• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 ET 500; OCT 10,11,12. RUSK Start

I spoke with Bean's and confirmed that we should have between 15-25 campers (both groups!). I will call again next week and give them a more firm number, so please make sure to check and tell BADTEX if your name should be on the first post but isn't.

Cost will be $10/head, everybody will pay their own way. Bean's will provide a breakfast in the morning. I didn't ask if they take cards or not, so plan to bring cash.

FYI - I have the numbers as:
Livingston - 11 confirmed, 6 possible
Rusk - 8 confirmed, 2 possible
Total - 19 confirmed, 8 possible, of which a handful will want a hotel.

Weather-guessers forecasting a wet Fri/Sat next weekend. What are the go/no go contingencies? A little moisture could prove helpful, but I'm curious how much rain turned last year's event into a quagmire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather-guessers forecasting a wet Fri/Sat next weekend. What are the go/no go contingencies? A little moisture could prove helpful, but I'm curious how much rain turned last year's event into a quagmire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year was only REALLY bad for the South group. There was only one section (of about 300 yards, up hill) that was bad for the north group. If the bottom falls out like last year we'll just steer around that section. The rest should be PREMO!!:rider:

So, here's the deal. My wife and I have been working on becoming foster parents for over a year. As of last Thursday, our home study is complete and we're officially approved. :clap:

What this means for all of you. There is a high likelihood that we will have an 9, 8, and 1 month old this coming week (Boy, boy, girl). :eek: The judge likes us for these kids, but other people have to review our home study and agree. If this happens, my wife and I will not be making this ride. We could get them this week, next week, or not at all.

This is the third year I've tried for this ride, but becoming parents is our dream.

I am trying hard to find a substitute driver, but figured I needed to let you guys know where we're at. :giveup: We would bring the two older ones along, but aren't so sure about camping with a 1 mo old baby.

I apologize for all of this coming to light now.

Put me down for a definite maybe. Still waiting to find out what my schedule looks like.

A couple of months ago "my" UPS dude expressed interest in an old barber chair I had sitting around. I told him to round up a strong young friend and come get it. Sunday afternoon he showed up, sans strong young friend. Like a dummy, I helped him load it. Big mistake, even with the weight belt on.

I'm out.

So, the only way we won't be there is if they give us a newborn before this weekend. This is not looking highly likely at this point. If we get older kids, they will come along for the adventure.
We will have to decide if we arrive Thursday night or Friday morning. I'm very excited.
Earlier, someone mentioned a GPS for loan. Is it still available?

... Earlier, someone mentioned a GPS for loan. Is it still available?

Yep - I may not be able to wrestle a bike right now but I can truck a GPS to Rusk and pick it up when you get back. Good excuse to get a Sonic Strawberry Malt!

Assuming you have a RAM ball already mounted it'll only take a few minutes to hook onto your battery (or you could use the Oregon which runs on AA's).

PM to arrange, pls.

I'm driving in from Heath Friday morning, will arrive by 8:00 or earlier. 4Runner is still available as a chase vehicle. In return I would welcome roadside assistance, if required, from someone with technical abilities, since my skills are tapped at anything beyond an oil change. I also have a Class 3 hitch if a trailer will be part of the equation.

Knobbies on, chain cleaned and lubed, fresh oil change.
a5a2ese8.jpg

Hopefully aluminum skid plate tomorrow night. If not, I'll just run the stock plastic one. Also adding power outlet tomorrow.

I'm driving in from Heath Friday morning, will arrive by 8:00 or earlier. 4Runner is still available as a chase vehicle. In return I would welcome roadside assistance, if required, from someone with technical abilities, since my skills are tapped at anything beyond an oil change. I also have a Class 3 hitch if a trailer will be part of the equation.

Wildernessrider offered a trailer to use. Do you want to get with him as far as verifying hitch size & plug needs?

I can provide mechanic support. I am packing my tire irons, spare 17 & 21 tubes, oil, patch kit, first aid kit (to include BVM in the chase vehicle), and basic metric sockets (8,10,12,14,17). I do not have a 12V compressor or a CO2 filler. I do all my own bike maintenance, though I haven't done any on the side of a road.

If Mr. Wilderness is still offering use of his trailer, I have no problem pulling it behind the 4Runner. We'll just need to coordinate pick up & drop off, since I won't hit the KOA until Friday AM.

I may not show up until Friday morning as well. Are we meeting up and parking at the Rusk KOA? I will try to be there around 7:15-7:30. My utility trailer has a 2" ball, with a round 6 pin lighting connector. (Not the flat 4 pin type). Weather guessers are calling for rain on Sat & Sun. Could be a muddy ride. :eek2:

IN::rider:
BADTEX KTM 625 SXC
Wilderness rider
Clutchless
Garfey KLX 250
Jsb223 DRZ 400
Alpine357
Muff903
mtnbikeboy

PROBABLE:
Beararcher KLR 650
texxter XR400r
rz_racer_69 XR650L

OUT
Aanarchy KTM 690 Enduro - OUT
Doug KTM - out

Here is what I have going and other wise. Those that I have on the "GO" list, I'll be looking for you before we leave Fri morn. Don't want to leave anyone.
We'll try too leave at 8:00 but it an't set in stone.
You guys on the "Prob" list, let me know if your going to make it so we don't leave with out you.

I've got all my bedding, clothes and stuff all packed. Bike gets preped and loaded tonight. :rider:

Weather forecast is worsening. It's going to be a wet Saturday, and on 50/50 tires, I'm out. Sorry for the last minute scratch.

Weave

I need to bail out... work obligations are keeping me in Dallas, despite my efforts to give the work to someone else :-( Next time....

To look at the weather, it looks like the Southern group will have a wet Saturday, but we have a decent chance of staying dry. It appears like it might stay north while we're down on the south side of the loop.

Track page should go active Friday morning if I've set it up properly...

Last edited:
We will be arriving tomorrow morning. We are aiming for 7:30. Do we want to compile a list of names/numbers to hand out?

I was really looking forward to this ride, but I have to bail out. My shock has started puking oil after a short ride yesterday. And I stripped one of the locking nuts taking it on and off a hundred times. :zen: You folks have a good time and take some pictures.

We will be arriving tomorrow morning. We are aiming for 7:30. Do we want to compile a list of names/numbers to hand out?

We'll wait on you!!!! You have our driver!!! :rofl:

Names and numbers sounds like a good idea.

Well looks like 6 as of right now.

This is my last entry.... KOA here I come. Be there in about an hour. (7:30)

Back