• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heart of Texas Rally / RTE

And its over.... Had a blast today. I'm very impressed with the number of riders that showed up today and surprised to hear how far away some of the riders came from.

I'm tired, headed for bed, more later....

screen%20shot%202011-04-30%20at%209.56.57%20pm-L.png

What a day! I pushed thru barriers I didn't know I had, grinding out 8 checkpoints, a written warning for "speed over the limit", and 670 miles in 11 hours 45 minutes. Lots of great guys (and a few awesome ladies, some on the back of their guys' bikes, some wrestling the bars of their own machines) on the road today. At the "high-water mark" I think nearly 70 people were registered; 42 started and I believe 40 finished within the 12-hour time limit. Major props and thanks to James Stovall (lonestarrider) and all his cohorts for their efforts - our thanks is the only pay they get. Yes; this rally is completely free to its participants. See all y'all next time!

Katherine and I did 590 miles and got 7 bonus locations. It was hot and windy most of the day, but still a lot of fun. We hadn't planned on staying in Brady last night, but after 12 hours we were beat.

A local budding tattoo artist has drawn the 2012 Heart of Texas Rally logo. Here is a rough draft of the Logo. Also I will be posting info and opening up registration soon.
2012HeartofTexasRallyLogo.jpg

Heart-of-Texas-Rally-Proof-2.jpg

2012 Heart of Texas Rally
The 2012 Heart of Texas Rally is now in its 3rd year with many new changes. One thing that will not change is the fun and the challenge that participants will experience traveling the highways and byways of Texas on a motorcycle. So if you can withstand the crazy Texas weather, enjoy riding on roads less travelled, and like to spend a day on a motorcycle, the Heart of Texas Rally is for you.
To best describe the Heart of Texas Rally, is that it‘s a simple scavenger hunt for the motorcycle enthusiast. Starting anywhere within the Lone Star State, riders have twelve hours to route themselves to the finish in Brady, TX at the Holiday Inn, 2320 South Bridge . The proclaimed Heart of Texas situated on the fringe of the Hill country. Last year 39 motorcyclists journeyed from as far away as Florida, New Mexico and Colorado searched for the many bonus locations in all the seven regions of Texas. Sounds simple enough, in the following you will find info on what’s new for 2012, how the rally works, rules and the entry application.
What is new for the 2012 Heart of Texas? The first and foremost important is an entry fee. The inaugural and last year’s HoTs had no entry fee. While I thought I would never require an entry fee on the Rally, I have decided to have an official Heart of Texas t-shirt and help out a local nonprofit charity, CASA Childcare in Brady with a donation, so hence the fee. This organization provides childcare for at risk families and their children. The entry fee shall be paid when you send in your entry application. This fee is non-refundable after April 8, 2012. Next there will be a two up class. I feel that enough riders would like to include their better halves and providing a two up class would open the HoT to more couples. The HoT Rally alternate starts always have added a little extra challenge to participants’ routing plans by location and point value. For 2012, the Holiday Inn Express, 2320 South Bridge in Brady, TX (which is also the finish) will be one of five alternate starts. The other four locations will be revealed April 1st, 2012.
The Start:
At 0600 Central Standard Time on April 28th you will need to obtain a computer generated receipt with the correct date, time, and location from anywhere within the State of Texas or from one the Alternate Start locations. This is to verify your start time. It is very important that you acquire this receipt as describe and turn it in with your rally envelope at the end of the Rally. It will be up to you to make sure it is printed with all the proper information as described. Showing up at the finish without it or the incorrect information will cost you of all your points. You must collect your Alternate Start receipt from 0600 to 0615 to earn its bonus point value. If you decide to start from Brady, TX the Rallymaster(yours truly) shall start you at the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express (2320 South Bridge St. Brady, TX). Important note: You must acquire a start receipt before collecting any bonuses.
Gathering Bonuses:
On April 25th, 2012 I will release the Heart of Texas Rally bonus list. The Bonus list will have the name; a brief description, abbreviated directions, collection requirement and a GPS coordinate for each bonus. Some collection requirements could be a photograph, receipt or answer a simple question. Bonus photographs shall be taken by a digital camera with a removable memory card. Once you have acquired a start receipt as described, you can now begin collecting bonuses and make your way to Brady, TX. You have twelve hours and not a second more to complete this task. Once you arrive in Brady, TX you must check in with the Rallymaster and staff by 1800 hours at the host motel, the Holiday Inn Express, 2320 South Bridge St (the finish). You then have until 1830 hours to turn in your camera card and any required receipts or other bonus requirements. A second past 1830 and you will be considered DNF’ed.
General rules:
1. As a rider in the HoT Rally you will be expected to follow all the laws of the State of Texas, its counties and municipalities. Do not ride recklessly and endanger others or yourself by excessive speed and poor riding decisions.
2. Wear the proper protective gear such as; a helmet, eye protection, boots, gloves and long pants.
3. As a rider in the HoT Rally you shall have a street legal and properly functioning motorcycle. As a rider you shall have proper insurance for the motorcycle that you will be operating during the Rally and a motorcycle endorsed license.
4. No Team riding. All riders of the HoT Rally shall collect their own bonuses and receipts.
5. Two up riders shall have a designated operator and a passenger. The passenger cannot operate the motorcycle at anytime during the rally.
6. All bonus photographs shall have your rally flag included in the picture and be recognizable.
7. You must arrive and check in by 1800, a second past you will be considered DNF.
8. You must have your HoT Rally envelope handed in by 1830, a second past and you will be considered DNF.
9. The decisions of the rally master are final.
Application:
2012 Heart of Texas Rally
The following information and entry fee will need to be sent to me no later than April 8th, 2012. All entries after April 8th, 2012 shall pay a late fee of $15.00 and will be non-refundable.
Your name:
Passenger name if applicable:
Make and model of the motorcycle you be using for the rally:
An email address that you will use for Heart of Texas Rally updates and the Bonus list:
Name of emergency contact and phone number:
T-shirt size(s):
Any additional T-shirts will be $20 per shirt.
Note: Each participant(s) will receive an official Heart of Texas t-shirt.
Entry fee: $40 for single rider. $50 for two up riders.
Send the Application and fee to:
James Stovall
6405 Arden Rd. Sp#40
Amarillo, TX 79109.
Make checks payable to: James Stovall
or
You can register at http://rides.jasonjonas.com/regRequest.php?id=204
When I receive your application and entry fee you will be listed on the Ride Masters site: http://rides.jasonjonas.com/ riderList.php?rcid=0&id=204.

