• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend Feb 28 - Mar 3, 2024

How/where do we get gpx's of the different routes and of the 200 mile route?

Last edited:
How/where do we get gpx's of the different routes and of the 200 mile route?
I'll leave the handouts to the leaders, but quick note -

There's only like five roads in the national park, so there's no best "route", per se. Just pick what stuff you wanna do, know the difficulty and mileage, and go for it

North of terlingua though, where the top of the world route is, it is very easy to get lost out there. Not, out of this world never make it back lost, just annoying lost

Money sent and signed up. This is my first time riding in Big Bend on a 2014 V-strom 650. Plan to keep it very chill and meet like-minded riders and explore. I've done some off-roading and many creek crossings here in TX, but off-roading on the V-strom is still new for me so I don't know what I don't know! I do a lot of downhill mountain biking through so I hope to keep carrying those skills over.

Just signed up and paid. Will be my first Around the Bend. Have ridden Big Bend several times. Always fun. Hopefully will have a few buddies who are first timers along too.

Is there any way you guys have marked your bikes in the past so everyone can recognize when another rider is from TWTEX? ie...sticker, certain bandana on handle bars, .....

Y’all are in for a treat. Old Ore is in epic condition! I haven’t seen it this rough in over 10 years. Now, will they clean it up over the next few months, who knows. But as it sits right now, she is a rough ol gal!
Definitely agree on the current condition of Old Ore. It's obviously still rideable, but even that "touristy" section at the start from the Rio Grande Village end has degraded hugely. Used to be that most 2-wheel drive cars could drive that section up to Ernst Tinaja. Now it has some washouts that require very high clearance and on the verge of actual 4-WD. Past Ernst, there are a few places that have really changed in terms of erosion and hard 4WD use where rocks have been stacked against some decent ledges.

I saw your other post about the kind of bike suitable for the BB area. I would agree that a KTM300-2S is probably overkill generally, but I think it would be a hoot on Old Ore. The current condition of OO would make it fun to ride aggressively there now. It would be kind of fun to ride it out and back instead of just one way. I kind of disagree that the KLR would be that great on OO due to its weight, but obviously it would be doable by a rider with decent skills. I had 4 KLR's over time, and when younger I rode them like a dirt bike. I'm not so enthralled by them now for any challenging terrain. I transitioned...can we say that anymore?...LOL!...to a KLX300 and in the last year I've built up a heavily modded XR650L.

Also as far as the right bike for the area, if one goes over to the Big Bend Ranch State Park, there are sections on both the west and east of Casa Piedra Road, 169, that would benefit from a competent dirt bike. I realize that most doing the event won't be headed over there, but if one does, something a little more capable than a KLR but maybe not so much as a KTM300-2S would probably be appreciated.

But DFWW, you're right that depending on the routes taken in the BB area, the KLR can be more than competent for the large majority of it. I would not want to do Old Ore at the moment on a KLR. Doable, yes...but maybe more fun on something a little more dirt worthy.

But DFWW, you're right that depending on the routes taken in the BB area, the KLR can be more than competent for the large majority of it. I would not want to do Old Ore at the moment on a KLR. Doable, yes...but maybe more fun on something a little more dirt worthy.
I mean... we did it... two-up... and had a blast. :shrug: :mrgreen:But we might not be most riders. To be perfectly fair, the KLR would not be my "if I had the choice of any bike out there right now" for Old Ore in the current state. But between the two (300 smoker and a KLR), I would and have picked the KLR over the 300 every single time and would do it again tomorrow.

Honestly, a 300cc Honda dual sporty thing, or man, something like an older 690 adventure would be a HOOT on that road right now but still not killer to get around the park.

Reactions: TNC
I mean... we did it... two-up... and had a blast. :shrug: :mrgreen:But we might not be most riders. To be perfectly fair, the KLR would not be my "if I had the choice of any bike out there right now" for Old Ore in the current state. But between the two (300 smoker and a KLR), I would and have picked the KLR over the 300 every single time and would do it again tomorrow.

