• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances of renting a bike on the Mexico side of the border?

I know about moto rentals in other cities in Mexico but none in the MexTrek corridor.

However, a good move might be to call

Adrenaline Motor Sports
2245 Austin Ave, McAllen, TX 78501
(956) 618-5007

If anyone had a clue about your question, they might

Awesome connection. Thanks, Bob. I missed their open hours today but plan to call tomorrow.

I know about moto rentals in other cities in Mexico but none in the MexTrek corridor.

Adrenaline Motor Sports
(956) 618-5007

Adrenaline Motor Sports
(956) 618-5007

Update: I spoke with a nice gentleman at Adrenaline, but he had no information. Suggested I call the McAllen Harley dealer. (really)

Since it's been a crazy day at the office, I haven't made that call yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last yr I was told at da Harley place that u could rent a Harley there for min 2-3 days for about $2-300 plus ins but not to Mexico, just in da states, n a Harley (really), even if it was allowed into Mexico, no offroad.

You guys wear full on gear while riding in Mexico? Mx boots? I've always been pretty minimalistic when it comes to this...

You guys wear full on gear while riding in Mexico? Mx boots? I've always been pretty minimalistic when it comes to this...

Before I went down to Mexico I wrestled with whether to wear my MX boots (Alpine Star Toucans) or my leather riding boots (Stylmartin Indians). The riding boots have some added ankle protection but nothing like the enduro boot but are a lot more comfortable. In the end I decided to go with the full protection.

I'm glad I did. I can't say whether my mx boot helped minimize the damage to my foot and leg when I fell but it certainly didn't increase it. I'll never know for sure. I do know you never plan on falling and getting hurt but if you do you'll be happy you did everything to protect yourself. Especially if you're in the backwoods of Mexico.

Last yr I was told at da Harley place that u could rent a Harley there for min 2-3 days for about $2-300 plus ins but not to Mexico, just in da states, n a Harley (really), even if it was allowed into Mexico, no offroad.

Sometimes you can be surprised. Years ago I was exploring with a companion on a BMW 1200GS and another on a BMW K1200LT. I was riding my BMW 1100GS. It was a road trip extending south to Guanajuato. We we riding the older route from Ciudad Victoria towards Tula. I wanted to detour to Miquijuana and Bustamante and back to the main highway. I was familiar with a two-track gravel and dirt section that connected these two villages. They were game. The detour was sensual indeed. Some riders always have game. It's what they do. The LT rider was in his late 60's and had ridden world wide. Surprises most often turn to the treasures of the sierras.

Yeah, it was more a thought that Harley dealers tend to have good customer service and might be knowledgable and willing to help.

Alas, Desperado Harley in McAllen was very nice but they had no information about the Mexico side.

I made a few calls to motorcycle shops in Reynosa and spoke to a nice gentleman at Italika Super Motos. He said there's nothing in that town.

When one door closes another one opens, or some such pithy phrase :lol2:

hehe I was hoping, but we'll need a new pithy phrase... When one door closes, others close too. :giveup:

Sooo... unless something changes, the plan to take the NC and XT remains in place. (I'm still unconfirmed though, Peter.) I'm hardening the NC with engine guards and strike plate.

Randy, if both of your bikes are titled in your name you're going to have to do something about it before MexTrek.

Send me a PM if you want me to call you and tell you how to get around it.

For some of you who can't decide, or don't know what's in store for this trip, let me put my 2c in:

Last Mextrek trip, Vinny and I rode from our house in Austin all the way down to Galiana on our Vstrom 650. We packed tools, walking around clothing, extra layer, and pretty much wore riding gear for the entire trip.
We each had $300 in pesos, and by the last day, we still had about $30 in pesos to burn up.

We didn't go with the big group, we crossed the border near Laredo.
From there, we bypassed the big hwy, rode nothing but dirt roads leading into Galiana.

This is the type of dirt roads coming from south of the border into Reyones:
Img_1149.jpg

These are the dirt roads coming into Galiana from Rayones.
20151017_135158_sml.jpg

20151015_154627_800.jpg

Once you're in Galiana, there's tracks radiating out from there for every type of bikes...street, ADV, D/S...
Gibbens' MexTrek book shows several loops to ride, and class rating for each loop.

We explored a trail south of Galiana - the El Alamar track. We did have to do one climb up the side of a mountain, but it wasn't difficult. It was rather smooth riding.
Img_1188.jpg

Subcomm blessed us w/ his presence on his DR650.
20151016_165105.jpg

20151017_162028.jpg

20151016_131331.jpg

For the most part, the entire riding trip in Galiana was quite manageable on our ADV bikes.
IMG_1222.jpg

Good question....b/c I just remembered that
there was an overnight stay before we reached Galiana.
Vinny's a climber, so we spent a night at this famous climbing lodge, La Posada, in Hidalgo, Nuevo León. It's a campground and room rentals w/ a beautiful swimming pool at the foot of two near-vertical mountains that draws in serious climbers from all over.

We left Austin around 10:30am, crossed the border around 1:30pm, and checked into La Posada by dusk, or 6pm.
Next day, we left Hidalgo around 9:30am, and got into Galiana by dusk again.
I remembered the 2nd day as a long, full, riding day. WE did have to stop for about 30 mins b/c I lost one of my subframe bolt, a 10mm sizer. So we had to rig up an 8x40mm to hold the bike together.

Can a 16 year old ride in Mexico? If so, what issues will I face if we cross the border on 2 bikes titled in my name?

Can a 16 year old ride in Mexico? If so, what issues will I face if we cross the border on 2 bikes titled in my name?

I just sent a similar answer to Randy....

Two bikes titled in one name in itself is a problem. Each bike requires a separate TVIP and must be issued to separate riders with separate passports/passport cards

The other issue is age. Must be over 18 to be issued a TVIP.

Downrange checkpoints for this are hit and miss but the real exposure is in the event of an accident when officials arrive and ask for everyone's paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back