• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm toying with the idea of converging on Galeana via San Rafeal off of 57. I enjoyed the dirt as well as the high country on that network of roads earlier this summer. You go through several neat edijos on it. It's by no means closer or faster than the other routes but I like exploring new stuff. Perhaps I'll cross at Eagle Pass. On the other hand, the good thing about McAllen is the known parking situation. :confused:

SAB and I started down the road from San Rafael last October on the Stroms. It was dirt from the turn off from 57. We decided we might not have enough time to make it all the way to Galeana before dark and turned around to stay on pavement. I have never been on this stretch from San Rafael to Los Mimbres. I have been on the road from Los Mimbres to Galeana and it is a great dirt road.

SAB and I started down the road from San Rafael last October on the Stroms. It was dirt from the turn off from 57. We decided we might not have enough time to make it all the way to Galeana before dark and turned around to stay on pavement. I have never been on this stretch from San Rafael to Los Mimbres. I have been on the road from Los Mimbres to Galeana and it is a great dirt road.

Looking at my GPS track it took me 2.5 hours from Galeana to San Rafael with an average speed of 19 MPH, 49 miles. Maximum altitude was 9005 feet. Its a neat way to exit Galeana if you want to explore westward which is what I was doing. I would not want to run out of daylight on that road either...

I would like to be put on the interested list as well, all depends on work right now. Is there a deadline to sign up?

I know of 3 or 4 that are also waiting to the last minute but committed to the cause.

That described me...until today
paypal sent
hotel in mission reserved...working on the rest of them.
don't know what I'm riding yet...leaning towards the GSA.
probably staying through 25th.

Just tuned in & catching up. Peter, I am in and will stand and deliver soon.
I am going early so I wont be meeting in Mission. I'll head to Galeana from down range somewhere, yet to be determined.
Hopefully I can drag Zeke along with me.

Always looking forward to this trip.

Just sent paypal. I'm in Dallas near Preston Center. I have a Kendon 2 Bike trailer pulled by my sedan that may have an extra spot available.

Question about GPS's in Mexico. Do I need to buy a Mexico map for my Garmin Montana ?

Yes. The E32 is the best for backroads, but it does not route. I would suggest loading the free Open Street Map for Mexico(routable) and the E32. The OSM is not detailed enough for most of the backroads, but will suffice for pavement. Remind me and we'll talk about it tomorrow.

Yes. The E32 is the best for backroads, but it does not route. I would suggest loading the free Open Street Map for Mexico(routable) and the E32. The OSM is not detailed enough for most of the backroads, but will suffice for pavement. Remind me and we'll talk about it tomorrow.

A way around that is to plan your routes in Basecamp, convert them to tracks, and then transfer those to the GPS. The routing in Basecamp will work regardless of whether the map supports routing in the GPS. You won't have "turn-by-turn" instructions, but you can still follow the line and know how many miles remain until the end...

If you need to do an ad-hoc route in the field, it won't help you with that. You will just have to follow the map and watch for the turns manually or get by with what the OSM map can supply.

New here but definitely interested in this trip. What's the deadline for registration?

The E32 Topo Map has been recommended. I used IFR* which is also a very effective navigation system this spring when we were down there and it was based on that map. I'm planning on buying it for this trip.

*IFR = I follow Rich

Question about GPS's in Mexico. Do I need to buy a Mexico map for my Garmin Montana ?

City Navigator works well in MX if you already have that loaded on your device. I use it when traveling cross country, then switch to E32 at the riding area. I'm thinking about trying out the Garmin Topo for mx, since it is routable, I believe.

Map details vary. Here are screenshots of the Open Street Map MX Jan 2016, E32-2016 and the Bicimaps 2012(Garmin bought this map and sells it as Mexico Topo essentially unchanged. Which would you rather have in your gps if you were wandering around in the back country looking for an alternate route close to sunset?
OSM-MX-2016 below
OSM-MX-2016-X3.png

E32-2016 below
E32-2016-X3.png

Bicimaps-2012 below
Bicimaps-2012-X3.png

Another massively stupid question, I tried to call the hotel, nobody there speaks English and I don't speak Spanish. How are you all handling this ?

Another massively stupid question, I tried to call the hotel, nobody there speaks English and I don't speak Spanish. How are you all handling this ?
I can call in your reservation if you like. PM me your name, phone, and dates if they are different than Thursday thru Sunday (3 nights). They didn't ask me for any prepayment/CC info when I reserved. (I'm not even sure if they asked for phone, now that I think about it.)

last time, i got the spanish speaking coworker to do the talking for me. then i bought him lunch.
later taters

Just tuned in & catching up. Peter, I am in and will stand and deliver soon.
I am going early so I wont be meeting in Mission. I'll head to Galeana from down range somewhere, yet to be determined.
Hopefully I can drag Zeke along with me.

Always looking forward to this trip.
well, he did already, n itching to ride to da pacific via old Mejico on my new xt 650 vstrom, no serious off-road this time...

I've had a couple of others ask me to call in their reservations at Hotel Magdalena. I am glad to be able to help this way for whoever needs it.

To have me reserve the room for you, PM your name, phone, and dates. They are keeping these on a special list for us. A few days before the reservation date, they call to confirm. They will know to call me to confirm, but they still request your phone number as contact info for anything else.

I can call in your reservation if you like. PM me your name, phone, and dates if they are different than Thursday thru Sunday (3 nights). They didn't ask me for any prepayment/CC info when I reserved. (I'm not even sure if they asked for phone, now that I think about it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back