• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Today I think I'm the luckiest guy in the world!

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brewster
I was riding home today on I20 just west of 287. I don't really know how fast I was going, but considering the traffic was light to moderate I was likely somewhere close to 75 or so. Suddenly - very suddenly I couldn't see a thing. I was literally at zero zero visibility. This was like flying inside of a cloud but rather than experiencing it from the inside of a cockpit or cabin of a modern jet it was like being in an open air biplane. I'd had a radiator hose pop a year or so ago at low or no speed, and I was pretty sure that something similar was happening now. I was enveloped in a cloud of steam. As that idea registered in my head, I found it perplexing because all of the hoses are pretty new. Its funny the things that run through your mind at time like that.

I had no idea how the traffic picture was changing around me or if I was maintaining my lane. I pulled the clutch and I know I took a couple of seconds to flash my brake lights with my front brake lever because I was worried about being hit from behind as I decelerated rapidly. It suddenly seemed I had to get my visor up. I reached up with my right hand which is not the hand I normally use and I fumbled around with it before I got it opened. It didn't do any good anyway, I was still in the soup. My right hand went back on the handle bar and I became aware that my thumb was being burned. I'm concentrating on keeping the thing upright and as straight as I can when I become vaguely aware of a car passing on my left. Within a few moments my vision begins to clear and I move into the left lane and then to the shoulder. I figure it took th better part of a minute for the cooling system to vent its pressure and I probably traveled about an eighth of a mile in that time without being able to see anything.

I got off the bike pumped that I had pulled that off, but at the same time surprised I was not badly shaken. A quick examination of the bike revealed that the coolant filler neck failed just below where the cap seats. The burning on my thumb was the steam taking a trip directly at my hand.

I think I was real lucky. I was riding with my visor down which I rarely do. If I had gotten hot steam and or antifreeze on my face or in my eyes there's no telling how I might have reacted. I was wearing leather gloves which kept the heat bearable. For some stupid reason I wasn't wearing my jacket and I very, very rarely ride without it. Fortunately I didn't need it for its abrasion resistance. Of course I really got luck on the traffic. There are tons of different scenarios that could have made that worse. Heavier traffic or so much as a slight curve could have done me in. Just a couple of hours before, I was in a tight group of about 60 bikes. I shudder to think what could have happen if it had let loose there.

Yep, today is my day.

Good stuff. Wow. Glad you came out of that, man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I think I was real lucky. I was riding with my visor down which I rarely do. If I had gotten hot steam and or antifreeze on my face or in my eyes there's no telling how I might have reacted. I was wearing leather gloves which kept the heat bearable.

Man, that would have seriously ruined your day.

On a slightly different note, I was making a lazy left turn at a rural corner close to Alvarado today, and didn't see the stream of oil somebody had left earlier. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground in the middle of the intersection and the VStrom was about 6 feet beyond me. Gotta love those Joe Rockets and my brand new (talk about timing) engine guards. I have a tiny boo boo on my left elbow, and the bike didn't even take a scratch.

I'll meet you at 7-11 to buy that lottery ticket.

Wow, glad both of you are safe. Both of those are moments that you go home, pop a beer and kiss & hug the family (beer first in case they call you softy, we are bikers after all).

Maybe we should start a "The oh $#&% moment of the day"

Yes, Stroms seem to take very little to no damage with the right crash bars. Almost makes me wanna remove them so that way the bike looks damaged so I don't get accused of milking it. Don't ask how I know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Man, that would have seriously ruined your day.

On a slightly different note, I was making a lazy left turn at a rural corner close to Alvarado today, and didn't see the stream of oil somebody had left earlier. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground in the middle of the intersection and the VStrom was about 6 feet beyond me. Gotta love those Joe Rockets and my brand new (talk about timing) engine guards. I have a tiny boo boo on my left elbow, and the bike didn't even take a scratch.

I'll meet you at 7-11 to buy that lottery ticket.

I'm glad that worked out for you. Once you get passed a certain age, just falling down is a pretty traumatic experience.

2 winners today!

Mike, how did you get home?

When I realized what had happened, I knew I could drive it a short distance so I rode it across the highway and into a parking lot. BBrew, AKA the Dragin Lady came to get me from there. She got that nickname because she has driven her Dragin Wagon (Toyota minivan) through the Dragon with the trailer and she's always coming out to drag broke motorcyclists home. Usually me. That filler neck will be one of those garage souvenirs that will be around for a long time.

Thanks for the well wishes. I've been in a few tough spots where I thought it was not going to end well. I think the lesson from them is just to not give up. Maintain control as long as you can and see if you can salvage it. This time it worked.

Mike, this could have been REAL bad in so many ways. Being without vision at speed is something that will quickly end in a bad way almost every time.

Stuff happens. The more you ride, the higher the chance that sooner or later something is going to happen. You have really dodged a bullet.

Now that the danger is passed, it sounds like a poor design if a hose failure could cause catastrophic results.

Man, you dodged a big one there! Glad you dodged it successfully.

I think I'd build a guard or deflector shield to divert the water elsewhere; should that failure ever happen again. Just something to keep the water/ steam off of you! :deal:

No point buying a lotto ticket... You already used up your good luck for the day :-P

Sure glad you made it to a safe stop! :clap:

Back