• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking the mighty Africa Twin... Of course I am going to do a shakedown ride with her in Colorado a couple of weeks ahead of time. From what I have read on this thread and the people I have spoken too there are options for all types of bikes, shouldn't be a problem.

I am taking the mighty Africa Twin... Of course I am going to do a shakedown ride with her in Colorado a couple of weeks ahead of time. From what I have read on this thread and the people I have spoken too there are options for all types of bikes, shouldn't be a problem.

Ah heck no way the AT will be a problem. Far from it, from everything I've heard, its just about the perfect bike for a trip like this. Unless of course you could take an XRL. Lol :rofl:

The AT will be fine for this ride. I would not worry too much about the safety of the bike from the Mexicans..but that motley crew you will be riding with is another story. Make sure you keep it locked up and the keys with you at all times...And be careful with the ole "sure just go behind that bush and I'll watch your bike for you" trick to grab a joy ride on it.

Being there last year on my xr650l (about perfect for this trip) I can say the AT will do very well. One thing for sure, the AT will get you from the boarder to the mountains (and back) in grand style!

Curious to see a listing of the current bikes making the trek. I have a R1200GS-Adv and curious if any others are going on the large dual-sport bikes. My goat is still healing from COBDR a couple weeks ago...

I haven't tracked what everyone is taking, but I doubt you would have the only big bike there. I'm pretty sure one of the big Triumphs is going in addition to the AT. This spring in Jalpan there were several larger bikes.

Gang I am not worried about the AT, I was responding to the guy asking about the 1200 GS. Gina, I kinda think of it as a big boy XR :). Yea, the AT will cost a lot more to drop than the XR but it is still fun and spirited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curious to see a listing of the current bikes making the trek. I have a R1200GS-Adv and curious if any others are going on the large dual-sport bikes. My goat is still healing from COBDR a couple weeks ago...

I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm leaning towards taking my GSA again.
Did everything I wanted to do when I was in Jalpan in April. Just slower on the loose stuff than the guys on the 650s.

Did everything I wanted to do when I was in Jalpan in April. Just slower on the loose stuff than the guys on the 650s.

Small bike opens up lots of fun routes. All your bikes need to go to Mexico. Rotate the bike crop.

Which bike are you bringing Vinny?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Too many things going on that weekend. I'm going to miss this one. I did a trip to Mexico in April.
I would of brought the KTM 450 this time and let the VStrom have a break

Can anyone tell me if Riding two up with my wife is a good idea. We would be on a fully bagged F800GS and I've done a lot a technical stuff in Colorado, Idaho, WA and even in to BC, with bike fully outfitted, but never too much off road stuff with her on the back. Fire Roads and gravel roads were ridden with her with no issues. Maybe I would just have to back off of the too technical stuff, but I would really like her to get a bit of the taste for Adventure riding.

Any thoughts guys?

I have been wondering the same thing. My wife is not going to even try to ride it, but she would really like to experience old Mexico... Maybe she would just miss me too much if I left without her... LOL

Hey, maybe if there are a couple of wife's going they might want to stay in town one day sightsee and enjoy themselves without us?

Ok, sounds like I am digging a deeper and deeper hole for myself.

There are plenty of fun passes that aren't going to make you & her sweat too much. We've done this, a good suggestion is Shrine Pass plus the Colorado Motorcycling book has very detailed descriptions of what's entailed. Obviously we found some to be rougher than discussed but on the whole he's pretty accurate. Remember, you're not going to be able to get off the pegs 2-up so plan accordingly.

Really it's the gravel that's worse. We met 25 miles of freshly graded and that was really no fun. Here's "Buck" enjoying the scenery with us.

DSC00045-L.jpg

Thanks Philip, but is there really going to be a pass called "Shrine Pass" on the MEXTREK routes in Nuevo Leon?
I has asking about the trip to Galeana? Didn't mean to confuse myself here.

