• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gina and her "Riveteer"

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Gina (SpiritAtBay) has a cool vintage 1975 Airstream "Tradewind" which she has nicknamed The Riveteer. I thought it would be fun to try and shoot some shots of such a classic and Gina graciously decided to play along. Here's a few of what we came away with...

SSS_3540-L.jpg

SSS_3364-L.jpg

SSS_3482a-L.jpg

#3a
SSS_3500a-L.jpg

SSS_3525a-L.jpg

SSS_3370-L.jpg

SSS_3568-L.jpg

SSS_3602-L.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I wish I had your nack for lighting and exposure. I get it in theory, but I just can't seem to translate that to practice... Very nice shots.

Scott,
This was all done with a single speedlight (SB700) in a 20" square soft box on a light stand with boom arm and a round reflector about 30" in diameter. Keeping in mind the soft box of this size is a 'close-in' tool, I just came up with some poses and put the soft box about 45* up and to the side of her face and let it do it's thing. The soft box does most of the work, but you still need some fill on the dark side so I started out with the silver side, then tried gold for one shot and finally wound up with the white side for reflective light. Once I had the soft box in place, I just manipulated the reflector until the bounced flash hit her face just right, then fired off the shot.

All were done in Manual mode and I simply used shutter speed for dictating how much ambient light was to be captured and flashed the subject based on aperture setting and playing with the flash power. I did this all using the Commander mode of the D700 as the trigger and the SB700 as a slave/remote. Flash power was adjusted from the back of the D700.

The technical side of the equation was fairly easy with only a few hiccups here and there. One being, if I got too close/under the strobe, in the daylight the popup flash had a hard time communicating with the slave so I had to half-step away from the soft box. Next time, I'll use my triggers but I might lose my capability to adjust flash power from the camera body if I go into a full manual mode on the flash unit. Will have to investigate that a bit more.

The pose side is where I struggle. Gina was a gem to work with and kept tossing up new looks and poses, so it was kind of easy for me. Just frame, shoot, wait for the flash recycle beep and shoot again. Little direction on my part. I do have a book "1000 poses for women" I've been studying so I hope to learn from that and be able to use that knowledge in the future.

Overall, a really fun shoot and I know I'm pleased with the final shots. I just hope Gina likes them too.

Last edited:
I just hope Gina likes them too.

What's not to like? Great shots of a very pretty lady. Nice trailer, too...

So I played with #3 a bit to give it some 'edge'..... Thoughts?
SSS_3482-3a-L.jpg

Last edited:
Gina has a cool vintage 1975 Airstream "Tradewind" which she has nicknamed The Riveteer. I thought it would be fun to try and shoot some shots of such a classic and Gina graciously decided to play along. Here's a few of what we came away with...

SSS_3540-L.jpg

SSS_3364-L.jpg

SSS_3482a-L.jpg

#3a
SSS_3500a-L.jpg

SSS_3525a-L.jpg

SSS_3370-L.jpg

SSS_3568-L.jpg

SSS_3602-L.jpg

Awesome photos! Looking good Gina!

Thanks everyone!

Never done anything like that before; it was fun, a little strange, but fun.

If I look good, it is due to Scott's skill as a shutterbug.

Thanks Scott.

I really like #7
It makes me want to sit down in one of those chairs and crack open a cold beverage and tell jokes and stories with group of close friends.

I really like #7
It makes me want to sit down in one of those chairs and crack open a cold beverage and tell jokes and stories with group of close friends.

I agree. There's something really inviting about #7, my favorite of the set. :clap:

Very nice pictures (as usual) and subject! :trust:
I like the light of #7, which seem to be getting more votes.
What about your preferences Scott and Gina?

Very nice pictures (as usual) and subject! :trust:
I like the light of #7, which seem to be getting more votes.
What about your preferences Scott and Gina?

Thanks....

My favorites are the "edgy" #3, #4 and #5.

#3/edgy version just has a cool vibe to it. For me, the shot just works from a color/contrast perspective. (Duke said she needs something in her hand, so 3a was posted to appease him lol)

#4 is in the eyes, plain and simple. An innocence of sorts...

#5 I like for the softness of the whole shot in such a harsh light. You either love or hate these kind of shots.

#7 seems to be popular. I saw that and set it up fairly quickly without really thinking about trying to 'clean' up the area. There's a cooler, a red towel, some tape on the window and a few other little things that I could have addressed before the shot. But what you see is an unaltered shot of living life in an Airstream. It's real life, not staged and there's some attraction to that I believe due to it's purity.

Should we do this again, we'll have some smiles in the shots. These all gravitated towards the stoic side of life. Gina does in fact know how to smile. :mrgreen:
SSS_3555-L.jpg

Last edited:
#2 has an awesome histogram. Other than that, I like the way the door frames her, and the way her hair frames her face.

#6 I like that the front light brings everything out - the lion and the subject. Also, the reflection on the metal adds to that effect. The sunset on the left is a nice touch.

#7 I agree with poser. I would fight for a seat next to that fire.

A great shoot all around! Well done to both of you!

Very nice photoshoot, but I now want to see more of the Riveteer and that fire pit. :D

Great shoots, really enjoy your night work. I like #7. The informality and the reality that it's not just a photo subject but also someone's home that's been captured.

I like the living room shot also, I prefer an open floor plan. Now to get the wife to try it.;-)
Nice work Scott, nice digs Gina. Total low stress life style.

If I look good, it is due to Scott's skill as a shutterbug.

Thanks Scott.

Not at all. Number 5 shows your beauty. Natural light brings natural beauty.:trust: As for the best picture, the last one with the fire is too cool. Great pics.:clap:

#7 recreated at sunset would be cool too I think. Even better if there were mountains behind it.

Back