• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need help selecting good/cheaper digital camera.

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Wright
We have two cheap digital cameras that are starting to act up. I need your expert advice on replacing them with a decent affordable one that won't break the bank. My budget will be $150-$300. I know that is not much but it will be a step up from the $100 one that not working correctly. Any help will be appreciated. Drew

An iPhone is as good as any of the point and shoot digital cameras out there if your doing snapshot type stuff. We don't even use the point and shoot anymore. Just the phone for those type photos.

Look at the Canon Powershots on Amazon.com

Here's the #1 selling point and shoot on their website:

Canon PowerShot SX260 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera
20x Image Stabilized Zoom
25mm Wide-Angle Lens
1080p Full-HD

4.3 out of 5 stars (322)

List Price: $349.00

Price: $199.00

An iPhone is as good as any of the point and shoot digital cameras out there if your doing snapshot type stuff. We don't even use the point and shoot anymore. Just the phone for those type photos.

I have a cheap bottom of the line phone that I use for calls only. I'm old and don't even want that.:rofl: Thanks for the idea,but will be sharing the camera with the better half. Drew

Look at the Canon Powershots on Amazon.com

Here's the #1 selling point and shoot on their website:

Canon PowerShot SX260 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera
20x Image Stabilized Zoom
25mm Wide-Angle Lens
1080p Full-HD

4.3 out of 5 stars (322)

List Price: $349.00

Price: $199.00

Is this a camera you have used before? Drew

In my family, we've been through Sony, Lumix, Kodak, Nikon and Canon P/S cameras. I think Canon are the best of the lot.

I am looking at the Panasonic TS4 for a rugged point-and-shoot to carry in my tankbag.

I am looking at the Panasonic TS4 for a rugged point-and-shoot to carry in my tankbag.

Pick whatever brand/model you like, but for carry in a tank bag, put the camera in a simple case. IMHO no camera is "rugged" enough to bounce around in a pannier or tank bag.

I would suggest searching Amazon or eBay for a Canon S90 or S95. They are one or two notches behind the Canon technology curve (S100 is the current designation). You can shoot full auto, shutter or aperture priority and full manual with them. You can also set the lens ring function to do anything you want it to do. S95 shoots HD video if that is important to you. I have recommended this camera to several friends and they have all loved them. Good luck!

One thing I look for in a point and shoot travel camera is AA batteries for power. I'm done messing with extra power adapters. Canon has several models that use AA batteries. If you want to go green you can get rechargeable AA. I have done this. Charge up and carry four extras and I had enough power for a 10 day moto trip on the Divide Trail and came home with batteries to spare. And, if you run out, you can find AA power anywhere.

I find the new solar powered/battery free cameras to be the ticket, especially for night scenes :sun:

One thing I look for in a point and shoot travel camera is AA batteries for power. I'm done messing with extra power adapters. Canon has several models that use AA batteries. If you want to go green you can get rechargeable AA. I have done this. Charge up and carry four extras and I had enough power for a 10 day moto trip on the Divide Trail and came home with batteries to spare. And, if you run out, you can find AA power anywhere.

Always a good idea to have a spare or two with you. Ran into that problem a couple years ago while on vacaation. Don't forget the cards,we ran out of space last trip and had to pick some at a drug store in NM. Drew

I want a camera with standard cards (SD HC/XC) and uses AA batteries. This makes running them much cheaper than those that require weird cards (xD? Why?) or expensive batteries.

That said, the battery isn't a hard/fast rule. Modern battery packs run a long time and are relatively cheap.

Stick with a brand that makes a living making cameras. Olympus, Canon, Nikon, etc. They know what makes a good camera unlike the guys who make printers and decided to get into cameras (HP)
Not to say there aren't good cameras from other makers, just seem to have a better chance with the big names.

I had a Canon Powershot A530. AA Batteries, SD card. Took some great pictures with it.
My main gripes were slow to power on (had to wind the lens out) and sporadic results with flash. Sometimes it was way under-lit, sometimes way over-lit. Never did figure that out.

That one died when the gears in the lens stripped.

If I were shopping for one for use on the bike, I'd look into the 'rugged' cameras. Olympus started that craze, now most of the major brands have picked them up. The trick is finding one that is reasonable to operate with gloves.

Sure wish Nikon still made something similar to the S1 from about 6yrs ago.

I just don't see batteries as an issue anymore. You can buy a replacement lithium ion battery ridiculously cheap on Amazon. In fact, more often than not, if you buy a charger for about $7, they throw in a battery.

my past experience with AA battery cameras is they eat them like a bunch of teenagers with a 5 lb cans of honey-roasted peanuts. I just got my wifey a Canon Elph on closeout with a Li-Io battery and it's holding up beautifully. I do understand the charger dilemma, but like tshelfer stated, I'd get a second batter to rotate through the charger.

I just don't see batteries as an issue anymore. You can buy a replacement lithium ion battery ridiculously cheap on Amazon. In fact, more often than not, if you buy a charger for about $7, they throw in a battery.

Ditto

Unless and until you're going on the Lewis and Clark expedition, I would put the AA battery feature last on my list.

$7 bought me an AC/DC charger for my Canon, and as I said earlier, complete with a spare Canon brand battery. The charger is smaller than a camera, travels in my tank bag, and easily recharges a battery off the bike's battery while I'm sitting in camp somewhere.

I bought a Panasonic Lumix PnS camera several years ago off CL for $70 and that thing gets more use than my DSLR or Bridge camera. It runs off Sanyo AA rechargeables and takes an SD card. Hard to argue with a camera that go just about anywhere with you and takes very nice candid pics or even nature stuff.

I would suggest you check out the Lumix line. Mine is at least 2 years old so I doubt they make it anymore.

I would go with the Olympus tough series... they are built to withstand drops, vibrations, rain, freezing, dust, stupidity (like my ex just dripping her purse with my old digi in it). They can be found right in the range you're looking and charge off USB with a proprietary cable... makes travel easier in my book since everything I own except my DSLR will charge off a USB port.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would go with the Olympus tough series... they are built to withstand drops, vibrations, rain, freezing, dust, stupidity (like my ex just dripping her purse with my old digi in it). They can be found right in the range you're looking and charge off USB with a proprietary cable... makes travel easier in my book since everything I own except my DSLR will charge off a USB port.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do you mean dropping? Is that why shes the ex?:rofl:

In February, Canon is coming out with their armor plated, hand cranked/solar powered/AA battery, water proof to 150 meters, Electro Magnetic Pulse hardened model.

This will satisfy most everyone who is looking to buy a camera really designed for anything but photography

:-P

Back