• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 F 750 GS Review

Reaction score
So I've had my F 750 GS for just under two months and over 1800 miles at this point in time. My bike has the 'Premium' package, so all the technology that BMW tosses on a bike these days.

Approachable Adventure - I picked the 750 GS as a 'getting back into riding' after about 7 years without a bike. I was looking for a mid-sized machine that would be a 95% 'street' bike that would be capable on a dirt or gravel road, but also wasn't going to be as intimidating as the 'full size' options in the class. At 5'9" the taller, heavier ADV bikes we not what I immediately wanted to hop back onto, nor were the ~160 HP Muti/XR/SAR class of machine.

What I like:

Comfort is good - combination of seat position, height, heated grips make the GS a solid platform.

Handling is also solid, you can tell what the front is doing and the dynamic suspension does it's job well.

Electronics / Technology - None of it has broken yet, so it's all great stuff. All of the 'high tech' buzzwords are on the bike - ABS, TC, Ride Modes, Up/Down quick shift, TFT Display, Nav/Phone integration, dynamic rear suspension, cruise control.

Luggage Options - Variocases fit look good and have been around for a while.

What I don't like:

The stock windshield should be binned. For a street focused bike, the 750 GS should have had the larger screen and mount that the 850 has. At freeway speeds (70-80) buffeting was excessive and unpleasant for what is effectively an 'all roads' touring bike. The bracket sizing on the 750 is smaller than the 850 so I went aftermarket and fitted a wunderlich marathon screen which is notably larger than the 850 GS stock screen. Slightly fiddly to mount (it requires a bracket on the bracket to match the 850 spacing) the end result is a windscreen that made a huge difference in highway/freeway riding.

BMW Nav Mount - because the windscreen is so low, the Nav mount is on top of the handlebar clamp rather than above the TFT display (like on the "Big GS"). Unlike the TFT which you can see with just a glance (aka eye movement only) you have to look down to see the nav mount and if you have a tank bag, it will be obscured. No 'fix' for this, but I'm considering just going with a RAM and the BMW App. 930 dollars cheaper too.

Foot Controls - they are too low. While fine with 'street' focused gear, wearing heavier soled/stiffer boots it was a real chore to get under the shifter and return it to neutral between shifts. Swapping to the wider (but lower without a rubber insert) enduro pegs helped, but swapping out the foot controls for the adjustable shifter and two-position brake made a significant difference.

Miscellaneous notes:

Getting about 52 MPG with ethanol free 87 octane. The reserve light comes on right at 1 gallon remaining, managed to time it so I was about 1 mile from the gas station when it tripped and topping the bike off on the center stand it was pretty dang accurate.
That means the reserve light comes on at about 150 miles or so and the 'now you're pushing' stage will occur a little over 200 miles.

I've probably done 75 miles on dirt/gravel roads, the bike handles them fine. I'm sure the Anakee 3 tires would struggle in mud. The TC/ABS work and can be noticed, even for a novice off road rider. (Which means I'm sure turning them off would result in more fun, and the possibility of picking the bike up off the ground.)

Farkles - BMW offers a full collection, and the aftermarket has started as well. I may have blown my Christmas budget...

BMW Aluminum Skid Plate & Crash bars - adequate for gravel/dirt road use. I'm sure there will be heavier duty ones in the US shortly. Given my goals for the bike, the BMW ones are both fine... and available.
Akrapovic Slip on - 90% looks 10% sound... Somewhere between five and seven pounds lighter (the old pick up and put down method) and better looking than the stock system. It doesn't transform the sound of the bike, but given that it's 50 state legal, you have to have some reasonable expectations.
Adjustable Shift Lever - Nearly Required, the shifter is too low and must be COMPLETELY returned to neutral for the quick shifter to reset.
Two Position Brake Lever - Nice to have, the lever is low especially standing, so this gives you an chance to flip it over before you hit the trail.
Enduro Pegs - Nice, Wide, Grippy. They have the same 'top' height as the stock pegs without the inserts, but are wider.

Vario Side Case - I'm certainly not the first person to review these. They go on and off the bike, things go in them. Expanded the left side will hold an XL NeoTec 2

Wunderlich Marathon Windscreen - expensive but an excellent option if you want wind/weather protection.

Pictures of my 750 GS - before the windscreen was put on it, but with the bars/plate etc... It wasn't a Starbucks lot, so I had to improvise.

gPuamfBh.jpg

And the Wunderlich screen - I'm not sure if only the 750 GS model has the blacked out 'center' that hides the mount-on-mount hardware or if the photo on their website is a pre-production piece.

f7wj9Ayh.jpg

warWMfOh.jpg

Good review :clap:

Tires do make a BIG difference once you venture off the pavement. Even if you leave the rear as is, something like a TKC-80 on the front makes a big difference when you start getting into loose stuff. It just gives the bike a more planted feel and helps with your confidence.

Back