• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend area ride in March

Reaction score
Looking for some ride info for riding the area in March. Will be riding big fat road bikes so can't do the cool off roading some of you cats do. Looking for must must see things to see and do. Doesn't somebody on the forum put out a ride map. Thanks

Last edited:
As in March, like, 2017? Or did you fat-finger the month. Big Bend doesn't usually require a 9-month planning session. :mrgreen:

As in March, like, 2017? Or did you fat-finger the month. Big Bend doesn't usually require a 9-month planning session. :mrgreen:

yup 2017, have to plan ahead as some people going with me are from out of state and have to plan vacation time. reservations during spring break and the like.

Big Bend doesn't usually require a 9-month planning session. :mrgreen:

Not so fast. It can require detailed advanced planning when you're shouldering the enormous pressure of wearing the "Ride Captain" patch. Even if it's only leading one other rider in a two man formation. Totally understandable.

Lots of good folks here have been down there so you may get more "must dos" than you can do in one visit.

Great roads both inside and outside the park.
Ross Maxwell scenic drive down to Santa Elena Canyon is a must do.
Ride up to the Chisos Basin is also a must do.
Don't miss the ride over to Boquillas Canyon and Rio Grande Village on the east end of the park either.
Honestly, I enjoy the area so much, any riding out there is great.

Outside the park, 170 from Lajitas west to Presidio has great views.
If you have time, go north to Fort Davis and ride up Mt Locke to the McDonald Observatory complex. All paved roads there too.

If you can put your hands on any Texas ride guide, it will have plenty of recommendations for that area.
Take a few minutes when you're out in the middle of it all to stop, park the bikes and listen to the quietness.

Not so fast. It can require detailed advanced planning when you're shouldering the enormous pressure of wearing the "Ride Captain" patch. Even if it's only leading one other rider in a two man formation. Totally understandable.

Plus March is prime spring break season so not uncommon to find 100% occupancy. Book early and you can always cancel later on.

_

Of the 12 months of the year, a seasoned local told me about the month with the best weather and lowest tourist count, both occur in the same month.

Guess which month that is and win a prize.

September

But that's only based on weather and my personal preference for riding. Not too hot but not too cold either and still a little rainfall to keep the dust down and the sand manageable. The most tourists are out there in March and April but have no idea what month is the least.

_

September

But that's only based on weather and my personal preference for riding. Not too hot but not too cold either and still a little rainfall to keep the dust down and the sand manageable. The most tourists are out there in March and April but have no idea what month is the least.

100% Correct - a revelation to me from Sandi who works at the Starlight.

Thanks, I'm sure Garfey intended it as a good natured poke. :rider:

Just spent a couple days there. Not very crowded. If you stop in Fort Stockton I recommend tacos OJ'S enchiladas with the egg and red sauce.

Santa Elena canyon.
IMG_20160529_185307_zpsdifcn1mw.jpg

The road out to the canyon.
IMG_20160529_191052_zpsunlkwjv9.jpg

To the Presidio.
IMG_20160530_102535_zpsyo42ffrq.jpg

IMG_20160530_104400_zpsq1qwfkpv.jpg

beautiful pictures. Isn't it still real hot in BB in September? I know it is here in H-town

A friend and I went last September. We stayed in the Basin and night time temperatures made a sleeping bag feel really good. Daytime was hot anywhere except up high.

may have to take a solo scouting expedition out there in September to check things out.

Wait until November and I might ride with you. I have a bet with a Mexican man that will require me to go back if Trump wins the election.

Wait until November and I might ride with you. I have a bet with a Mexican man that will require me to go back if Trump wins the election.

if you have to go back, can I go with you? I think I'm gonna want to go no matter who wins.

Ok, taking suggestion from Silver Bullet and going to make it to BB end of Sept-1st part of October. Planning on camping so sounds like Chisos is the place to be. Can't wait. Needing a good road trip in a bad way. Thanks for the info Guys.

Good call. The basin road aka Green Gulch is a treat in and of itself. 170 aka the paved river road is one of the best scenic rides around. Big Hill just west of the tepees is so cool that there is a pull off on each side of the summit. If you know the movie "No Country For Old Men" the west pull out view of Colorado Canyon will look quite familiar. 67 from Presidio up to Marfa is a fine ride too. Be sure to explore the old mine town of Shafter along that road. On a different riding day go up Ft. Davis way for the scenic loop, a stop at the observatory, and the old fort itself in town. Check out the Butterfield Stage Museum there too.

If you want a day off the bike we usually have enough water in the river in Sept/Oct to run rafts. There are also several dozen good hikes to choose from. Gee, there is nothin' to do in Big Bend, so why did I move here? ;)

March is slammed. If that is the only time the group ride can go get reservations in now. Many places are pretty near booked up already for next March. This past March I had four days off all month from my guide job.

Good call. The basin road aka Green Gulch is a treat in and of itself. 170 aka the paved river road is one of the best scenic rides around. Big Hill just west of the tepees is so cool that there is a pull off on each side of the summit. If you know the movie "No Country For Old Men" the west pull out view of Colorado Canyon will look quite familiar. 67 from Presidio up to Marfa is a fine ride too. Be sure to explore the old mine town of Shafter along that road. On a different riding day go up Ft. Davis way for the scenic loop, a stop at the observatory, and the old fort itself in town. Check out the Butterfield Stage Museum there too.

If you want a day off the bike we usually have enough water in the river in Sept/Oct to run rafts. There are also several dozen good hikes to choose from. Gee, there is nothin' to do in Big Bend, so why did I move here? ;)

March is slammed. If that is the only time the group ride can go get reservations in now. Many places are pretty near booked up already for next March. This past March I had four days off all month from my guide job.

We want to go in Oct. before chili cook-off weekend in Nov. Never been but I bet its crowded. Ed what kind of guiding you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
We want to go in Oct. before chili cook-off weekend in Nov. Never been but I bet its crowded. Ed what kind of guiding you do, if you don't mind me asking?

If you go before that last week in October it isn't yet crowded. That last week the chili heads start rolling in and setting up for their big party. I am mainly giving Jeep tours with some ATV runs. I was on the river, but the Jeep work has had me busy, and the company has many guides that only give river tours. With any luck if summer rains keep falling I may get a chance to do some rafting also.

Back