• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do We...

Probably a "No No" if they are a sponsor.

...have a dealer complaint thread or is it just a big no-no?

Oh great....another hipster who got shorted just shy of a quarter ounce...

giphy.gif

I could probably find a reason to grouse about any of them if you give me a topic....

I bought a 2016 BMW G650GS from Alamo BMW in San Antonio on Saturday, December 19. I just rode the bike home and noticed a plug was dangling on the side of the tank. I rode back to the dealer and they said, oops, sorry. It's the ECU plug. They tucked it back in, no worries.

The bike stayed in the garage until Tuesday. A friend and I went for a ride. The bike hesitated several times coming off of 1st and even when I was going from second to first and first to neutral. The bike eventually stalled. Even with the clutch pulled in. It stalled several times. I didn't have time to take it back so I went in on Wednesday morning.

I explained the problem, they took it in. They said they could not replicate the problem. They tightened the clutch. I was on my way. I was caught in traffic due to an accident. Sure enough, after a few minutes of traffic, the bike stalled. I just turned around and went back to the dealer. It hit me then. The bike was stalling when I was stopped for some time and the engine was getting hot. I explained things again. They took the bike in and said it would take all day.

I said that the whole thing had ruined my experience of getting a new bike. I wanted to talk about my options and possibly have Alamo take the bike back. I was told no, the title had been processed already and the bike had too many miles already (about 140). Got home and waited. Nothing. No call. I called at the end of the work day. My bike was plugged in and they were going to have to hold on to it. Alamo needs to get in touch with BMW USA so I may not get my bike until next Tuesday (yesterday).

No call yesterday (or last Saturday since they were open), no update, nothing.

Last edited:
In the panoply of stealership angst, you ain't even scratched the surface.
Hope they get you fixed up and you put on enough perfect miles to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

We usually allow people to air their gripes, sponsor or not, but you have to be willing to have people question your side of the story as well. I have seen some complaint threads that went a direction totally opposite of what the complainant expected... TWT does not takes sides in such threads, but people are still expected to abide by the rules regarding being civil and not using foul language.

Like most riders, I have my own dealer inspired horror stories. But I also know that sometimes, the customer is as much at fault as the dealer ;-)

In the panoply of stealership angst, you ain't even scratched the surface.
Hope they get you fixed up and you put on enough perfect miles to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

This.
The bad experiences involve missed road trips and disappointed riding buddies. I could light it up and burn stuff down but chalk it up to my underestimation of the fools in the M/C service industry.

To be fair, there have also been times where some of the dealers have saved the day for me... Hopefully, it all balances out over the long run... hopefully... ;-)

Update

Got a brief (about 30 seconds) phone call saying that dealership is waiting to hear from BMW. I find it strange since BMW contacted me yesterday...

Still no bike. Didn't get a timeline as to when I'd be getting it back.

^^^ That Up There ^^^
This is, without doubt, the most civil bikey-website extant and I, for one, believe it or not, think that's cool as ****!

I ain't met nothing but cool folk thru TWTForum and I hope it stays that way long after my ashes have been scattered where they should be, and where they will be 'cause I picked the best friend a guy could ever have to make sure all's as I want it to be. Beers will be bought,on me. Where? All you have to do is ask via PM, and FWTW, per the vision I had the 1st night I spent in this box, I've got ~12yrs left. I think that'll be enough.

I don't know if that was a genuine, authentic Cherokee thing or if it had to do with that green, tarry substance I'd "sampled" earlier. Whatever, I'm old and there can't be all that many yrs left, having treated my body as a temple, as I (of course!) did.

No, I will NOT will you one of my scooters. That'll be my daughter's, and her four son's problem. Serves 'em right for living so far away!!!!!:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, there have also been times where some of the dealers have saved the day for me... Hopefully, it all balances out over the long run... hopefully... ;-)

Rog! One! Guy W's Harley dealership in Midland, December 1995, when Guy W and his retired Chief Mech came and got my butt & bike & trailer in Kent - blown up S&S 89ci stroker - and hauled us back to Midland (me drunker'n ****, Kent having the only pay phones and coldest beer in West Texas (it's dead now, and has been for years, and I'll attach a pic from my last time thru there when Kent was still alive, in Nov 2007, when I was enroute to Phx for Turkey Day with my daughter and G-sons.))

Anyhoo, when we got back to Midland, every member of the shop's staff was there and my bike was stripped to the frame, that night, with Guy W hisself manning the bead blaster cabinet, and I spent an unexpected 5 days with those folk and had an amazingly wonderful time; I still cherish the times when I use the 10mm combo wrench the head Mech gave me, his mark stamped clearly in it.

Ever drunk Midland/Odessa out of Shiner Bock? Ever laid your "protection" on the counter before the dice game and there were three Beretta 92FC's there, mine the only one made in Italy? Ever had a lady peel Snow Crab legs and feed 'em to you, as her Hubby had taught her? Ever had a White Wolf ***** that you were told to avoid crawl up on the couch with you and snuggle?

I have.

The good outweighs the bad, and I say that with over 57yrs on two wheels.
(Much of the time not on two wheels spent underwater, wherever, with a RD400F waiting for me to get back home.)

Rock On!!!!!!!
Happy New Year!
garf

More detail available by a campfire, likely at Ghost Rancho, next opportunity 22-24Jan.

Be there or be WARM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the bike back today. Actuator was replaced. Bike rides just fine now.

I've decided it's not for me so I've put it up for sale.

Alamo BMW, you suck.

Wow. I understand your frustration but that is a very slim margin of error. Good luck brother finding your perfect steed. :sun:

Guess we should all strive to be so perfection oriented. Enjoy taking that hit in depreciation. I'm sure that won't leave you with a satisfied feeling either.

Guess we should all strive to be so perfection oriented. Enjoy taking that hit in depreciation. I'm sure that won't leave you with a satisfied feeling either.

You gotta like what you ride is what I say.

At least your legs didn't get too hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

At least your legs didn't get too hot.

Boy, that one was a bloody mess.

A dealer's service quality has to be measured over time. If Lone Star ever provided less than stellar service, it was buried in so many good performances that I missed it. Then again, my wife's cousin thinks they were the worst dealer on the planet because they couldn't do an unscheduled oil change in under an hour on a Saturday. That was the only time he visited.

So far Mancuso is treating me right with attentive staff and reasonable service and prices. Both of the other Houston BMW dealers have a history, one mixed and the other flat out bad.

What I don't get is the missing fundamentals of customer service, like not calling as promised. Maybe it comes from being "motorcycle riders" first and dealers (or employees) because they love the sport, but no customer should be on the floor of the dealership for more than five minutes without an employee clearly identifying themselves as such and asking if the customer needs help, ever, period.

I will give Gruene HD a mention. When my BMW sputtered to a stop across the street one Sunday, the manager offered to open the shop so I could work on the bike out of the rain. If I ever buy an HD they will have a chance to sell it to me.

Alamo BMW, you suck.

the one that twist the throttle? :rofl:

today marks the fourth week my still new to me (just short of its first birthday) CRF250L has spent at the dealer having done what people do in two days in their home garage. :doh:

I would be more mad at BMW --- they messed up. Get a bike you like - I am always looking too. Stick with carburetors and less sensors!!!

Back