• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

... Most places in TX that are still shown as a "road", I'm pretty sure my bike can ride even if I can't...

That's a really good point. I came to realize pretty quickly that I was getting in the bikes way a lot of times. It's (regardless of which one it is) way better at doing this stuff than I am.

That's a really good point. I came to realize pretty quickly that I was getting in the bikes way a lot of times. It's (regardless of which one it is) way better at doing this stuff than I am.

Absolutely! I tell people that ask about how the brand of tires on the bike or the bike itself does in a particular situation, the motorcycle isn't the limiting factor here.

I didn't know the VFR1200 existed until I went into a dealership to test ride the Tenere' and saw one. It doesn't get much in the way of love or conversation that I've seen. I kinda wonder at what market it's aimed at. It doesn't seem to penetrate the ADV market well.

The VFR designation was throwing me off.
Just looked it up and it looks like a nice bike to me. Definitely for a specific crowd.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I thought it might be fun to get a motorcycle that pulls a little harder, but can still go down a gravel road without an issue. That's got me looking at the VFR1200X and KTM 1290 Super Adventure R but also wondering how the heavier weight affect the ride.

I would only consider those if riding two-up is a concern. The AT should be more than enough for yourself. The AT makes enough power, just unsure of how the chassis handles weight.

An interesting thought is compare power numbers of what riders in 2018 consider for touring and light offroad vs what superbikes were making in 1998. Listen to an old rider talk about how the CB750 was only for hairy chested men and changed everything when it came on the scene. It had 60hp and weighed 500 pounds.

We have let ourselves become convinced that the next bike is so much better than our current one. Occasionally I encounter a rider that has had the same bike (or shooter and same gun) for decades. I am jealous of their satisfied mind.

I thought the VFR was generally categorized as a sport tourer; it never would have occurred to me to include it in the conversation with adventure bikes. I'm not sure I'd care to maneuver that big V-4 and all that plastic down a camp road and over a cattle grate or two. Is there something I'm missing?

Ah, thanks for the explanation; I don't know that model at all. As if bike names and designations aren't confusing enough already....... :giveup:

Not tired of it, its a cool bike. I got the AT because everything I read said it was a true 50/50 bike. Since I had no idea what type of riding I would like to do, it seemed like a good starting point.

There is a saying in sailboat racing that "Big boats get the glory but the small boat makes the sailor." I think it applies in motorcycles as well. I'm not suggesting that you get rid of your AT, but a new rider might want to consider adding a small bore dual sport to the stable. It will teach a lot of riding skills and insights that otherwise get masked by the throttle. Plus they can be a boat load of fun.

It will teach a lot of riding skills and insights that otherwise get masked by the throttle.

Can you explain what you meant by that?

I have a 1981 Yamaha SR185 exciter that is pretty light compared to my Versys 650. I'm pretty sure having such a light bike made it easy to develop bad habits that are much more dangerous on the 650 than on the 185 simply due to weight.

With the 185, if it feels like its going to fall over while I'm riding, its much easier to shift my weight to straighten it back out. On the 650, if it feels like its going over, it is already too late for me to "save" it.

I understand those are my experiences and not the "rules", but experience is how we judge the world around us.

I'm like Rsquared, basically I want as light a bike as I can get for the job. Everything just seems easier that way.

My first response to your question is if you are a new rider, why are you looking at high end expensive bikes? Every bike you have listed is at the top of the heap for their brand. I don't know what you're riding now now, if anything, but my advice would be to look for a beginner bike in the 500 to 700cc range. I have been riding since to early 70's and my previous bike was a Versys 650 which I dearly loved. There a some really nice used bikes for sale on this forum , including a heavily modded Versys which looks like it would go anywhere you dare. Good luck with your choice and have fun.

Not too many folks who buy adventure bikes are mightily concerned with acceleration over 80mph. Adventure bikes make fine commuters, great weekend back road toys, and excellent lightweight tourers. Pavement ripping freeway dragsters - not so much. More important is simply whether you can pull around that Winnebago and squirt safely by - my little Wee will do that and rocket up to 90mph with plenty of change to spare, and I'm sure so will the AT.

Measure the two this way
HP is how fast you get to that wall before you hit it
Torque is how far you move the wall after you hit it

Now just contemplating if its time to make the (inevitable for me) jump to 1200/1300cc.

Funny you mention that because I was just searching Craigslist for something like a CRF250L or maybe an XT250 just to see what they go for. I've had a lot of fun on an old Yamaha BW200 my father in law has out in Glen Rose. Too bad that bike isn't street legal or I'd have it at my house already.

I've had a lot of fun on an old Yamaha BW200 my father in law has out in Glen Rose. Too bad that bike isn't street legal or I'd have it at my house already.

No, but .... it could be and what a screaming hoot that would be. :rider:

That ship has already sailed :)

After talking to a lot of people about first bikes, there seems to be two camps mainly. One says start with a 250 or 500, other says go big and figure it out as you go.

I chose the latter and started with a 1000cc bike. Now just contemplating if its time to make the (inevitable for me) jump to 1200/1300cc.

If you want to be a faster rider, go big. If you want to be a better rider, go small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One quick observation on displacement, a couple of hundred CC's here or there won't tell the whole story or make the difference in liter plus bikes. BMW's S1000XR "Adventure Sports Bike" comes in with 165HP, 84LB-FT torque and a little over 500lbs. I'd bet in Tim's Winnebago passing test, both Hondas would be be watching tail light. I'd like to have one, but it' not $13K better than my elderly RT.

Sounds like you're really interested in the VFR. If so, buy one. Frankly there is really no better justification for a motorcycle other than "I want it." The numbers, while fun to discuss, really don't matter.

Back