• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Quest - NW Arkansas May 09

On down the road a few miles we ran into an impassable rock slide and had to turn around and come back out the the Hwy.

]

To get to the dirt we first had to ride Hwy 123. For those who aren't familiar with Hwy 123 it is a FANTASTIC twisty road. It is destination-worthy all by itself. And, after all, we are dual sport riders so it is perfectly acceptable to ride some great pavement.

It took about 1.5 hours to ride the 42 miles from Clarksville to Sand Gap, at the intersection of Hwy 123 and Hwy 7. This was Stuntmans first visit to Arkansas and he was completely in awe of 123. He remarked that it was the best road he had ever ridden. Really, it's that good.

They say that adventure begins when the plan stops working and it was at this point that the plan stopped working for us. We looked and looked but couldn't find the northern end of 1312C. I finally decided that the northern end of 1312C no longer joined with Hwy 16. So, plan B was hatched.

Just North of your blue loop/Hwy 7 intersection is an alternate route I've taken - Payne Ridge road running East starts wide but turns into a steep quad trail and intersects with Victor Road at Brock Cemetary. Take Victor Road and it intersects with FR1310.

Captured some of Payne Ridge, Victor Rd. and 123 on this vid from last Spring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omlJ9k8cNkw&feature=channel

Last edited by a moderator:
Navaho, What helmet camera setup are you using? Very good quality and sound.

Mine is all wind noise at any speed above 20mph. I tried covering mic in foam but need a better solution.

That's a perfect camera for offroad adventures. If I needed a new point & shoot, I'd be looking hard at that one. I love my A650 Cannon but I have to protect it well. Dust/water would destroy it instantly.

Hey Guys,

If you want a waterproof / shock proof / freeze proof camera check this out out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=2590&modelid=18332

If the link doesn't work just search for Cannon PowerShot D10 Digital Camera, it came out pretty recently and I think it is on my list to replace my point and shoot.

It got great reviews online and on TV, seems to be the perfect DS camera!

$60 for a spare battery... :huh2: $50 for another charger if you lose the one it comes with!! Man, they are proud of their accessories. Still, it looks like it would be a great camera to have. I know my SD600 has been great, but the outdoors have been hard on it. I wish the video formats were mpeg though instead of AVI. It would make sharing them less hassle.

Just a bump for old times sake... This was a great trip and reminds me that I really NEED to get back up to Arkansas for some DS riding!

Amen. That was a great trip. I have been back a number of times for what has always been exceptional dual sport riding. I think it is comparable quality of riding to Big Bend but more convenient (at least for the DFW group). It is amazing how much ground can be covered riding off-road in AR. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this afternoon.

Love it when the pics from old reports show up in the banner rotation! This trip was around 14 years ago! :eek2: Where does the time go!? :wary:

I remember this trip well. It was my first trip with guys from TWTX, and it was an absolute blast with a great group of riders. I have been back riding AR many times, but this was one of my favorite trips. I still have my bike front this trip, and sadly, my bike looks same while I have noticeably deteriorated over the past 14 years…:)

Back