Honestly, a 300cc Honda dual sporty thing, or man, something like an older 690 adventure would be a HOOT on that road right now but still not killer to get around the park.
Wait a minute...are you Marc Coma? :lol2: I kid.

Funny you mention the 690. The only rider in our group who crashed on that one nasty climb this past December...from north to south...was on a 690.:D But no...probably not the fault of the bike. As far as Old Ore goes currently, I just don't want some to get the idea that it can be ridden on a Gold Wing. We can't all be Marc Coma...LOL! I agree with you that it was a blast. It had plenty of stuff to keep you entertained for sure without a bunch of white knuckle gnar.

Definitely agree on the current condition of Old Ore. It's obviously still rideable, but even that "touristy" section at the start from the Rio Grande Village end has degraded hugely. Used to be that most 2-wheel drive cars could drive that section up to Ernst Tinaja. Now it has some washouts that require very high clearance and on the verge of actual 4-WD. Past Ernst, there are a few places that have really changed in terms of erosion and hard 4WD use where rocks have been stacked against some decent ledges.

I saw your other post about the kind of bike suitable for the BB area. I would agree that a KTM300-2S is probably overkill generally, but I think it would be a hoot on Old Ore. The current condition of OO would make it fun to ride aggressively there now. It would be kind of fun to ride it out and back instead of just one way. I kind of disagree that the KLR would be that great on OO due to its weight, but obviously it would be doable by a rider with decent skills. I had 4 KLR's over time, and when younger I rode them like a dirt bike. I'm not so enthralled by them now for any challenging terrain. I transitioned...can we say that anymore?...LOL!...to a KLX300 and in the last year I've built up a heavily modded XR650L.

Also as far as the right bike for the area, if one goes over to the Big Bend Ranch State Park, there are sections on both the west and east of Casa Piedra Road, 169, that would benefit from a competent dirt bike. I realize that most doing the event won't be headed over there, but if one does, something a little more capable than a KLR but maybe not so much as a KTM300-2S would probably be appreciated.

I did a good loop in bbrsp last christmas on a klr, it was fun and I survived because I’m very tall and can easily dab or flat foot when needed. Certain sections definitely kicked my butt, like some of the rough rocky hill climbs and the dry loose creek beds. Will be on a much lighter bike this go around. I wouldn’t have wanted to do it on a stock klr, my klr had an upgraded rear shock, progressive fork springs, heavier fork oil, opened up exhaust and eagle mike jet/needle kit, IMs pegs, etc.. On the flip side the klr was perfect for pinto canyon and all the regular dirt roads.

Looking forward to this ride! I have registered and was wanting to load the Challenge 200 gpx file on my GPS. Who should I contact to capture the file? Thanks Guys!
Emery

Long time rider but 1st BB ride. Looking forward to the 200 Challenge. The XR650R should be ready! Looking forward to getting the tracks from. the ride organizers. Money has been sent and 200 mentioned in the notes section of registration.

Looking forward to this ride! I have registered and was wanting to load the Challenge 200 gpx file on my GPS. Who should I contact to capture the file? Thanks
Post #4 Emery.

Screenshot_20240110_221553_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Before you hop on this poor guy, there's a solid chance that Peter hasn't sent out the gpx files to anyone yet 😋
sorry pete

Spoiler alert for the route, it's essentially going north out of Terlingua, across Hen Egg Rd and Terlingua Ranch, down Old Ore, then River Road back to Maverick. Black Gap isn't included (officially....)

I was really hoping to do the 400, but being part of the tech layoffs means my health insurance is gone 😕 Last thing I need right now is a $10,000 medical bill for breaking a finger

Before you hop on this poor guy, there's a solid chance that Peter hasn't sent out the gpx files to anyone yet 😋
sorry pete

Spoiler alert for the route, it's essentially going north out of Terlingua, across Hen Egg Rd and Terlingua Ranch, down Old Ore, then River Road back to Maverick. Black Gap isn't included (officially....)

