• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any NOS Teneres out there?

Paging Liteitup.

For what? I'm immensely pleased with my Tenere .My only gripe is I can't decide if I want it to be a sport(adventure)tourer with PR4s or an adventure bike with knobby tires. It does both better than it has any right to.

I believe Silver Bullet is the one that posted up the deal I bought. He knows way more than i do about these bikes. He's certainly the mileage king.
I'm at 15,xxx miles and just over a year. Other than tires and oils, only money I've spent is on farkles. If you get a Gen I, get the ecu flashed.... night and day difference.

For what? I'm immensely pleased with my Tenere .My only gripe is I can't decide if I want it to be a sport(adventure)tourer with PR4s or an adventure bike with knobby tires. It does both better than it has any right to.

I believe Silver Bullet is the one that posted up the deal I bought. He knows way more than i do about these bikes. He's certainly the mileage king.
I'm at 15,xxx miles and just over a year. Other than tires and oils, only money I've spent is on farkles. If you get a Gen I, get the ecu flashed.... night and day difference.

For advice on where to get one reasonable new. I thought you went out of state to get one. Might be able to help him find one.

Nite & daylight davings time

Its that far ahead

&.... dont ask Joe for his opinion on Tens.... or youll get it .... he has a 3 letter tattoo
For advice on where to get one reasonable new. I thought you went out of state to get one. Might be able to help him find one.

Pencil me in....
I went there for my slightly used Ten

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My last five bikes have been Yamahas. Currently on a Tenere with 55k miles. In five bikes, I've had the Tenere CCT replaced (noisy, warrantied) and valves adjusted a total of ONCE.
The Tenere is a terrific, comfortable bike. Taken it to Alaska, around the Great Lakes and this summer to Seattle with nothing more than a fork oil and motor oil change.

My Tenere has been a wonderful bike for me. With having a pile of bikes to ride, I only have 39K miles on mine so far. With exception of a failed headlight harness and a noisy CCT it has been trouble free bike. Some day I may even get the valve adjustment checked.

Speaking of CycleTrader, based on 50 miles from 60661 (Chicago), there are four. Two 2015s and Two 2016s. One each ES models. 12K to 14K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Explorer 1200.
1st year it was in the shop for 6 weeks for the "cam bucket" recall.
2nd year it was in the shop for 6 weeks when the cam chain came apart (stranding me in Arkansas). 6 weeks repair
3rd year was in the shop for 6 weeks getting the new engine head recall

The last time the shop in Ft Worth did the service, they left loose several bolts, including the main swing arm bolt & rear hub (that is now leaking) & installed new fork seals (which were puking oil by the time I got home.) So I had to take it back the next day, drop it off, then go back & get it the following day. I assure you nobody cared that I had to drive an extra 400 miles because of their screw up.

This Summer in Colorado, I got in 1 day of riding before the front bevel started puking oil. So I rented a BMW 800 for the duration of my trip. Now this, about 1,500 miles after that.

I would like to re-iterate what an absolute joke Triumph North America is. They haven't done 1 GD thing to offer any help, all they can say is "take it to the dealer". How about y'all don't build a ***, & I won't have to take it to the dealer every other month, a-holes.

I'm taking this thing to the metroplex Wednesday. I ain't coming back with it.

I'm really sorry your having such crappy luch Aaron, no one likes to see that out of a new bike.

I mean, it's a 1st World problem, ya know. Not really that big of a deal, not like I'm gonna starve to death today or anything, it's just frustrating. The lack of good dealers, skilled mechanics, & complete lack of any help from Triumph NA, at every stage of ownership, was really unexpected. Out of the 10-12 people I know that have a Tenere (or other Jap bikes for that matter), I've never heard of any experience like mine.

Yowza! People like to give HD, BMW, and KTM a stink about their reliability, but that is crazy.

I was thinking about a lowered XRX as a next bike and this is going to give me some pause. In the GS vs Tiger fight, I thought Triumph had the reliability edge.

Triumph had the edge over a Beemer. My god what have you been smoking.

I've never taken any one of the last 4 yamahas I've owned to the dealer for a warranty issue and each one was cover with their YES policy (apparently I wasted that money).

My S10 isn't the most exciting bike performance wise but on the flip side it never even crosses my mind that I may break down on a trip.

