• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Known Issues with KTM 1290 GT

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
Let me know as soon as possible please. Bike being considered is a 2016 with 16K miles. I known a valve check is due in 2,600 miles.

KTM haters with nothing of value to add can just move on to the next thread.

1686757665921.png

I would also imagine the the Super Duke R and this GT would share issues as they're very closely related.

I don't believe he's had the GT specifically, but he's certainly had several of the platform. Not too many miles on them though as he's not much of a tourer so much as a local canyon carver.

I had a 16 GT and a 20 SDR. I prefer the GT due to the added wind protection and larger fuel tank. The only issue on the 16’s that I’m aware of was a software update that improved the electronic suspension. The only negatives were the cruise control on the right hand side and the up only quick shifter. Both of which are easy to get used to. I’ll probably own another GT someday…

I had a 16 GT and a 20 SDR. I prefer the GT due to the added wind protection and larger fuel tank. The only issue on the 16’s that I’m aware of was a software update that improved the electronic suspension. The only negatives were the cruise control on the right hand side and the up only quick shifter. Both of which are easy to get used to. I’ll probably own another GT someday…
Thanks. Good info.

Let me know as soon as possible please. Bike being considered is a 2016 with 16K miles. I known a valve check is due in 2,600 miles.

KTM haters with nothing of value to add can just move on to the next thread.

View attachment 352043
The only thing wrong with that bike is that it's not mine! Bee-you-tee-fuhl!

Wait, why were you even looking at this if you already have a 1290 SAR?
I’m not speaking for him but SAR has reduced hp from 175 to 160 or so. It is also a really tall adventure bike. The GT will ride like a sport touring bike, more sport than touring. I believe it would be a much different experience.

A good friend in Arkansas had one that he but over 50k on in just a little over two years . Tires , chains , and oil . I think the only thing that broke was a coil pack on him that took several weeks to get a new one .

So this was a bit of an impulse buy. I thought I'd throw a number out on the auction and see what happens. I was VERY surprised it didn't go for a lot more. A friend in the used MC business thought it would go for over $10K. I just don't think the bringatrailer crowd are that KTM savvy. Probably not the best audience for the sale.

That said, I do love my 1290SAR however I've been a little disappointed with it's high-speed stability. When loaded with bags and above a certain speed it 'swims' pretty excessively, and I'm not talking just a bit of a wiggle. Lately I was already toying with the idea of selling it off and trying a 1290SAS instead to see if the 19" front wheel, street rubber and ride height made a difference. I really don't ride the SAR for much off-pavement riding. Maybe the very occasional dirt road.

So the plan here is to spend some time on the SDGT and see if my knees can live with it, and more importantly, if my wife can live with the pillion comfort. If those two things happen I'll be putting the SAR for sale. If not, I'll sell the SDGT and probably come out ok on the experiment.

The 2022 1290S is just as much a swimmer as you call it . Don't buy one thinking it's more stable . I enjoy its power and wheelies in rally mode though. No difference from my 1190R as far as weaving at speed

When loaded with bags and above a certain speed it 'swims' pretty excessively
Any chance we can elaborate further on the word "Certain" without self incriminating? I must not ride at "Certain" speeds or just didn't notice it. :D

The 2022 1290S is just as much a swimmer as you call it . Don't buy one thinking it's more stable . I enjoy its power and wheelies in rally mode though. No difference from my 1190R as far as weaving at speed
This is invaluable info for me. I really appreciate you sharing it.
Any chance we can elaborate further on the word "Certain" without self incriminating? I must not ride at "Certain" speeds or just didn't notice it. :D
Let's say there's at least 3 digits

are the 1190 and 1290 engines and suspension any smoother as the generations progress? I rode a 1090 one time and it would not have worked at all for a LD street/moto camp tourer type ride, but would have been a good choice for a huge dirtbike.

I can't speak for the 1090, but the 1190/1290 I think are excellent LD cruisers. I've done several 1,000 mile trips one way and was very comfortable at reasonable speeds. The non-R bikes have adjustable suspension that can make the ride more comfortable. The seating position is also very comfortable, although you do get a fair amount of wind from the small screens.

I've VERY curious as to how I will fit on the SDGT. That bike is really sexy to me but time will tell if I'm comfortable on it for longer distances.

I can't speak for the 1090, but the 1190/1290 I think are excellent LD cruisers. I've done several 1,000 mile trips one way and was very comfortable at reasonable speeds. The non-R bikes have adjustable suspension that can make the ride more comfortable.
The R's have adjustable suspension too. ;)

Yup, I had no complaints about my 1190 motor getting it home from California. Seat height was my only complaint, but it was less about seat height so much as it was about leg length. :D

Back