I was really hoping to do the 400, but being part of the tech layoffs means my health insurance is gone 😕 Last thing I need right now is a $10,000 medical bill for breaking a finger
Please don't worry about hurting my feelings...I can handle Vinny! 😎

Hey Texas Dual Sport Riders,

2024 Around the Bend Rally is happening! Registration fee is $20

Register Here: https://forms.gle/GSKSdXh1ggf88vE27

Terlingua, Texas:

Around the Bend is an amazing and fun-filled 4-day motorcycle rally in the Big Bend region of Texas. For 2024 the rally is scheduled Thursday - Sunday, Feb 28th to Mar 3rd 2024. All riders are invited to attend on their street legal motorcycles.

Before the official start on Thursday, on Wednesday night we will have a new (and new to Big Bend) rider meet and greet cocktail hour on the front porch, and a seated dinner at the Starlight Theater.

Thursday will include a new rider orientation ride from 9 to 2 and an afternoon ghost town walkaround. Thursday night will resume the same basic schedule as in previous years.

What kind of rally is this? This motorcycle rally is predominately a dual sport adventure rally but it is open to anyone with a street legal motorcycle. Street-only, adventure, and dual sport riders are all invited to attend. Come by yourself or bring some friends. Ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come out early. Or stay a few days late. The main point is to have fun. Please note that there is no legal, public off-road riding in the Big Bend area so all motorcycles have to be properly tagged and registered.

What is riding like in the Big Bend region? There is both paved and unpaved riding all around the Big Bend area.

- Dual Sport and Adventure Riders Lots of dual sport riders show up to ride the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to play in the dirt at Big Bend but just haven't made it yet, this is a wonderful opportunity to do so.

- Dual sport riders: There are a number of primitive dirt roads in both BBNP and Big Bend Ranch State Park (The Ranch). BBNP is the most popular riding choice for most because the dirt riding there is superb but The Ranch has some good stuff too. (Note that riding larger adventure bikes in The Ranch can be quite challenging due to the ruggedness of the roads.) ALSO YOU MUST HAVE PERMISSION OF A POATRI PROPERTY OWNER TO RIDE ANY ROAD IN THE RANCH. THIS SHOULD INCLUDE A FRANK DISCUSSION ABOUT SPEED LIMITS, NOISE, TRESPASSING, BEING NEIGHBORLY, AND AVOIDING WILDING! (Note, I am a property owner)

- Street riders There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed. For example, Hwy 170, aka "River Road", is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas

You can ride in Big Bend National Park (BBNP) and various other roads in the area. Some popular riding destinations for street-only riders are BBNP, Presidio, Fort Davis, Marfa, and Mexico (yes, Mexico).

There are also some excellent dirt roads across the border in Mexico too for those who want a bit more adventure.

If you've never been to Big Bend and would like a guide, indicate on the signup and add $25. Includes a Big Bend ride guide with planned routes & GPS tracks. The guide includes pavement-only routes and dual sport/adventure routes.

Is someone leading a ride one or both days? This year's event is a rally which means there are no planned routes that everyone will be riding. Instead, riders will self-organize into groups each morning and select where they want to ride that day.

I’ve never been to a rally before. If you have never attended a rally and don't know anyone, come on out anyway. We are a really friendly bunch of people and welcome new riders. You will easily be able to find a group to ride with. If you are an experienced dirt rider and need a group to ride with, just ask around - you will quickly find a suitable group to join. For those needing a group to ride with, we will be organizing riding groups immediately following the Friday morning riders meeting.

Can we ride in Mexico? Absolutely. There is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need to do any paperwork to visit it either but you will need your vehicle registration to ride into Mexico. On the Mexico side of the international bridge Mexican officials will stop you and compare the VIN of your motorcycle with the VIN on your vehicle registration to ensure they match. Once they have done so, they will wave you through. From there head south through Ojinaga on the main road and about 25 paved miles later you will arrive at the canyon overlook.

Bring your passport or passcard because US Customs will need to see it before they let you back into the United States.

Is it safe? Mexico sure is close, is the Big Bend area safe? Yes, it is safe. As of this writing all the border drug stuff you've been hearing about on the news has not been a serious issue in the Big Bend region.

