• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet Disposal?

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Question. What's the proper protocol for disposing of a helmet that has taken a hit? After my 11/24 accident, Progressive generously paid me to replace my Shoei full-face Snell approved helmet. There's probably nothing wrong with it, but I'm an honest guy. I've just received my brand new Shoei Multitec flip-face and I start wearing it tomorrow.

So, what to do with the oldie? Suggestions?

Send it to Shoei for inspection. Worst case they tell you it is trash, but they might send it back saying that the eps is just fine. Then you have a spare for a rainy day.

I burn mine. Never let it touch the ground. The Boy Scouts will perform a special ceremony.:rofl:

And these were the serious responses. Can't wait for the joking to begin.....:lol2:

Actually, I thought Bill's idea was the best. Get it re-certified.

Send it to Shoei for inspection. Worst case they tell you it is trash, but they might send it back saying that the eps is just fine. Then you have a spare for a rainy day.

I just kept mine on the shelf, since I still like the way it looks and I think it makes a nice souvenir... although, this idea doesn't sound to bad either. And it's free! Wish I'd known about this service prior to buying a new lid.

Yes, Shoei offers a free impact inspection service for any Shoei helmet.* To have your helmet inspected, please send it to;

Shoei Helmets
3002 Dow Ave
Suite 128
Tustin, CA 92780
Attn: Inspections

Be sure to include a letter with a brief description of the issue with the helmet, as well as a daytime phone number and return address. Once we receive the helmet it will take 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion the helmet is returned to you with a letter stating the findings of our inspection. Your helmet is returned to you if it passes the inspection or not. There is no charge for the inspection, and the UPS Ground return shipping is free. To see a video on how to pack your helmet for shipping, click here.

Donate it to fire-rescue for practice in proper removal training.

I'm getting this idea. Remember the the "100 things to do with a dead cat" book? Scratch out cat, insert helmet. Wonder how far that'll go.

Actually, I like the idea of re-certifying it. I might give Shoei in California a call. By coincidence, I have a box right now, that's exactly the right size for shipping a Shoei helmet....

I actually have quite a few wrecked helmets that we have collected(some donated from members here) that we have planned on cutting in 1/2 and just doing a laymans research on EPS damage. Although the cutting part still hasn't happened we have displayed them countless times and places as a
"This is why you should wear a helmet" statement.

Mr Marie
SRAD

Reminds me the late 70s when Johnny Rutherford flipped his car at Indy, and slid upside down for 100 yards or so. A few nights later, he was on the Tonight Show with the helmet he was wearing. He put his hand up into the helmet and poked his index finger through a 1/2" hole that had been ground through the top. Made quite an impression.

Lots of good ideas.

1. Re-certify. It might be fine.

2. Do your own "Snell" testing. How well that thing would hold up to a sledge hammer.

3. Donate for removal practice is an excellent idea that I'd never even considered.

4. I like the target practice idea.

Interesting idea....especially if they will do the inspection. I opt for this.

RB

Interesting idea....especially if they will do the inspection. I opt for this.

RB

They do...:-)
Yes, Shoei offers a free impact inspection service for any Shoei helmet.* To have your helmet inspected, please send it to;

Shoei Helmets
3002 Dow Ave
Suite 128
Tustin, CA 92780
Attn: Inspections

Be sure to include a letter with a brief description of the issue with the helmet, as well as a daytime phone number and return address. Once we receive the helmet it will take 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion the helmet is returned to you with a letter stating the findings of our inspection. Your helmet is returned to you if it passes the inspection or not. There is no charge for the inspection, and the UPS Ground return shipping is free. To see a video on how to pack your helmet for shipping, click here.

Back