• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin to Alaska ... July 2014

I Casper putting on some rain gear again.

Bummer, but sounds like you've had reasonably dry weather though. We had 11 of 12 days where we hit rain, a few of those were all day soakers. But hey, a wet day on the bike is still better than a dry day at work..

The only gloves that I've found to be waterproof at Highway speed. Somewhere in the background Carman is singing "In the ghetto"
a4y9u4er.jpg

How has your rear brake disc held up with the Haul Rd and all that wet fine gravel residue? Did it destroy your pads/disc?

How has your rear brake disc held up with the Haul Rd and all that wet fine gravel residue? Did it destroy your pads/disc?

Did it destroy yours as well? On our trip, I think all of ours were toast due to the haul road.

I had to replace pads in Anchorage to get me back to Texas, then pads and a rear disc once home. I've heard a LOT of people have to do that and I can see why. That super-fine wet gravel just flows over the pads and every time you apply the rear brake, instant grinding of the components.

Heading towards Colorado city on 165 part of an on ramp had washed out into the highway. Police had traffic stopped and a plow truck clearing off the road. Big lightning storm while I waited... I can take a hint. Stopped for the night.

Seems I end up using this trick a lot...
3e6a7ury.jpg

Sorry about the rain. The riding gods are telling you to take your time and go back to the mountains.

Watch yourself coming in. North of Dallas got 9-10 inches of rain last night and there's some road closures up that way. Final route might need some altering for this weather coming through.

Nevermind, I see you are coming in the back way...good planning, should take you around the weather. :D

You must be doing a few things right, all the rain is heading east in front of you. Hope you stay dry and make it in before the next round of storms.
The Spot sure has been fun to follow.

Back