OPTIONAL NEW RIDER EVENT
Wednesday
5 PM to 7 PM New rider meet and greet, Front Porch
7 PM New rider dinner, Starlight Theater

Thursday
9 AM - 2 PM New Rider Ride, Top of the World
2 PM to 3 PM Ghosttown walk
4 PM TO 7 PM, High Sierra Bar & Grill Social and Rally Check In
7 PM Group Dinner at High Sierra

Friday
Trailboss' Big Bend 400 / Desert Challenge 200 details tbd

Or

Organize a group and ride wherever you want
5 pm - 7 pm, meet on the front porch in Terlingua

Saturday

Organize a group and ride wherever you want!
6 pm - 10 pm group dinner

Sunday
Adios Breakfast at Posado Milagro in the ghost town.

Signups:

Peter Shaddock
Paul schoelen
Steven Michaelis
Colin Schneider
Richard Gibbens
Ken murphy
Ross Elliott
Jai Vishnuvarman
Todd Trulock
Matthew Coupin
Richard Partida
Jeff Elliott
Shaun Boardman
Mitja Peterman
Vic Arias
Udo Erkenrath
Michael Fuller
Willi Carville
Steve Trester
Peter Marsh

Hope to see everyone there!

Peter Shaddock, aka Pedro Norte de Mextrek
Calling all street riders for Around the Bend! If you are interested in doing a pavement only (and light gravel dirt) ride during Around the Bend at Big Bend, please let me know! I am putting together a group and a route!

I'm also trying to get this info onto the twtex website forum, not sure if this is the right place to post it - any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason Epps
Cell: 801-673-2014
(JJMoto on twtex)

Desert Challenge 200 (and the Big Bend 400)

Looking for a challenge? Wanting to do something a little different at this year's Around the Bend? If so, then I have an event for your consideration - the Desert Challenge 200

For any dual sport riders wanting an extra dose of adventure, Peter is pleased to announce the addition of The Desert Challenge 200 to this year's rally. Peter's challenge is a one-day, 200-mile, long-distance dirt ride designed to test your skill and stamina. On Friday morning, challenge riders leave early to ride a designated loop course consisting of 95% class 1, 2, and 3 dirt roads. The course is long and difficult and will take most or all of the day to complete.

On Friday, all challenge riders will meet in the Chili Pepper restaurant parking lot at 7:00 am for check-in and a rider safety meeting. Immediately following the meeting, riders are free to depart and have 12 hours to complete the entire course. Riders will be riding in small groups of 2-6 riders per group, with groups self-selected by the riders themselves (i.e. go ahead and organize your riding group now). At the riders meeting Peter will facilitate organizing those who still need a group to ride with - so if you are coming to the rally by yourself, we will help ensure you don't have to ride alone.

The Challenge is NOT a race, it is an endurance event. It is not timed, we are not keeping score, nor are we grading/rating riders on the order in which they finish the event. This is a fun ride only. The challenge part of the ride is the course itself; the mileage is long, it's almost all dirt, and will take all of the available daylight hours to complete. The great thing about the course is that it's a tour de force of some of the finest dirt roads in all of the Big Bend region.

The course is designed to take most of the day to complete - with skill, perseverance, and a bit of luck you will be able to finish. The limitations of the course are that it must be done in daylight hours. You will need to start as soon as the rider meeting is over and keep moving all day in order to complete the course in the allotted time. There are several "bail-out" points in the event that mechanical or other problems prevent you from being able to complete the entire route in daylight.

The course is complete when you confirm by checking-out with Peter by 7:00 pm Friday evening (checking-in when you start and then checking-out when you finish helps us keep track of riders for safety purposes). Peter will provide the details for checking-in and checking-out.

Indicate your participation in The Desert Challenge 200 on your Around the Bend registration and Peter will send the gpx tracks to you.

BBNP Pass: You will need a Big Bend National Park pass to participate in this event. Get your pass before Friday morning!

Fuel: You will need at least a 120-mile range for this event. The route is 200 miles long. There is one fuel stop at Rio Grande Village, around mile 109.

Speed kills. There is no need to ride this at race speed. It's illegal, it's dangerous, and it stirs up the locals. Don't do it. The faster you ride, the greater the likelihood that you will crash and get hurt. You can easily finish this ride while riding at safe, legal speeds as long as you are physically fit, your bike doesn't break, and you keep moving.

