• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Baggers?

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
I am only in the thinking process so nobody freak out just yet.

Got the new Interceptor and the 09 RT in the garage. Though they aren't the same, they kinda serve same purpose. I was toying with the idea of trading the RT in for a bagger. Suggestions appreciated, the ones I was looking at are HD Road King, Victory Cross Country, VStar 1300 Tour Deluxe but I'm open to other suggestions. No Street Glide, Road Glide or Ultra though the HD police bikes kinda interest me. Looked at the FB6 but after riding one, I crossed it off the list. I've ridden the CC and a 14 RK and both were pretty decent.

Looking for something to cruise on but capable of hitting the road for a trip. For that reason, I'm kinda leaning towards the RK. I saw a 2013 that I liked but know the 14+ has the revisions. $15K max price

I rode the RT today and was thinking, nah I don't need a bagger but hey it is the holidays and got time to kill as long as work doesn't call me out.

Last edited:
BMW is supposed to making a bagger out of the K1600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Cross Country Tour is the best in class for power, price, and reliability. In my opinion it handles much better than my electra glide did and had FAR more power. The saddlebags are the biggest on a production bike as well. I'm a bit of a Vic fanboy and Harley hater, put 50k trouble free miles on my 06 victory kingpin and all 4 of my harleys were more of a nuisance with maintenance and breakdowns than any other bikes I have owned. I've got a buddy who sells Victorys and Indians for Freedom in Mckinney. He'd be happy to make you a deal on one.

The Cross Country Tour is the best in class for power, price, and reliability. In my opinion it handles much better than my electra glide did and had FAR more power. The saddlebags are the biggest on a production bike as well. I'm a bit of a Vic fanboy and Harley hater, put 50k trouble free miles on my 06 victory kingpin and all 4 of my harleys were more of a nuisance with maintenance and breakdowns than any other bikes I have owned. I've got a buddy who sells Victorys and Indians for Freedom in Mckinney. He'd be happy to make you a deal on one.

I did like the two rides I had on the CC. Curious, were any of the HD's 2014 or later? I was on ADVRider and a guy that owns a BMW dealership had a 2013 and liked it but raves about the 2014.

I hope your buddy does well at the McKinney Location cuz the sales folks at the Hurst location really don't seem like they want to sell a bike.

Well, I like my ST. Great for touring, and can slice the canyons quite well. A lot of the sport bikes can't keep up with me, if I decide to get a bit crazy...but I tend not to do that too much. :evil: I love that it's so quiet. I refuse to ride behind or on HDs because of the noise.

If I have to replace it, though, it most likely won't be a Honda. As much as I like this one, they've done nothing with the platform. Yamaha and Kawasaki have updated and upgraded their offerings over the years, and Honda has changed the color. Some things that would have been nice right off the floor: cruise control, heated grips?, better seat...at least make them optional. Things that others are doing: adjustable suspension, motor tweaking (power/mileage).

Last edited:
My friend in Amarillo (I can PM you his contaact info if you want) owns a 2016 Road King and an R1200RT both. He and I rode together (Him on his RK, me on my Valkyrie) yo western Montana this past summer. That RK is a great bike.

Sharkey,
My Harleys were in order an 08 sportster 1200, 03 vrod, 04 fatboy, and 00 electra glide. None of them were reliable with the exception of the Vrod, but when I had a Harley dealer service it for the first 5k service, they gave it back to me without coolant and I roasted the motor on the 20 mile ride home. Needless to say after HD replaced my motor I never let their shops touch another of my bikes again. I am not a fan of HD motor technology. They have been modifying the same poorly designed base motor for decades, and just about every other manufacturer makes a better power plant, especially the Polaris brands.

If you end up stopping by the Mckinney store, ask for Mark. He loves these baggers and really enjoys matching the rider to the right bike. I know he will take good care of you.

Drop by Dream Machines off 35 in Carrollton. I bought my Ultra Classic there. Way better prices on used bikes than any dealership. Mostly Harleys, but plenty of other brands too.

Well, I like my ST. Great for touring, and can slice the canyons quite well. A lot of the sport bikes can't keep up with me, if I decide to get a bit crazy...but I tend not to do that too much. :evil: I love that it's so quiet. I refuse to ride behind or on HDs because of the noise.

I like my ST as well, handles well great range, but there is a big difference in feel and soul for me in a big V-Twin for a easy casual ride, I was in the minority as I think i was one of the few that ran stock exhaust on my Ultra the entire time I had it.

Probably not going to get too much positive on HD products on this forum as it's not really the demographic here. Which is ok. That being said, I like them. Never bought one, but have test ridden many. For me, if I were to get back into riding, a RK, Dyna, or Heritage would be on my short list. Fit and finish is great, and for me I just like the feel of them over the metrics. I know many at work that ride HD's and no maintenance issues. Another thing I'll mention is if the bagger/cruiser thing is an itch to scratch, it may be easier to sell an HD product than a metric cruiser when you decide it's not for you. Unloading a metric cruiser is no easy task. Just opinions. On a side note, the Vic's look good too. Never ridden one, but have heard good things.

I've owned several HD's. 2007 Classic, 2009 Ultra Classic and my favorite and current
2013 Road Glide Ultra Classic.

