• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #114, Reflected Light (ASSIGNMENT)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Light - the source of all images can be manipulated in a variety of ways with a variety of tools and methods. Something as simple as a car windshield sunshade, or a fancy reflector are available tools to the photographer to use as a fill or redirect of either natural or man-made light. A bright building next to your subject can also be used. Or even a piece of white cardstock. There are endless possibilities available.

As the whole intent of these assignments is to grow and expand our capabilities and knowledge (or get us out of our comfort zone), your objective is to capture an image which uses a reflector of some type to manipulate light on your subject. The subject can be of your choosing, ie: a person, animal or object. The point is, you must use a reflector of some type.

I will be judging this on the images content and technical aspects in properly lighting said content.

Is this going to be a challenge for some? Sure. But honestly, how many have actually tried to use a reflector to shape the light on their subject? Until you try and see your results, you'll never know how much better an image can be when you get some light on that dark side....

This assignment will close at MIDNIGHT September 9th, 2013. >> EXTENDED DEADLINE <<

Specifics:
1) Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, or even film; all shooters are welcome and encouraged to participate!
2) Post processing is allowed for this assignment. But try to keep the darks/shadows/exposure sliders out of the equation....
3) All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.
4) Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between now and Monday, September 2nd at midnight.

Example #1:
The lovely (er..... lonely Miss Hollie again). Natural sunlight coming in camera right through the large rollup glass door, and a strobe/umbrella just behind me camera right with a reflector camera left bouncing light back at her. Had I not had the reflector camera left, HER entire right side would have been grossly underexposed and dark.
i-KrfTKLv-L.jpg

Example #2
I shot this with an umbrella strobe camera right, but needed to fill in camera left light. The strobe bounced off the reflector and filled in the dark side of the shot.
i-kk8z3z6-L.jpg

Last edited:
So no comments, prior work or questions.... :ponder:

Is this one too tough? Have you never used a reflector/modifier for any shots?

You guys are starting to worry me on this one... :eek2:

To be honest, I never use that stuff. More just into a hand held, reaction type Street/Landscape mode. But, seems like quite a few in this forum are into the more techco stuff so I find it funny no one has done any examples also.

Sorry, I do love this stuff but I've been working 12 hour days and trying to get ready for an upcoming trip in the mean time. I will hopefully get something this weekend.

Re: Assignment #114, Reflected Light (ENTRY)

Sorry, Scott. I just couldn't get it all lined up in time. It was a good challenge.

I suppose that was a bust of sorts....

I envisioned this sub-forum as a learning place, a place to experiment, show&tell, develop new skills, dust off old skills, try new and exciting things. Judging by the lack of response, I somewhat wonder now where everyone's head is on this......

Oh well - new assignment will be up shortly.

I suppose that was a bust of sorts....

I envisioned this sub-forum as a learning place, a place to experiment, show&tell, develop new skills, dust off old skills, try new and exciting things. Judging by the lack of response, I somewhat wonder now where everyone's head is on this......

Oh well - new assignment will be up shortly.

I've been too busy to shoot anything lately. My vote would be to extend the due date on this same assignment, not create another one. Hopefully if I have another two weeks I'd be able to get some free time to shoot something.

I would suppose that not many are into photography that much. Just keep it simple. I think there was just one other bust since I've been checking this thread. And that one really surprized me. A couple years ago we had a lot more in here posting. But the subject matter was staying simple to the masses then. '
I really think the time allotment is plenty. If you're gonna do it at all, a couple weeks should be plenty.
Just an old guys opinion on the KISS principal.

I would be up for the challenge but honestly I don't visit TWT that much and missed this assignment. I stay to a few threads then go. There have been several assignments lately that I'd like to do but just don't have the time to get it done so no entries. There are times where I look specifically for the assignments, other times I forget about them. Busy lives I s'pose.

For reflected light, I don't have anything else but a camera and flash. It can be fired remotely but I don't have a stand for it. One instance I could see is downtown with tall buildings reflecting light off windows onto other buildings or streets. Maybe I can bring my sunshade from the truck, it has a reflective surface but may be too much. Haven't experimented with that before.

Don't be discouraged. It's the new school year and folks are busy coming off summer vacation. It'll get rolling again.

Scott,

Please don't take lack of participation in this contest as an affront. Let's just blame this all on the HEAT (yea, that's the problem). :sun: :mrgreen:

Seriously, I agree with Tracker and KLB1122 and just extend this contest for another week or two.

I have missed this contest and the last one; not because I didn't want to participate. I had/have some ideas I thought were great. But, I just didn't get out to shoot them. I am very aware of the subject and deadline, and I watch for photo contest opportunities all the time.

As others have said, I'm busy with other work or personal concerns. Plus, this heat is really getting to me. After riding home from work, "roasting in my gear" at redlights, all I want to do is grab a tall cold Iced Tea and sit in front of the A/C in my shorts. I just have had no interest in going back out in the "Texas Oven".

Shoot, I even quit going out to shoot my "Picture a Day" series I started a few weeks ago.

Whatever you decide to do, I will attempt to participate more.

Maybe I can bring my sunshade from the truck, it has a reflective surface but may be too much. Haven't experimented with that before.

That's the PERFECT reflector/modifier just about everyone has! In fact, that's how I was introduced to fill-light...

Scott, I too apologize for not entering this one. Playing with light is exactly what I like doing. Like McNally said "How many of you have taken a few photos with flash, were disgusted by them, and from then on you became MR. AVAILABLE LIGHT PHOTOGRAPHER?" I don't want to be that guy, so I do want to learn how to shoot with both artificial and natural light.

The downside is that I am in the middle of Utah as of Sunday night so I won't be able to join in. That is why I missed the original deadline as well because I was getting prepped to go.

I apologize for the quality of photo. It was the best I could do with what I had around me (an iPhone and an old sheet of aluminum foil). I do have my Nikon, flash, and a few modifiers with me but no way up upload.

For those that think playing with light means working with a flash you are only half right. For $10 you can get a 5-way reflector that will help you take amazing photos with only a little bit of added kit.

Yea, I have a 32" reflector with white on one side and gold on the other. Twist-folds down to about 9". Good for "waist-up" portraits, but not very good for full length. Motorcycle mirrors make good reflectors, although small.

Sorry, Scott, just couldn't get anything done for this assignment. :doh:

I know this contest has closed, but I got what I think is a cool shot while visiting Downtown Dallas this afternoon. The afternoon sun was reflecting off the building on the left and lighting the entire face of the building on the right, which was in shadow. I love the Sunstars, the shadows going different ways, and the distorted curves my fisheye lens gave to the photo. I just wanted to share this one.

p1915833024-4.jpg

Back