Can anyone tell me if Riding two up with my wife is a good idea. We would be on a fully bagged F800GS and I've done a lot a technical stuff in Colorado, Idaho, WA and even in to BC, with bike fully outfitted, but never too much off road stuff with her on the back. Fire Roads and gravel roads were ridden with her with no issues. Maybe I would just have to back off of the too technical stuff, but I would really like her to get a bit of the taste for Adventure riding.

Any thoughts guys?

Most of the routes that are mapped out in Rich's Mextrek guidebooks are not that technical. There may be a few sections that have unplanned obstacles like washed out sections, trees down, mudslides, etc. Keep in mind that these roads are the only routes for the folks that live out there. The locals drive these routes in their '73 F100's. The great thing about the Mextrek plan is that you can leave all your overnight gear in the hotel and just carry the minimum you need for a day ride and your wife. If the two of you can ride passes in CO together, you two can ride Mextrek.

I have been wondering the same thing. My wife is not going to even try to ride it, but she would really like to experience old Mexico... Maybe she would just miss me too much if I left without her... LOL

Hey, maybe if there are a couple of wife's going they might want to stay in town one day sightsee and enjoy themselves without us?

Ok, sounds like I am digging a deeper and deeper hole for myself.

Mike, if you and Mary make it, SAB and I will ride Friday and Saturday with you. We don't ride real fast in MX, I know you can keep up, two up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JT that would be great. We will be doing a few rides two up while in Durango in a couple of weeks, I think that will settle the question for us...

By the way looks like I will be driving from Austin with the truck and trailer, there is extra room for one or maybe two bikes if anybody needs a lift...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you get in and out of MEX on a Passport Card instead of a Passport Book?

Can you get in and out of MEX on a Passport Card instead of a Passport Book?

Yes. One of the few places you can use the card.

Take the 250L.

I can't say for sure since I rode street to Jalpan, but Galeana is almost all dirt once there, and it's only 2.5 hours of concrete to get there. I rode my Honda 230F 12 HP bike and it was fine, except for the long highway drone part.

I just picked up a NX250 out here in Arizona. 26HP four troke liquid cooled. I think this motor is similar to what is in your 250L. it runs 70 PMH no problem and is most likely what I'll be riding to Galeana this year.

14249817_10209798002521293_4866456508020626367_o.jpg

Peter

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if Riding two up with my wife is a good idea.

In a word, Yes, if you prefer.

You can take pavement all the way to Galeana two up and it is a very, very nice ride with a nice canyon near the end. At a moderate pace taking a few pictures you'll be there in the early, early afternoon.

Map it: Anzualdas, China, Montemorelos, Linares, Iturbide, Galeana

Once in Galeana you can get your room, freshen up, and load back up sans gear and head north out of town toward Rayones. That is the kinda tricky dirt road the rest of the group will be riding into Galeana having gone this route:

Map it: Anzualdas, China, Montemorelos (Lunch), Rayones, (then dirt to) Galeana

If this road is to your liking you will be able to manage most of the roads considered class 1 and 2. There are fabulous routes consisting of all class 1 and 2. And nice destinations (Saltillo, a medium sized city, the waterfalls near Monterrey, a vineyard or two to the west) an hour or two away if you prefer to stick to concrete.

However, there is little to do in Galeana. It's a small town, county seat, and most of what happens is small potatoes. 4 hours and you'd have exhausted everything you could do there, and that includes dinner and bar hopping and shopping.

In my opinion, this ride is best done solo with an adventuring spirit, solo, with the ability to make the trip your own and see what you want to a key part of it. Having someone else to worry about might really diminish your experience. My wife, in an ideal world, would want to go 2 up to Starbucks at best. Mexico has too many variables for me to want to thrust on her.

Last edited:
Not sure about Galena specific I sure someone else can chime in, but I can confirm VZ has service in Mexico to include 3G and 4G data in a lot of places. But you better call them in advance and get on at least a 30 day plan or else they'll gig you hard for the usage when you get your bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back