• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #102: Silhouette (ENTRY)

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
Use this thread for posting your ENTRY for Assignment #102: "Silhouette".

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and Monday, March 11th at midnight.

photo.jpg

A nice mixed bag of entries this time around. Well done, and thanks for participating!

47wing: The first thing I'm hit with is the striking array of colors. At first glance I assumed it was taken at the beach, looking out over the water. But then I see the mounds/mountains in the distance and I'm left wondering exactly where this was taken. I really like your composition and overall it's just a great shot.

Tracker: Nice shot from the farm. I like the colors from the sky, but I'm wishing for a wider angle shot. I feel like the structure is taking up too much of the photo, but that's just my take and my style. I do like what you did here though.

JadeRider: I always like these type of abstract tree shots. I don't have much to critique here, I like the concept and execution. Well done.

DFW_Warrior: A good reminder to never mess with your wife. :lol2: Nice crop to match your silhouette. I can clearly see what is going on, but I wish there was a bit more definition/outline on the gun. I like your idea and overall execution is good. Hate to say it, but I like the other one you posted in the Assignment thread better.... more Charlie's Angelsish.

M38A1: Love the colors you were able to pull from what I believe is sunset. I have to be honest though, I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what is going on in the scene. Looks like you are positioned at a place overlooking a river. My mind is telling me there is an arm holding the bow, but there is a tree where I'm thinking the head of the person should be. It just feels a bit cluttered to me.

Mad Mac: As soon as I saw your image it immediately evoked emotion. I'm not going to lie, it's creepy as heck! Good composition, scary concept, great execution. Nicely done.

Butte: I really like the artistic beauty of this shot. The B&W treatment and shapes of your object really go well together. My only drawback is that I feel like I'm seeing too much detail of the object to be a silhouette. Jury is still out on that.

klb1122: Eh, better luck next time.

tim_cannon: Cool shot, and once again, great colors from the time of day used during your shoot. I'm pretty sure these are your kiddos, correct? Love the wild hair on your son, and he's perfect for this assignment. My favorite part of this image is your daughter looking up at your son with a smile. Makes it a really sweet capture. Your son's hair deserves it own silhouette. :mrgreen:

Jbay: Great placement/timing of the pup's head in the space between the trees. Looks like I see a hand coaxing the pup into the position you want it. Not sure if you intended to do this, but you also created the focus right on the dog, leaving the trees in the background out of focus. Most silhouettes are shot in a way that everything is in focus, but I like the separation in your shot.

This is always the worst part for me. I hate having to choose just one, especially when there were some really good entries this time around. I'm simply going off of what appealed to me most. My two favorite shots are from Butte and Mad Mac. Butte's shot has a great artistic value to it. I like the editing, but I'm still wondering if it's a true silhouette. Mad Mac's shot makes my heart skip a beat. It's well executed and I'll say it again... creepy.

I have to pick one, and this time it's Mad Mac. Mac, you're up!

Congrats, Mad Mac, well done.
Nice critique, Kory.

My silhouette was the Days of Thunder barn from the movie. I was going for simple lines, but it does feel a little crowded overhead. Thanks again for the insights.

Great stuff this time, guys. I kept looking and thinking and didn't shoot a single frame that fit the topic - I guess this one required setup and was harder to just stumble upon. Butte's would probably have been my vote - I could see a big print of that looking great on a wall.

I would like to thank the Academy, my parents and...

Thank you Kory. I was just trying to appeal to your perverse instincts. By the way, just in case anyone is wondering, this was not a cry for help. I am doing just fine so don't worry. And please, please, if anyone is actually suffering and thinking of taking your own life, do not for a moment think that this photograph endorses a solution. Get some help. Talk to some people. Press on.

Since I'm a new guy, I am not that familiar with the previous hundred assignments so give me a bit to look them over while I ponder a new one. If any of you have something you are interested in tackling, PM me or post it here.

Thanks again.

Congrats Mac! I saw your photo and instantly it was my favorite as well.

Well done, Mad Mac!

Kory, thanks for the critique. I agree my shot wasn't quite a proper silhouette, but I was limited on what I could do on my iPhone at 11pm :). I hadn't planned on entering the contest but went out and grabbed a quick shot on a whim.

Sent from my mobile telecomputy using Tapatalk

Well Done Mad Mac, that is a provocative photo! Everyone else too, these added to my list of future personal projects.

Yes, those are my kids, and I was low in the Dad Poll for making them pose like that. I had to promise that the photo would only be on the forum, not passed around to family and friends.

I would like to thank the Academy, my parents and...

Thank you Kory. I was just trying to appeal to your perverse instincts. By the way, just in case anyone is wondering, this was not a cry for help. I am doing just fine so don't worry. And please, please, if anyone is actually suffering and thinking of taking your own life, do not for a moment think that this photograph endorses a solution. Get some help. Talk to some people. Press on.

Since I'm a new guy, I am not that familiar with the previous hundred assignments so give me a bit to look them over while I ponder a new one. If any of you have something you are interested in tackling, PM me or post it here.

Thanks again.

Had a good laugh at your acceptance speech. :lol2: :clap:

Well done, Mad Mac!

Kory, thanks for the critique. I agree my shot wasn't quite a proper silhouette, but I was limited on what I could do on my iPhone at 11pm :). I hadn't planned on entering the contest but went out and grabbed a quick shot on a whim.

Sent from my mobile telecomputy using Tapatalk

Again, well done. I would have never guessed iPhone. :clap:

Back