• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3,000 mile road trip to Big Bend, New Mexico, Arizona and Moab (White Rim Trail) on my Africa Twin

Reaction score
Had a great time on this road trip through the southwest. I've always read about and seen videos of Utah, but glad I finally got to see it all in person. We stayed at Big Bend in south Texas and worked out way up through New Mexico and stayed at a friends house. We then camped in Alpine Arizona and met up with another rider. We then camped just outside of Mexican Hat Utah then got up the next morning and checked out Valley of the Gods. We went sight seeing for a day or so until with met Anna from Poland at a motorcycle shop in Moab getting some work done. She's a world traveler and her bike of choice is a DR 650. Unfortunately the morning ride to the White Rim Trail she had an engine failure, but she was able to pick up a new DR in Colorado. Anyway we all had a great time and if you have been thinking about taking the trip out west then don't hesitate guys... get out and ride because you won't regret it!

We went the second week of June so it was a little warm if I'm honest haha, but we enjoyed the trip anyways. Thanks for watching copb8!

Had a great time on this road trip through the southwest. I've always read about and seen videos of Utah, but glad I finally got to see it all in person. We stayed at Big Bend in south Texas and worked out way up through New Mexico and stayed at a friends house. We then camped in Alpine Arizona and met up with another rider. We then camped just outside of Mexican Hat Utah then got up the next morning and checked out Valley of the Gods. We went sight seeing for a day or so until with met Anna from Poland at a motorcycle shop in Moab getting some work done. She's a world traveler and her bike of choice is a DR 650. Unfortunately the morning ride to the White Rim Trail she had an engine failure, but she was able to pick up a new DR in Colorado. Anyway we all had a great time and if you have been thinking about taking the trip out west then don't hesitate guys... get out and ride because you won't regret it!

Excellent trip! Thanks for sharing!

FYI, Potash road is pretty easy as I recall, however, from where the White Rim trail and Potash road meet, I'm pretty sure it's MUCH shorter to go up the switchbacks to get to pavement and probably overall quicker back to Moab from that intersection. Of course I was on 4 wheels at the time in November, so I might be slightly incorrect, but I think you guys made the right choices.

FYI, Potash road is pretty easy as I recall, however, from where the White Rim trail and Potash road meet, I'm pretty sure it's MUCH shorter to go up the switchbacks to get to pavement and probably overall quicker back to Moab from that intersection. Of course I was on 4 wheels at the time in November, so I might be slightly incorrect, but I think you guys made the right choices.
I"m glad to hear we picked the right way back lol! Glad to hear someone else had a chance to check it out!

Great vids, thanks for posting. Interesting way to load a motorcycle onto a flat bed wrecker.
I wish the wrecker had that option when we had to load my FJR on the side of 635 in Dallas. Almost fell over a couple of times winching it in and out of the flatbed. That is a much better solution.

As always, great videos. That looked like a fun ride. I love the visual overload that red rock country creates. I still think you should extract a slice of pie or 5 dollar bill each time you pick up someone's bike. :lol2:

As always, great videos. That looked like a fun ride. I love the visual overload that red rock country creates. I still think you should extract a slice of pie or 5 dollar bill each time you pick up someone's bike. :lol2:
It was a great ride! You know they guys are nice, so I always give them a discounted rate lol. It is a sight to see in person... all the massive rock faces.

I did the White Rim Trail in March of 2022 in my TRX and Shafer (the switchbacks) were closed and I had to take Potash to enter...added quite a bit of time...

Attachments

• IMG_4140.png
    IMG_4140.png
    838.9 KB · Views: 46
I did the White Rim Trail in March of 2022 in my TRX and Shafer (the switchbacks) were closed and I had to take Potash to enter...added quite a bit of time...
Wow, I had no idea Potash added that much time. Thanks for sharing Nash!

I haven't watched it all; did y'all ride Moki Dugway?

The unpaved part of Potash Road is 17 miles including the switchbacks. Where it meets the White Rim trail is pretty quick after the switchbacks so maybe like around 15 miles of unpaved stuff for Potash vs like 2 running up the switchbacks to the main road. It's a nice drive/ride but not the best option if you are trying to get out of the heat. It's also a bit lower in elevation than the roads running around, deadhorse point as an example towers over Potash Road, so that could make a difference as well.

The unpaved part of Potash Road is 17 miles including the switchbacks. Where it meets the White Rim trail is pretty quick after the switchbacks so maybe like around 15 miles of unpaved stuff for Potash vs like 2 running up the switchbacks to the main road. It's a nice drive/ride but not the best option if you are trying to get out of the heat. It's also a bit lower in elevation than the roads running around, deadhorse point as an example towers over Potash Road, so that could make a difference as well.
Great info Jasen for sure. When we were leaving we wanted out asap so thank goodness we picked the shortest way. It would be nice to go back while it's cooler and take Potash though.

Back