Two-Way Traffic: Another reason to ride at sane, legal speeds is that all of the roads you will be riding during The Desert Challenge 200 are two-way roads. Which means you must stay on the right side of the road, especially when going around corners. Expect on-coming traffic and you will avoid a head-on collision.

Safety: The entire point of The Desert Challenge 200 is to have fun while physically challenging yourself. If you wreck and get hurt because you did something dumb (like riding on the left side of the road around a blind curve), or your bike breaks, you will have failed the "fun" part of the event. So, Peter strongly recommends that you adequately prepare yourself and your bike for this event (what do you mean you thought bald tires, worn sprockets, a stretched chain, and staying up to 2 am drinking on Thursday evening would be okay for this ride?). Most of this ride is in very remote parts of Big Bend. Help is a long way away. If you break down or get hurt if can be hours and hours before help arrives. Plan and ride accordingly.

Bike Recovery: If your bike breaks down, you will need to recover it yourself. Have a plan for doing so.

What should I ride? A street-legal dual sport bike, such as the KTM 500 EXC, Suzuki DR650, or Kawasaki KLX300.

How about one of those ginormous adventure bikes, such as the BMW GS or Triumph Tiger? I strongly recommend against it unless you are an expert level rider. The course isn't easy and the heavier the bike the greater the probability of wrecking and/or becoming exhausted.

Satellite Tracking or WhatsApp: It would be really helpful if you had a tracking device with you while participating in The Desert Challenge 200. If you have a Spot or other satellite tracking device, please use it. And make sure you give the info to a trusted friend/buddy who can track your whereabouts. If you don't have a satellite tracking device, then download WhatsApp to your phone and enable tracking on it. Either way, if you break down on the course, it helps others find you.

It's going to be a great event! Hope you can join us.

The Big Bend 400

What's this?

I have a goal of getting in better shape and losing some weight. One strategy that has worked for me in the past is to pick an event and train for it (like deciding to run a half marathon or participate in a 100-mile bicycle event). With that in mind, I decided a 400-mile, non-stop, off-road motorcycle endurance ride in March 2024 would be a fun way to help me accomplish my goal. I figured it would be compelling enough that it would help me stick to a training plan (and cut back on the beer consumption).

I wanted it to be harder than simply riding 400 miles in the Texas hill country (where I live). So, the next logical location was Big Bend and two laps of The Desert Challenge 200 would be the hot ticket. I talked to Peter about it and decided that I would attempt it during the Around the Bend rally, weather permitting. So, I will (hopefully) complete two laps of The Desert Challenge 200 on Friday. I figure I can do it in 16-18 hours, which means I will be riding part of lap two in the dark.

With Peter's permission and encouragement, I'm putting this out in case anyone else wants to give it a go. If you've always wanted to participate in the Baja 400 (or 500, or 250, or 1000), this might be a good alternative. If you really like to challenge yourself both physically and mentally, this could be a fine way to do it. If you just love riding motorcycles in the dirt and can't get enough of it, this is for you. If you want the glory of being the first (or amongst the first) to complete the Big Bend 400, this is your ride.

Weather: There is always the possibility of a cold front coming through and dropping temperatures to uncomfortable lows and/or bringing rain with it. If that happens (and it's happened in the past), my backup plan is to return to Big Bend two weeks later (during spring break) and give the Big Bend 400 a go at that time.

Logistics: None planned. This is not an event that Peter is organizing. This is simply a ride that I am choosing to do. If you choose to ride the Big Bend 400 you will need to do all your own logistically planning.

As an FYI, here's what I'm planning: There are two fuel stops on the route - the gas pumps at the Big Bend Cafe in Study Butte and the gas pumps at Rio Grande Village in BBNP. I will start about 6:30 am on Friday with a full tank of gas. The Rio Grande Village store is my fuel refill point on lap one. I expect to pass the Rio Grande Village store around 11 am on Friday. I will be back in Study Butte around 2 pm on Friday, where I will refill my bike and eat lunch.

