• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

South Congress Ave. First Thursday

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
The Mrs. and I decided to visit South Congress Ave. this evening for what's referred to as "First Thursday". Like the reference, the first Thursday of each month SOCO turns into a big street party with a variety of vendors pitching their pop-up canopies and selling their goods. Most of the stores stay open late, many serve wine for their guests and the number of Airstream food vendors increases each month.

Taking a que from Richard_ and his ROT Rally street shots earlier this summer, as well as Dixon_Duke's Beale St. trip, I decided to just jump in head-first on this street scene stuff. This was also the first time out with the D90. I put on a 15+ year old Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 auto-focus lens, set the ISO to 1600, ran "A" mode at f/2.2. These are straight out of the camera except for resizing. One thing to keep in the back of your mind is, they are all done with available light from about 8pm to 10:30pm. No flash or tripod was used.

Comment and Critique (C&C) welcome!

20091105_1st_Thurs039.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs043.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs047.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs054.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs059.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs070.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs074.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs078.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs104.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, those are great shots! I love 'em.

Your noise at 1600 ISO is much much better than my Canon XSi. I have to limit myself to 800 to keep the noise in check.

Last edited:
fantastic shots! :clap:
I guess you're pretty happy with the D90 huh?

Scott,

These are great. I enjoy the colors and the contrast, especially since these are straight off the camera.

Did you have the "in camera" noise reduction turned on to a higher setting than default? I don't think that my D90 performed as well as yours at the default settings, specifically speaking towards the noise reduction at such a high iso. Were you shooting in JPG Fine or RAW?

You really do have a good eye at composition, which is something that I am still trying to train myself.

I have not really given much thought at purchasing older glass (which is easily found affordable on Craigslist), but after seeing your results, I just may have to rethink my position.

Thanks for sharing, I have not heard of the "first thursday" get together before, I totally dig those old airstream trailers.

I guess you're pretty happy with the D90 huh?

VERY happy to be more precise. :mrgreen:

Did you have the "in camera" noise reduction turned on to a higher setting than default? I don't think that my D90 performed as well as yours at the default settings, specifically speaking towards the noise reduction at such a high iso. Were you shooting in JPG Fine or RAW?

Here's what I had for this shoot short of showing the whole EXIF file:
JPEG Fine
White Balance - Auto
ISO - 1600
ISO Sensitivity Auto Control - ON (not sure this mattered in "A" mode)
High ISO NR - Normal

And thanks to everyone for the kind words.

S Austin is another world, I worked on Riverside for a few years

now that Toni Price is back ill need to go

soooooooo good

Very nice Scott. I wish I had your talent. Just getting a great camera would not work for me. Keep it up please.

Back