• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Q/D gas connectors

aussie

Reaction score
A word of warning when removing/handling the fuel tank. The Q/D couplings are an integral part of the fuel line. They cannot be removed/replaced individually. The complete assembly must be purchased and here in Aussie they are on back order only, 2/3 week, and cost A$114.

I have ordered a replacement but I am seriously considering fitting a solid line between tank and fuel rail. From previous experience with my R1150RT BMW I am very wary of Q/D couplings especially plastic items. It is a common fault with older BMs that the connectors fail due to fatigue in the body and high pressure fuel is sprayed within the engine bay. I had this happen when I lost approx 21L of fuel within a few miles. i did not realise as the fumes/vapour were left behind as we were riding at a "brisk" pace. The riders behind described me as being in a multicoloured rainbow vapour mist.

Sorry, when I say a solid line I mean a length of FI grade hose between the barb on the tank and the barb on the fuel rack. If I make it the same length (560mm) as the original line it will give me the same amount of movement which allows room for all basic maintenance - filter change, TB etc.

As I have ordered a new OE hose this is mainly to get me back on the road.

In the 4 years I've owned my Bandit I've disconnected the fuel line more times than I can remember and I never had a problem with it, and I've never read about anyone else having any problems with the QD fittings either, but any type of QD connector can start to develope leaks at some point, but at this time this seems to be a non issue with the 1250's.

If my fuel line ever does start leaking I will replace with a new piece of fuel line and hose clamps, as each of the steel lines that the QD ends connect too have a nice rolled lip on them that should work well at sealing and retaining a rubber fuel line with hose clamps.
;-)

Back