The 2nd lap is going to be more challenging because some of it will be run in the dark and the Rio Grande Village store will be closed and the gas pumps off when I pass by on lap two (the Rio Grande Village Store closes at 5:30 pm). I'm planning on having a support crew meet me at the end of Old Ore Road on lap 2 to refuel my bike and to provide fluids, snacks, and assistance.

Also, I will be adding lights to my bike since much of the 2nd lap will be run in the dark. I am also adding some light to my helmet as a) a backup and b) to use if I need to fix a flat in the dark.

Finally, I think many riders could complete The Desert Challenge 200 without doing any specific training. However, I think it will require specific training in order to have a reasonable chance at completing the Big Bend 400. In addition to lifting weights and doing cardio during the week, I have a specific plan to do long, off-road rides on the weekends to condition my body to the rigors of long-distance off-pavement riding. I recommend you do the same.

If this sounds fun to you and you would like to join me on some of my weekend long rides, please do so. I expect to ride Hidden Falls Adventure Park or the GSL Ranch most weekends. I will be posting the weekend riding plans on Facebook so send me a friend request if you want (I'm Richard Gibbens).

Hopefully I'm not too old and my body can handle the training load. Time will tell.

And, lastly, I am using the Big Bend 400 as a fundraiser to support the Terlingua Fire & EMS station. These are the guys that will be responding to your calls for help should you go down in the Terlingua / S. Brewster County area. Help them help us by your generous donation.
Calling all street riders for Around the Bend! If you are interested in doing a pavement only (and light gravel dirt) ride during Around the Bend at Big Bend, please let me know! I am putting together a group and a route!

I'm also trying to get this info onto the twtex website forum, not sure if this is the right place to post it - any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason Epps
Cell: 801-673-2014
(JJMoto on twtex)

EDIT: Please disregard my below comment, which I'll leave up for posterity's sake, but I believe I was either given bad information, or I misunderstood (likely) the information given. Sorry for passing along any confusion!

Unfortunately/fortunately (?) your company provided medical insurance probably wouldn't pay for injury from a motor vehicle accident anyway.

That would be on your moto-policy. I learned that from a moto personal injury attorney at a moto first responder class we recently took. I've since increased my accident/injury coverage on my motorcycle policy. Sorry bout your job.

I'm particularly salty about this because I was between jobs earlier this year and spent about $7k on COBRA insurance to keep the wife and I covered (and me covered while riding), then learned it wouldn't have covered me anyway. Grr.

Last edited:
Both my motorcycle accidents that resulted in over $300K of charges where fully paid by my company health insurance. No claim was made on my motorcycle insurance. In both cases my health insurance was very aware of the cause of the injuries and never pursued my motorcycle carrier. They did try and establish other parties to blame though but, in the end, there were none.

Both my motorcycle accidents that resulted in over $300K of charges where fully paid by my company health insurance. No claim was made on my motorcycle insurance. In both cases my health insurance was very aware of the cause of the injuries and never pursued my motorcycle carrier. They did try and establish other parties to blame though but, in the end, there were none.
That's good to know! The attorney, Glen Larson, told my his experience has been the basic medical will cover initial care but if there's ongoing treatment they often deny coverage due to it being related to an accident. I assume this is all over the map depending on the case. The best option is to be well covered every which way!

Unfortunately/fortunately (?) your company provided medical insurance probably wouldn't pay for injury from a motor vehicle accident anyway.

That would be on your moto-policy. I learned that from a moto personal injury attorney at a moto first responder class we recently took. I've since increased my accident/injury coverage on my motorcycle policy. Sorry bout your job.

I'm particularly salty about this because I was between jobs earlier this year and spent about $7k on COBRA insurance to keep the wife and I covered (and me covered while riding), then learned it wouldn't have covered me anyway. Grr.
Ooooh, you're absolutely right. Forgot. That may work in my favor now 🤔

The COBRA thing....yuck. It's at least retroactive for 60 days, so I've still got a bit to hopefully avoid using it.

Anyway, don't want to start that conversation here, but thanks for the heads up! May have saved my trip.

Same with my accident. Covered under employer insurance.

Back