• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best pies in Texas

Blue Bonnet #1???? last time in that place I had to use a spoon to eat my peanut butter pie, it was so runny.

A few folks (like Kurt) have been underwhelmed by Bluebonnet.

The comments to that link mention that Royers was left out and Sam's in Fairfield. At least TWT has been to those.

I have visited half of the 18, all due to TWT Pie Runs.
A couple of places were local to DFW that I have never heard of before.

How credible can this review be when the writer admits she's never eaten coconut cream pie?

They missed the Flying Saucer in Oak Forest. I've seen lines three blocks long to get a Flying Saucer pie during the holidays. Nothing but great pies.

They did include Florida's Kitchen. What a pleasant surprise that place was.

A few folks (like Kurt) have been underwhelmed by Bluebonnet.

In all fairness, I heard they have remodeled since I was last there six years ago. I'm willing to give them another chance, but I still don't think they are really set up for a Pie Run.

Don't know how many people noticed, but many of those "Best" places are using store bought refrigerator crusts. No thank you. Half the value of the pie should be graded on the quality of the crust.

Using store bought refrigerator crusts and pouring in canned pie filling is a :shame:. With a foot of meringue is on it, it is still an inferior pie and should not be on the "Best of" anything list in my opinion.

However, some of the other places did look interesting/more appealing.

Last edited:
In all fairness, I heard they have remodeled since I was last there six years ago. I'm willing to give them another chance, but I still don't think they are really set up for a Pie Run.

Kurt we are there once a month and they remodeled but get this they made the parking lot bigger? So the inside capacity is the same as it was before. Why would they not fix the main entrance narrow hallway on the side most folks enter and exit from? They are as busy as always. Never had a bad meal there. Just crowded unless you get there before or after the rush.

We picked up a Lemon Merange pie from Sam's BBQ in Fairfield for Thanksgiving. Definitely a thumbs up from us. And Sam's is a regular pie run for the guys here. Pie was under $20.

They missed the Flying Saucer in Oak Forest. I've seen lines three blocks long to get a Flying Saucer pie during the holidays. Nothing but great pies.

They did include Florida's Kitchen. What a pleasant surprise that place was.

Have you been to Florida's? I've heard of it, but reading their reviews, from terrible to awesome. Which is it?? lol

Don't know how many people noticed, but many of those "Best" places are using store bought refrigerator crusts. No thank you. Half the value of the pie should be graded on the quality of the crust.

Using store bought refrigerator crusts and pouring in canned pie filling is a :shame:. With a foot of meringue is on it, it is still an inferior pie and should not be on the "Best of" anything list in my opinion.

However, some of the other places did look interesting/more appealing.

I agree with you; crusts are integral-integral! to the pie. But how do you know which places use pre-made crusts?

Had a pretty good piece of coconut pie at the Uptown in Thorndale a few Sundays ago. Son had a pecan and pumpkin. Said the pecan was the better of the two.

FYI - The Pie Peddler now has a location in Downtown Waco. 300 S 6th St.
Only been open about 4 weeks now. Their original location, and still there, is in Glenrose.

It is not too far from the Silos, but just far away that parking has not been a problem. Also a new Mexican place will be opening next to them, in the same building, this fall. It is being built out now.

Back