• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Known Issues with KTM 1290 GT

So this was a bit of an impulse buy. I thought I'd throw a number out on the auction and see what happens. I was VERY surprised it didn't go for a lot more. A friend in the used MC business thought it would go for over $10K. I just don't think the bringatrailer crowd are that KTM savvy. Probably not the best audience for the sale.

That said, I do love my 1290SAR however I've been a little disappointed with it's high-speed stability. When loaded with bags and above a certain speed it 'swims' pretty excessively, and I'm not talking just a bit of a wiggle. Lately I was already toying with the idea of selling it off and trying a 1290SAS instead to see if the 19" front wheel, street rubber and ride height made a difference. I really don't ride the SAR for much off-pavement riding. Maybe the very occasional dirt road.

So the plan here is to spend some time on the SDGT and see if my knees can live with it, and more importantly, if my wife can live with the pillion comfort. If those two things happen I'll be putting the SAR for sale. If not, I'll sell the SDGT and probably come out ok on the experiment.

I'd check SAG and make sure everything is good with suspension. Haven't seen too many complaints about high speed stability on those.

Back