• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2005 V-strom 650 won't start

Reaction score
First off, I have to say that I've been so very luck with this bike. I've had no real problems at all and now have about 57k miles on it. MOST of those miles in Mexico no less.

Well, I took the bike out for a short 6-day trip out to Galveston and took the long way back via Lake Texana: http://whrrl.com/experience/story/20497049

I noticed that the sound the bike makes when you turn the ignition (I'm guessing that's the fuel pump) starting sounding slower and longer on this trip. Not the quick 2-3 second high-pitch sound, but lower pitch and a bit longer I think. Just not the same sound.

I stopped off at a friend's ranch on the way back, got off the bike to hit the gate code, and then tried to restart. Nothing. No sound, no start. Ended up having to push start it.

Push started it when I left and road the last hour and half home no problem but it still won't start. I'm guessing that because I no longer hear that sound when I turn the ignition, that it's fuel pump related or perhaps some contact not being made with the ignition switch and the fuel pump.

I'm hoping it isn't the fuel pump itself since those are way expensive. If the fuel pump was failing, would I have been able to push start and ride home?

Any suggestions of simple things to check first?

If it is the fuel pump, any recommendations on where to get a cheap one? Like I said, I've already got 57k glorious miles on this bike, but I don't want to spend $500 on a new fuel pump when I know that I will likely replace this bike with a newer one soon.

I was hoping to get 1 or 2 more longer trips out of this bike before I retire it for a new one. Likely heading out West and doing the 4 corners next... that is, if I don't have to spend an arm and a leg getting it fixed right now. ;-)

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Once you determine that it is for sure the pump, just buy a used one on ebay, at half the price or less.

You sure its the pump and not the battery?

Let us know.

Greg

Once you determine that it is for sure the pump, just buy a used one on ebay, at half the price or less.

You sure its the pump and not the battery?

Let us know.

Greg

I just had a new battery put in about a month ago. It's been starting great. Actually, everything has been running great. This was just all of a sudden, so that's why I'm thinking maybe it's some connection that came loose?

The reason I think it's related to the pump is that when I turn the ignition, it doesn't make that high-pitched sound anymore that it's made for the last 4 years.

I would then look at a loose or dirty connection, then test the pump.

If you push started it and it ran good--with no loss of power--then that pretty much rules out the fuel pump.

Load test the battery. You can take it down to almost any parts store and they'll do it for free. But before you do that I'd put it on a charger and start checking for a loose wire. Battery connections first, then starter and just for grins, the side stand switch.

V-Stroms are notorious for vibrating stuff loose.

If you push started it and it ran good--with no loss of power--then that pretty much rules out the fuel pump.

Load test the battery. You can take it down to almost any parts store and they'll do it for free. But before you do that I'd put it on a charger and start checking for a loose wire. Battery connections first, then starter and just for grins, the side stand switch.

V-Stroms are notorious for vibrating stuff loose.

It ran fine. I push started it right up and road for an hour and half the rest of the way home on IH35 at around 80mph with no loss in power. I'm checking stuff, but don't know what I'm checking for other than a wire that isn't plugged in. If the battery wasn't connected the lights wouldn't work I'm guessing, so that's kinda ruled out.

The fact that whirring sound when I turn the ignition switch has me baffled. Even if the kickstand/clutch switches weren't working, wouldn't I hear that first whirring sound when I turn on the ignition?

Don't sure about the "sound" you mentioned changing, but I did have a problem with the clutch switch coming loose while in Corpus a couple years ago (I think STScott pulled it off ;-) ). I is a connector on the front side of the handlebar and can wiggle off. If it's off - no start, no nuthin', nada.

Check that and the sidestand switch.

I also doubt that it is a fuel pump problem since you were able to pushstart it.

I would suspect something in the starter circuit... (just a guess)

Just a couple thoughts. Sounds like something electrical in the starter circuit. Does it have a relay that powers the starter? Follow wires back from the starte to find where they go. Check all connections and fuses in that circuit. Once started the fuel pump may get power from another direction rather than draw from the battery.

Don't sure about the "sound" you mentioned changing, but I did have a problem with the clutch switch coming loose while in Corpus a couple years ago (I think STScott pulled it off ;-) ). I is a connector on the front side of the handlebar and can wiggle off. If it's off - no start, no nuthin', nada.

Check that and the sidestand switch.

I also doubt that it is a fuel pump problem since you were able to pushstart it.

I would suspect something in the starter circuit... (just a guess)

My Suzuki 1500 LC Intruder wouldn't start once and it was the switch in the clutch lever not making good contact. I had lights on but nothing else happening. It caught after moving the clutch lever a few times. Does it make any difference wether it's in neutral or in gear?

My Suzuki 1500 LC Intruder wouldn't start once and it was the switch in the clutch lever not making good contact. I had lights on but nothing else happening. It caught after moving the clutch lever a few times. Does it make any difference wether it's in neutral or in gear?