The host hotel and Heart of Texas Rally finish is at the Holiday Inn Express, 2320 South Bridge St., Brady, TX. A special rate has been set up for rooms at the Holiday Inn for $93.50. To make reservations call (325)597-1800. You’ll need to tell them that you are with the Heart of Texas Rally to receive the lower room rate. If you have any questions please contact me at: jasstovall@gmail.com or call 806 290-4979.

Please note: I have the right to cancel the 2012 Heart of Texas at any time before or on April 28th, 2012. If the 2012 Heart of Texas Rally is cancel before or on April 8th, 2012, all entry fees will be 100% refundable. After April 8th, 2012 all fees will be refunded minus administration costs.

We're all winners in our own special way. :sun:

Don't know, couldn't do it this year. Perhaps tomorrow they'll post the results. :zen:

I just got back, I had a great time. This was my third HOT, and the first without a major fiasco of some kind.

The weather was good, a bit breezy at times, but not too hot and no rain.

Saw a lot of great bikes and great riders. I'm looking forward to next years rally.

Here is the Texas & Pacific Rail Road bonus stop in Mineola Texas. Note the cool flag my wife made for me!

7125514149_21b1a87005_c.jpg

Did you and Misbehavin ride this?

We did, for the second year in a row, and she outpointed both me and our friend Kendal, who rode it for the first time this year. Oh, and her top speed and moving average speed were both higher than mine as well - I blame the ol' Connie needing new shoes!

We did, for the second year in a row, and she outpointed both me and our friend Kendal, who rode it for the first time this year. Oh, and her top speed and moving average speed were both higher than mine as well - I blame the ol' Connie needing new shoes!

So you didn't ride it together? I thought if you rode it together with someone, you'd have the same number of points. I've been wanting to do this, but it didn't fit into the schedule this year.

Well, we started at the same time, and finished in the same place, but we each rode our own rally. We don't do the "2-up" thing, cause when her kids got me the shirt that said "if you can read this the *chick* fell off" she went out and got the one that said "THIS *chick* got her own bike!" She was out 45 min longer than me and had more distance and a higher moving average (61 vs. 59)...that said, yeah, if we'd ridden together, we WOULD probably have had the same points.

see you soon..

Back