• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Noob question re: boots

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Williamson
All,

Being new to motorcycles and ATGATT, I am contemplating gear choices. Two things come to mind: 1) as a new motorcycle rider, I expect my fair share of "dynamic get-off's" and 2) numerous warnings from others about broken ankles & such.

So, I've been reading posts and searching the net for riding boots and have discovered that purpose built boots all seem to look like they belong on an Imperial Storm Trooper or ones that look like a Harley Davidson accessory.

Since one of the main reasons I want a bike is to get out of the city and go camping, I am wanting something that is essentially a camping/hiking suitable boot but will offer reasonable protection for my feet and ankles. What I can't seem to find is information explaining the nature of the protection that riding specific boots offer so I can determine if a particular boot offers sufficient protection. So, is there specific armor or a particular design feature inherent in motorcycle riding boots that would preclude a well designed hiking boot from working for me?

Thanks, Ken

Ken,

HD boot are ok, but I prefer something along the lines of the Bates Police Tactical boot

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-...ch-Tactical-Sport-Side-Zip-Boot?galleryId=G-F

Side zip, breathable and the leather and 1680 Denier is a good combination. This is what I use and love them for street use and light off road use where I am not getting crazy. These are an 80% use boot.

They do carry them at Academy sports that where I bought my last pair, and comfy to walk in as well.

Those Bates boots like fine, if you like or can tolerate a short boot. I like a tall boot shaft and my feet don't like being tightly confined.

Ken,
Short answer is no.

Most riding boots offer ankle protection -- the primary (other than water resistance) attribute of motorcycle boots. My Alpinestar Harlem boots, purchased because they DO NOT look like storm trooper boots, offer decent ankle protection, but likely not much more than a heavy hiking boot.

Ken,

HD boot are ok, but I prefer something along the lines of the Bates Police Tactical boot

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-...ch-Tactical-Sport-Side-Zip-Boot?galleryId=G-F

Side zip, breathable and the leather and 1680 Denier is a good combination. This is what I use and love them for street use and light off road use where I am not getting crazy. These are an 80% use boot.

They do carry them at Academy sports that where I bought my last pair, and comfy to walk in as well.
I completely agree, but will add one thing. I have the same boots, but mine are Goretec lined. I've been caught in some surprise showers and having my feet stay nice and dry is a good bonus. The only downside is that they get somewhat toasty in the summer.

As far as ankle protection, most street boots you will find that are motorcycle related are simply an ankle pad or plastic disc that protect your ankle from an impact. The Bates boots also have that very same ankle protection (pad form). So far I haven't found one single street boot that offers any protection from twisting an ankle and still being able to walk for more than 5 minutes. Those two things just don't go together. But then again, twisted ankles aren't something that you really, really have to worry about while street riding.

One other thing about the Bates stuff. There is no comparison to the tread on the bottom when compared to any street boot on the market. They make awesome hiking boots, as well as darn good moto boots.

Keep in mind that a boot that slides on will also slide off. If you don't go with a motorcycle boot at least get a boot that laces tight, has a side zipper that tightens up around the foot, or an engineer boot that tightens at the ankle with a strap. Even an engineer type boot that isn't tightened will come off in a violent crash.

All,

Being new to motorcycles and ATGATT, I am contemplating gear choices. Two things come to mind: 1) as a new motorcycle rider, I expect my fair share of "dynamic get-off's" and 2) numerous warnings from others about broken ankles & such.

So, I've been reading posts and searching the net for riding boots and have discovered that purpose built boots all seem to look like they belong on an Imperial Storm Trooper or ones that look like a Harley Davidson accessory.

Since one of the main reasons I want a bike is to get out of the city and go camping, I am wanting something that is essentially a camping/hiking suitable boot but will offer reasonable protection for my feet and ankles. What I can't seem to find is information explaining the nature of the protection that riding specific boots offer so I can determine if a particular boot offers sufficient protection. So, is there specific armor or a particular design feature inherent in motorcycle riding boots that would preclude a well designed hiking boot from working for me?

Thanks, Ken

I think first question is what type of riding you will do, that will determine type of gear. Will you be commuting to work over paved roads, or mainly non-paved roads (dirt, gravel, mud, etc).

My personal choice has always been just a simple hiking boot, like a chukka boot.