Drop by Dream Machines off 35 in Carrollton. I bought my Ultra Classic there. Way better prices on used bikes than any dealership. Mostly Harleys, but plenty of other brands too.

They are on my list to visit. Their Round Rock store has a nice 15 RK for sale.

Thanks for all the comments. I did consider resale if the bagger deal isn't for me but once I buy the vest and get the tattoos, there is no turning back! [emoji3]

I think I am leaning towards the RK. I am in no big hurry so I am sure deals will come in Jan. The folks at Texas Harley have been nice folks. They have a 14 but don't like the color. I want to find one that was farkled a bit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put many miles on my HD Fatboy, then bought an Ultra. Loved them both. After awhile, bought an RT. Started riding that one so much, I sold both HDs. Something different?

That said, I really liked my HD's and several times thought about buying an RK. Spend time in the saddle on several RKs and a Heritage.

Here is what I really miss/like about the HDs. The thump thump thump going down the highway, the comfortable riding position, and the engine had the torque to handle most situations without having to shift. I tend to ride more leisurely on the HDs and enjoy the scenery more.

They might not be the fastest or the best canyon carvers some need to prove whatever they need to prove, they might not have the greatest storage, but they do have the "smile" factor and I never felt I was missing a thing traveling on mine. I think everyone needs one in their stable.

Buy it. The smiles will be ear to ear!

I have had my FLHRPI for two and a half years now and still love her. Great looking, sounding, riding bike. If you're looking for cheap, though, you really can't beat a 2003-2005 VTX1800 with the full touring fairing/windshield, bags and top case- you can snag them on CL for $3500 and invest another $3k in toys before you're even starting to near beater Harley bagger price range. I just broke 103k mi on my '03 VTX and she's never had anything done except clutch replacement.

I might be biased for I have been riding Harley Baggers since 1980, All of them with the fixed fairing.
Old ones(80s) was very bad but lots of fun.
Up to 2008 the were ok but majorly updated in 2009 and then the present series since 2014 and the latest update with capacity increase in 2016.
Harleys from the last 7 or so years are as reliable as any other brand, fit and finish and paint is exceptional and accessories abound.
I have an Explorer too and have had many Yamahas and BMWs too. and another Triumph. Thus I am not a single brand rider but I always gravitate back to the Harley. I don't dress like a pirate and show up at Harley meets in mesh and Kevlar and nobody says anything about that.
Rent a Harley for a weekend and go some distance. You will buy one.
Andre

Add the Yamaha Royal Star to your list...bang for the buck, its hard to beat. Super smooth highway cruiser, V4 power, pretty much all the bells and whistles come standard, including air suspension and electronic cruise control. Plus the windshield and passenger backrest can be quickly removed if desired. I never desired, but ya can if'n ya wanted to. Mine doesn't get ridden much since I picked up my Versys and don't get much time off from work for long trips.

I love my 07 RK. It runs like a top with 76K on it. All brands make a good bike, and the ST bikes are really fun, but no one stops and checks it/you out when you pull up on it. HD just has that presence and Americana image that is part of the brand. It's fun. All of the HD events I have been to, even just cruising up to a dealership mid week, they are always open and inviting and just flat out love the bikes/brand. You are welcome to try my 07 RK out. The new bikes are even better though.

I love my 07 RK. It runs like a top with 76K on it. All brands make a good bike, and the ST bikes are really fun, but no one stops and checks it/you out when you pull up on it. HD just has that presence and Americana image that is part of the brand. It's fun. All of the HD events I have been to, even just cruising up to a dealership mid week, they are always open and inviting and just flat out love the bikes/brand. You are welcome to try my 07 RK out. The new bikes are even better though.

I appreciate the offer. I am pretty sure the RK will be my pick if I make the switch. I need to ride a 14 again to be sure. Someone mentioned a rental and I probably need to do that. I called Dream Cycles about the 15 they have. $100 brings it up from Round Rock so maybe we can make a deal? Even though the RT is a fine ride, I think the Interceptor and RK will make a great combo in the garage.

Perhaps I don't need to be King but rather a Nomad?? [emoji3]. Anyone have anything to say on the Kawasaki Nomad 1700? Yeah I know, it is a metric (like that is a bad thing). I can handle the depreciation especially if I get a deal on the front end.
Looks like they get ridden a lot and it has everything I want already on it. Color combos look decent too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode a 1500 Nomad and did not like it nearly as much as my RK. The trailing front fork design of the H-D baggers is pure genius. They out turn anything designed to imitate them.

Perhaps I don't need to be King but rather a Nomad?? [emoji3]. Anyone have anything to say on the Kawasaki Nomad 1700? Yeah I know, it is a metric (like that is a bad thing). I can handle the depreciation especially if I get a deal on the front end.
Looks like they get ridden a lot and it has everything I want already on it. Color combos look decent too
I had no problems with mine and wish I hadn't sold it, a KLR/Nomad combo would be a happy garage for me right now. The windshield is easy on/off with just four bolts, no problems doing it solo several times, so it's kinda convertible that way. Nice in the summer to take it off, does a good job in the winter of keeping you warm.

Deleted....

As someone who's owned three Harleys, I didn't have anything nice to say....

Last edited:
Back