer with a bullet proof 4 cylinder engine. You may want to give it a look.

My advice is to ride bikes from each of the three segments and note the differences in seating position, handling, etc. I went from cruiser to sport tourer and never looked back, but I tour solo. If my wife ever decides to ride with me...then a wing will be in my garage as well.

Best of luck.

I'm not buying another bike anytime soon, and ride a KLR now - but my servicing dealer sells Hyosung, and I was really impressed with the Avitar 650. I know it's less displacement - but it cranks out 79 horsepower at 9000 rpm, and with a seat height of 26.5", even some midgets should be able to flatfoot it. 485 lbs dry, too. I think the 30th Anniversary edition is pretty cool looking.

Anyway, good luck.

I own a cruiser, but have ridden my dad's K1200LT. It is a nice bike and I wouldn't classify it as a "Sport Touring" bike as the above poster did. It is a touring bike certainly in the same class as a Goldwing, Ultra Classic, or Victory Vision for that matter.

That being said, it is a taller feeling bike for me at 6'2" with ~32" inseam. Also, from what I understand the COG is higher on this bike making it even trickier. I can say for a fact the maintenance costs are insane. Don't even bother if you plan to bring the bike to BMW of Dallas, I would rate them a 1 on a scale of 10 as far as being helpful with a high price tag to accompany that quality service :thumbd:

I have not ridden a Goldwing, but I know there are many shorter riders who ride it. Sadly, while I lust for one of these I am a taller guy and have been told I will likely feel cramped.

To me you really need to decide on a sport touring v. touring bike first.

Back