• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$5.00 per gallon gas strategy

That does make sense, as I like a truck for when it is needed, but definitely don't need one all the time like a few do. Hmmm, maybe carry a Smart car in the back, as a spare car idea?:eek2::rider:

Still gonna drive my 13-14 mpg truck to work every day. Impossible to lug all my work gear with my luggage less Speed Triple. Would look funny riding with an AR strapped to my back.

I work so close to home the gas prices don't affect me much. My wife spends the same in gas for her fuel sipping Camry as I because of her commute.

Still gonna drive my 13-14 mpg truck to work every day. Impossible to lug all my work gear with my luggage less Speed Triple. Would look funny riding with an AR strapped to my back.

But it would take care of that pesky tailgater problem.:trust:

The strategy I want to employ is the one that puts a NEW bike in the garage as those prices won't change as much. Unlikely to go up, but just as unlikely to whittle the price down as the season approaches. So, sell my FZ1 and make my move for a European bike. Not going to be greedy, but being so close to Fort Hood, warmer weather, and rising fuel prices might make for an optimum sales price.

If I can net a few hundred more, I can also update my hot weather jacket; as such a mild winter may be a harbinger of things to come.

If I can net a few hundred more, I can also update my hot weather jacket; as such a mild winter may be a harbinger of things to come.

I did this last summer. Holy crap, what a difference. I went from a three season leather jacket to an armored mesh jacket. That mesh jacket, while not quite being as comfortable as a t-shirt, is as close as I think I'm going to get without actually just wearing a t-shirt.:rider:

Look at my car that hasn't moved in 2 months, think about registering it, but never actually get around to it.

Then I'll look at what it costs to fuel up my Duc, and finally get around to fixing up my old bikes. You know, the ones that get better gas mileage. If nothing else, used bikes may go up in value, and I've been thinking of getting a DR.

If Congress would drop the alcohol subsidy so we can get real gas then I would see a net increase in my mileage which would off set the price per gallon. sort of.

That subsidy ended last month, actually. Gas prices went up, because now E-10 is more expensive to produce without $6B from the federal gov't.

One of the major players in the rise of commodity prices is the loss of value of the dollar caused by the printing of dollars on computer screens. Yes, the obama and his gang of criminals have a role in it.
Um, the person you need to be upset with is Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank. He's the guy in charge of printing money. He got his job in 2006 under Bush.

Seriously, you guys need to learn how your government works if you want to complain about it so much.

Um, the person you need to be upset with is Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank. He's the guy in charge of printing money. He got his job in 2006 under Bush.

Seriously, you guys need to learn how your government works if you want to complain about it so much.

That Obama nominated him for a second term seems to be something you missed. Moreover, that you didn't notice that Obama and Geithner have been on Bernanke's wagon hints that you only see what you choose to see to support Obama. In fact, those two birds have been ignoring Bernanke's warning that the road we are on is unsustainable yet Obama answered that criticism with his last budget that includes $1.5T in deficit spending.

Sounds like you need a little learning about our public money and where it is going.

Edit: And the inflation that is driving up oil is not just from our Fed creating money, but a worldwide group of central banks dumping trillions into the global economy.

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not pro-Obama. I'm just anti-blame-the-POTUS-for-stuff-he-didn't-do.

Just like I'm not a fan of Bush getting us mired in the middle east, but I don't blame him for the credit crisis of 2008. That wasn't his fault.

I wonder how much of the price increase is caused by speculation. I've had it explained to me that a person can buy XX barrels of oil at a set price and only put down 10% of the cost. The remainder being due within 30 days. Now of course it the guy can sell the XX barrels of oil (at a profit) within the 30 day time frame, then he'll have made money while only investing a small amount of money.

Last edited:
If the CME required a larger deposit for trading oil. the price would plummet, even inflation adjusted. The world is over flowing with oil now. I expect Obama to pressure for this sometime before the election so that gas prices are not a factor at the elections. When it happens, I hope everyone remembers today and all the time we have payed more for gas because he did not put pressure on the CME.

My plan - Keep the 17MPG diesel truck and drive it 23 miles per day for work. Then when the weather is warm, hook up the boat to it and go out to the lake. My biggest worry is there won't be enough water in the lakes like last year when I got to go out twice.

Second option, sell the truck and the boat, buy a gas sipper and be miserable.

I wonder how much of the price increase is caused by speculation. I've had it explained to me that a person can buy XX barrels of oil at a set price and only put down 10% of the cost. The remainder being due within 30 days. Now of course it the guy can sell the XX barrels of oil (at a profit) within the 30 day time frame, then he'll have made money while only investing a small amount of money.

Based on what I'm seeing on the new, quite a lot.

My plan - Keep the 17MPG diesel truck and drive it 23 miles per day for work. Then when the weather is warm, hook up the boat to it and go out to the lake. My biggest worry is there won't be enough water in the lakes like last year when I got to go out twice.

I've had a blast for years driving high mpg cars, from racy little German Opels in the 70s to my current RSX. But really, before selling a vehicle, you've got to work all the math. If you lose money going from truck to ??, don't forget to factor in how long it takes to recover that money.

Funny, the day I sold my boat was the happiest day of ownership. :lol2:

I grew up in Florida, surrounded by boats. Every chance I could get, I was on a boat. Never owned one, though. IMO, it's way better to have a friend with a boat, than having a boat.

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not pro-Obama. I'm just anti-blame-the-POTUS-for-stuff-he-didn't-do.

Just like I'm not a fan of Bush getting us mired in the middle east, but I don't blame him for the credit crisis of 2008. That wasn't his fault.

I agree, there is little the POTUS can really do to affect short term gas prices but since Obama politicized high gas prices during his campaign, I have little sympathy for him now as he twists in the wind.

The number one bad driving habit I see on the road is accelerating towards red lights. Drive as if your car has no brakes and you will get amazing gas mileage.
I routinely get 42-45 mpg out of my car (EPA rating 29/36) by driving using brakes as little as possible.
I can get low to mid 50 mpg out of my ZRX by keeping the cruise speed down to 65 and holding in the clutch and coasting to red lights and down hills.

Well, it went past 5.00 today in Rhode Island. Looks like 6.00 is right around the corner. Obammi and the dem-criminals must be dancing in the streets. I think we need higher taxes on it as well so the wealth can be redistributed. Its only fair...

Try removing the peripherals from your bike when you don't need them. My Cortech saddle bags cost me anywhere from 3-5mpg on the open highway.

Same goes for weight. I took the rear seat out of the wife's minivan to save weight.

One thing that I keep looking for is bus service. I gave up on the airlines because of the invasive scans. That leaves Greyhound but it is usually about the same cost as driving myself. Seems they could cut the cost in half but I guess not.

Try removing the peripherals from your bike when you don't need them. My Cortech saddle bags cost me anywhere from 3-5mpg on the open highway.

Clothing that flags in the wind can also cost you a couple of mpg. Another good reason to wear leathers.

Same goes for weight. I took the rear seat out of the wife's minivan to save weight.

One thing that I keep looking for is bus service. I gave up on the airlines because of the invasive scans. That leaves Greyhound but it is usually about the same cost as driving myself. Seems they could cut the cost in half but I guess not.

Tried megabus?

In all seriousness, I'm taking the bus to work and I've been walking to Kroger and CVS instead of driving.

Back