Looking back, I've had 2 major recalls (totaling 12 weeks in the shop), been stranded twice by breakdowns (once in Arkansas, once in Colorado), had such poor service work at the dealer (the only dealer within 150 miles) as to require several trips back to the dealer (or a different dealer because I was far away from home), & now this, another major component failure. I've never had any help at all from Triumph North America, but if you look at the Explorer forum, they often give help (in the form of free or reduced replacement parts & warranty work on out-of-warranty bikes) to their European customers. I guess the American customer is the red headed step child of their customer base. I don't believe I could have spent my money on any other bike & seen the problems & depreciation that this one has, it's more like a boat than a bike at this point. You can bet your *** I'm never buying another. Looks like I am stuck with it now, as it is not worth the absolute beating I would take on trade in. I could probably take off the farkles & sell them for more than the bike now. My only hope is that somebody who is unaware of the financial pain & personal agony associated with this bike (& the brand) steals it & gets far enough away from me (before it breaks down again) that it is not salvageable. Triumph has made me a true believer in Japaneese bikes.

I have a friend who has been a pro motorcycle mechanic for the last 40 some odd years. He works on all brands. His opinion, with out any doubt, is that Yamaha makes the most reliable(and best quality)bike. He claims a lot of the other manufactures have cut-cost thru lean manufacturing and the other popular corporate trends of reducing cost. I have owned many Yamaha's over the years and never had any warranty work done.

If my GSA doesn't prove to be reliable and cost effective, I will be all over a Super Tenere.

I have a friend who has been a pro motorcycle mechanic for the last 40 some odd years. He works on all brands. His opinion, with out any doubt, is that Yamaha makes the most reliable(and best quality)bike. He claims a lot of the other manufactures have cut-cost thru lean manufacturing and the other popular corporate trends of reducing cost. I have owned many Yamaha's over the years and never had any warranty work done.

If my GSA doesn't prove to be reliable and cost effective, I will be all over a Super Tenere.

It won't be as cost effective as the Yamaha that's for sure. But then at the end of the day you will look down and see your on a reliable Yamaha and want to trade back up to the BMW.

It won't be as cost effective as the Yamaha that's for sure. But then at the end of the day you will look down and see your on a reliable Yamaha and want to trade back up to the BMW.

Don't look down then, keep looking ahead at the road and keep riding. Lol

_

Most of the guys that have had reliability issues with their BMW's considered getting their Tenere's trading up.

I don't believe I could have spent my money on any other bike & seen the problems & depreciation that this one has, it's more like a boat than a bike at this point.

It's unfortunate that you've seen this kind of "luck".

But you can't look at it as an investment. It's a toy. As model years change, value drops and in this case quite dramatically.

There will come a point when depreciation stops. Like on a V-strom, one taken reasonable care of will fetch $3-3500 pretty easily.

I'm in a similar boat as you with my RT. I bought it at a fair price, but advances in tech and performance and new models being introduced and seen the value drop pretty dramatically.

The difference between our platforms, is that I reasonably trust that I can get home on mine.

The question you have to ask yourself is ...

Do I take my lumps today and sell for $6-7K or spend $1500 on it and sell it for the same $6K? or $5K?

When looking at a $1500 repair, you could sell it today for $5K as is and have the same money in your checking account and a lot less stress.

Last edited:
& if you buy that Beemer
A trip to the dealer for a look at it mabe

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that you've seen this kind of "luck".

But you can't look at it as an investment. It's a toy. As model years change, value drops and in this case quite dramatically.

There will come a point when depreciation stops. Like on a V-strom, one taken reasonable care of will fetch $3-3500 pretty easily.

I'm in a similar boat as you with my RT. I bought it at a fair price, but advances in tech and performance and new models being introduced and seen the value drop pretty dramatically.

This is why, if you want reliability and don't need to be cutting edge, it's best to go used. By the time you buy, you'll be able to find out the reliability of the particular machine you are looking at, you'll know which years to avoid, and the depreciation is already eaten by someone else.

Also, with motorcycles, you can almost always find a couple year old bike with low miles bought by someone who didn't ride it as much as they'd planned. Sadly, this does not seem to happen with trucks.

This thread has me wanting a lightly used Tenere now. :rofl:

Back