The last time I took a low-speed street spill - many years ago - I was wearing a moderately priced ankle-high hiking boot. The pavement chewed a small hole in the boot, and my ankle wasn't hurt in the least; only my pride.

What size are you? I have an older extra pair of Sidi Vertabrae's you can try out for free....PM Me. I swear by Sidi boots they are the best BUT their higher price reflects it. I am on my 4th pair having worn them for over a decade.

While I cannot really recommend anything else as I haven't tried other boots, I have only one thought. You DO NOT want to be that guy on crutches people make fun of because you chose poorly in protective foot wear. I know people who have slipped at lights, gas stations or other places with the bike falling over taking them down. Ankle and feet between bike and cement/curb became cast and crutches for many weeks.

I think first question is what type of riding you will do, that will determine type of gear. Will you be commuting to work over paved roads, or mainly non-paved roads (dirt, gravel, mud, etc).

What he said. Next, choose a dedicated riding boot. Try several on checking for comfort and protection, the focus being on get-off protection rather than walking comfort. I believe there is a direct correlation between how long the Goretex membrane stays intact / keeps your feet dry and the amount of walking, hiking and general wear the boot is subjected to. Goretex liners have taped or "welded" seams that can separate with use and . . . . ehem . . . . have you ever worn through a sock with those big old toe nails? You get the idea. Be kind to your Goretex (and your wallet) and pack your hikers and change when you plan to do a lot of walking.

My choice(s)? I do mostly street touring and commuting with an occasional dirt road. Summer: TCX Air-tech - Winter: Sidi On Road.

Just a question, but how is the TCX different or better than any other non-motorcycle boot? There is no extra ankle support, sure there is a shifter pad so you don't scuff up your kicks, but other than that it looks like a boot. Granted, a fancy and expensive boot, but it's still just a boot.

I rode close to 60k miles with the Alpinestars Tech Touring boots and I honestly feel safer now that I've moved to a non-moto boot. The Astar boot was loose because it only secured with a side zip that went halfway up, and then it was just velcro holding it on from there. The ankle protection was a little plastic disc about the size of a silver dollar and that was it. And the tread was a joke. All that for close to $300! Point being... just because something comes from a moto company doesn't mean it's worth a hoot. And just because something doesn't come from a moto company doesn't exactly mean that it is junk.

Oh yeah, and the get what you pay for.... I'm not buying it one bit. I've had the spendy stuff, and seen how poorly some of it works. Buy for function, not because of brand names and/or price.

What he said. Next, choose a dedicated riding boot. Try several on checking for comfort and protection, the focus being on get-off protection rather than walking comfort. I believe there is a direct correlation between how long the Goretex membrane stays intact / keeps your feet dry and the amount of walking, hiking and general wear the boot is subjected to. Goretex liners have taped or "welded" seams that can separate with use and . . . . ehem . . . . have you ever worn through a sock with those big old toe nails? You get the idea. Be kind to your Goretex (and your wallet) and pack your hikers and change when you plan to do a lot of walking.

My choice(s)? I do mostly street touring and commuting with an occasional dirt road. Summer: TCX Air-tech - Winter: Sidi On Road.

Exactly - if you dont commute and your are doing different styles of riding you will need at least two different pair of boots. Touring you will need protection but also comfort as you will wear them all day and there will be walking to eat, gas, scenery observing. Also, you need to satisfy two opposing characteristics - ease of on/off but secure fit in case of get/off.

To me the only boots to satisfy this are those that have lacing systems and a securing strap that locks boot on your foot and keeps lacing ends from flopping in the wind where they can get caught or hang up.

Since I commute almost every day on my bike these boots also need to be comfortable as I dont change them.

I also do long distance riding and when I can afford a good second pair - will need something that has a zipper and locking strap - dont need to fool with laces after a long day of riding - second consideration for touring is waterproof as I know there will be times riding in the rain for hours.

Lots of great responses and I appreciate them all. It sounds like I will want to go with two pairs of boots: one for riding to where I want to go, and the second for hiking around once I get there. I suppose that a good pair of hiking boots would suffice for both, but since I can afford both and since packing a pair of dedicated hiking boots won't take up that much space or weight, there doesn't seem to be a reason for not packing the second pair.

Thank you for all the advice. It is appreciated.

Cheers, Ken

Oh yeah, and the get what you pay for.... I'm not buying it one bit. I've had the spendy stuff, and seen how poorly some of it works. Buy for function, not because of brand names and/or price.