It just started!!! I tried just putting it in neutral as you suggested. Thanks! So that means there's an issue with the clutch switch then?

I could've sworn I'd already tried starting it in neutral, but I think I so habitually start with the clutch in that I may not have.

OMG!!! I am such a freakin' IDIOT! I can't believe I've ridden this bike for 57k miles... mostly in Mexico and I didn't realize it won't start in gear with kickstand down.

How could I be so stupid?! I tried everything believe me because I was delirious from lack of sleep, had been riding all day in the heat... and really didn't want to have to push start it.

Thanks everyone! I'll go crawl away in shame now.

:headbang: Sometimes you are the Dog, sometimes you are the Tree....

Don't sweat it, made me laugh.....

Of course I was laughing with you, not at you....:roll:

For myself, I am very glad to know I can push start my Wee. All bikes had kick starter's back in the day. Knowing that a dead battery won't leave me stranded is a good thing.
I listened to a Roy Buchanan CD today, he played the "Peter Gunn" theme song. I remember the TV show. Am I giving up my age!!! RH

Glad you got it resolved Skip.

My only little tidbit of info is that if your fuel pump ever does croak, don't bother looking for a Strom fuel pump on Ebay. They are few and far between, and they are still really expensive. When I was looking for mine, they were wanting $200 for a used one. Yes it's cheaper than $500, but it's still expensive.

I found that the fuel pumps off of certain gsxr's are identical minus the fuel sending unit. So you just pull your sending unit off, mount it on the new fuel pump, and you are golden. Oh yeah, the cost for a typical gsxr fuel pump on ebay... less than $50 shipped to your door...LOL

I didn't realize it won't start in gear with kickstand down.

That's just a Suzuki thing - it has bitten many a Zuk owner. :doh:

Oh, and BTW, that means your kickstand switch is working just fine. ;-)

For myself, I am very glad to know I can push start my Wee.

One caveat - you need battery power to the ECU (computer) - if your battery is toast then you most likely won't get it push-started...

It just started!!! I tried just putting it in neutral as you suggested. Thanks! So that means there's an issue with the clutch switch then?

I could've sworn I'd already tried starting it in neutral, but I think I so habitually start with the clutch in that I may not have.

Woo Hooo! :clap: Glad I could help.

Woo Hooo! :clap: Glad I could help.

Heh! LOL At first I read your post and thought, "Pffft... of course I tried putting it in neutral!" Then I thought... "Ummmm, uh... no, actually... I didn't try that."

Ran out to the garage. Put it in neutral, turned the key.. and then I heard the fuel pump prime, and start right up.

SUCH a relief!

I was in a panic because I'm getting ready to take a longer trip that I really shouldn't because I'm worried about the economy and spending money when I don't know if I'll make it back. A $500 repair would've likely meant I put the trip on the back burner instead.

I felt so bad for wasting people's time with a non-problem. But, it was REALLY great to see how many like yourself were willing to help me!

Lot's of help on vstrom.info and stromtrooper as well. Not so much on ADV, but I've never had much luck there anyway after my KLR debacle when I had the nerve to challenge the fact they wouldn't honor my warranty claim. But, I digress. ;-)

Thanks again everyone.

That's just a Suzuki thing - it has bitten many a Zuk owner. :doh:

Are there any street bikes made in the last 20 years that allow you to start the engine with the sidestand down? I've had Ducati, Kawasaki, Triumph, BMW, Yamaha, Honda and a few others. All of them had sidestand switches.

Glad you got the problem resolved and a very reasonable cost Skiphunt.

I am able to start my roadbike with the side stand down but only in neutral.

My dirt bike I can start in gear....but then it has no stand at all.

Are there any street bikes made in the last 20 years that allow you to start the engine with the sidestand down? I've had Ducati, Kawasaki, Triumph, BMW, Yamaha, Honda and a few others. All of them had sidestand switches.

My Harley has a sidestand swith that won't let it start in gear. I start it all the time in neutral while on the side stand and let it warm up while gearing up first thing in the morning. It won't start if it's in gear unless you pull the clutch in first. On the old Intruder I had to pull the clutch even when in neutral.

I found that the fuel pumps off of certain gsxr's are identical minus the fuel sending unit. So you just pull your sending unit off, mount it on the new fuel pump, and you are golden. Oh yeah, the cost for a typical gsxr fuel pump on ebay... less than $50 shipped to your door...LOL

I'd be VERY interested in what years/part numbers.

I read one blog with a guy riding RTW on his Wee. His pump went out in BFE so they adapted an EXTERNAL pump from IIRC, an Audi. I think the pump ended up costing like $25 or so, plus the shipping to BFE of course. And everyone knows shipping to BFE has GOT to be expensive. :lol2:

Back