I'm with him, don't buy spendy stuff or decide based on brand name or price. Just buy based on function, but don't get a motorcycle boot for riding a motorcycle. Really?:doh:

It still amazes me the advice given to a new rider who asks on TWT.:giveup:

My offer still stands for the free boots, just drop me a PM. You're in Dallas, I'm north in Frisco and can meet over the weekend.

Just buy based on function, but don't get a motorcycle boot for riding a motorcycle. Really?:doh:

I guess I should clarify... don't buy a boot for motorcycle riding strictly because it is made by a motorcycle clothing company. There is lots of stuff out there that you don't get what you pay for. My previous example of the Alpinestar touring boot is a good one. They charge close to $300 for a boot that is less protective than a $99 police work boot. I konw, I've owned them both.;-)

I wear these. Comfortable and offer lots of protection. No one has ever said I look like a storm trooper. :mrgreen:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/12279/ITEM/TCX-Matrix-2-GTX-Boots.aspx

2008_TCX_Matrix_2_GTX_Boots_Black.jpg

I wear my Red Wing lace up steel toes for most of my riding, occasionally I wear my Scarpa hiking boots. However I find the soles of the hiking boots to be a bit slippery on wet pavement.

Check out here:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots

Very good people to deal with, and good prices to boot (pun intended).

This one appears to be a very good value right now, with ankle protection, if they have it in your size:

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/boots/tcx/synergy_wr_touring_motorcycle_boot.html

For summer riding, I have an older version of these:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/slash_motorcycle_boots.html

And really appreciate the ventilation when the weather is hot.

I find this 'boot' a good alternative to buying proper motorcycle boots
In proper dirt boots you would have had the same outcome. Sorry to be a party pooper, but I've seen it too many times in person. There are some things to keep stuff like that from happening, but they aren't things having to do with your footwear.

So would someone explain to me why I should wear these "proper" motorcycle boots?
http://www.newenough.com/street/boo...s/joe_rocket/pro_street_motorcycle_boots.html

Or these...
http://www.newenough.com/street/boo...pinestars/octane_motorcycle_riding_shoes.html

Or even these....
http://www.newenough.com/street/boo...lpinestars/smx_1_riding_motorcycle_shoes.html

Yep, they are all from certified "motorcycle" clothing companies so by some people's definition they are "proper" motorcycle boots, yet I wouldn't wear any of them for one mile. Oh yeah, they are expensive so surely they protect your feet!:roll:

I found my boots on ebay - as usual guy got into biking in a big way quick, after a month and several drops, etc decided it wasnt for him, as usual stuff sat around finally decided to sell. Got barely used pair of ICONS for less than 30 bucks including shipping, retail is 120 bucks. Was going to just wear them for commuting and short trips but they are so comfortable that I keep them on at work and they are great for longer cruises. Be patient - and you might be able to find two pair for the price of one.

Thank again for all the replies. Here's what I've concluded from all the info and opinions.

1) I want to enjoy riding my bike somewhere I can camp & hike. These are two entirely different activities and require different equipment. While I'm a "minimalist" camper, I still don't do it without the appropriate gear to enjoy it safely. Cycling should be no different.

2) I love my feet and ankles. They may be ugly and smelly, but they're mine and they work. I want to keep it that way. The best hiking in the world is wasted on someone who broke their ankles getting there.

3) Opinions are like ... uhh... belly buttons. Everybody has one and they often differ, but each one is usually arrived at honestly and with reason. My job as a new rider is to thoughtfully consider the wisdom and experience graciously offered by others and try to come to decisions that work for me. With that in mind, I will go with a two boot solution.

4) Between the on-line sources and physical retail outlets, I have plenty of options to choose from and the ability to go check them out myself. I prefer to do this instead of taking up someone on their generous offer to try something out. This way, I get more bang for my buck and I can avoid feeling like I'm imposing on the kindness of others.

So, I'm off to the cycle stores and may come back with more specific questions later. Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers, Ken

Bates Enforcer Series. Most comfortable boots I have worn. They are not true "motorcycle" boots, but they have a composite shank in the footbed to help with vibration, are waterproof and goretex lined. They are not hot in the summer, keep my feet warm down to about 50 in the winter, and seem to be fairly decent at protecting my ankles.

http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-bates-delta-8-gtx-sz

Back