• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barnwell

I will likely be out there on Black Friday if I know some folks are going to be around. My wife works retail so she won't be around likely that whole day. If not I will be likely be there at least one day for sure. I'm only an hour or so away from there.

Last edited:
I might be up for this if can find someone to share the ride up with me!

Rob, whatcha planning for - overnight or just up and back?

Well, I'm a home body, really thinking up and back but I'm sure wife would let me spend the night. Just like my own bed! lol

What is Barnwell and where is it. I have that weekend held for a camping trip somewhere.
Is it dog friendly?

Never mind. I think I found it.

http://barnwellmountainra.com/

Way too far north for me. Unless I was going to AR and that was a rest stop (good idea for next time)

I think I'll go to SHNF.

Glad this place was brought to my attention. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've never been, but wouldn't mind trying it out. One question, my Wife is still a beginner on the dirt so would Barnwell be alright for her?

The actual mc loop, no way. But like other big parks, there is exploring room. But anybody can get in over their heads there if not careful.

I've ridden there once. It's probably the best single track riding that I know of in Texas. There are spots where you'd think you were in Arkansas. Lots of rock and sand but with tight woods and great topography. The place handles rain very well. Can't say much about noob riding since I was following a bunch of suicidal locals bent on destroying both man and machine. They talked about the "A" loop in tones of fear and apprehension... meaning I have no business venturing anywhere near it. The stuff we rode was technically challenging. It'll make you a better/more rounded rider. It's a long doggone drive up there for me and really justifies an overnighter.

If I was closer, you'd see me out there a whole bunch.

Don't know who you followed but same thing happened to me of all things on my "black Friday" ride several years ago! Guess Thanksgiving is my time of year up there! Actually done that twice, anyway was following Bud H. and Chris Jester, they kept veering off the mc loop and killing me. I finally told them to do their thing and tell me where to catch up with them at. I was on a CRF450 Honda,it is not a tight woods/hill climber bike. I kept flaming out and falling off those hills, not fun.

And yes, I agree it's best single track in the state and ONE way!

I've ridden there once. It's probably the best single track riding that I know of in Texas. There are spots where you'd think you were in Arkansas. Lots of rock and sand but with tight woods and great topography. The place handles rain very well. Can't say much about noob riding since I was following a bunch of suicidal locals bent on destroying both man and machine. They talked about the "A" loop in tones of fear and apprehension... meaning I have no business venturing anywhere near it. The stuff we rode was technically challenging. It'll make you a better/more rounded rider. It's a long doggone drive up there for me and really justifies an overnighter.

If I was closer, you'd see me out there a whole bunch.

Now you're talking.

The actual mc loop, no way. But like other big parks, there is exploring room. But anybody can get in over their heads there if not careful.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I don't know if we will make this trip but hope to do so soon.

Warrior, I took my wife up there and she was a bit intimidated at first, but wants to go back and try more of the single track. She likes Bills woods at RR except for a few hills. She has never actually finished all of bills woods, but made it like 3/4 of the way. Save for me taking it down a few hills. She sure gives it **** though. I think there would be enough there to keep the riding fun and challenging as much as she wants. All the off shoots eventually come back to blue trail. You won't know until you get her out there to try.

The MC track is divided into three colors. Red (hard), Yellow (medium) and Blue (beginners). The blue loop has only just a few off shoots that are actually single track. Its mostly wide and two track. My wife had a great time on those. I was going to send her on a few of the yellow track stuff. I think there would be a enough to make it interesting. It's pretty rocky and does have more elevation changes than Muenster.

There are showers and bathrooms. The entry fee gets you access to them. Be sure to bring your towels, shampoo, and soap. Its very nice to drive home already clean. You can rent a bunk house for 50 a night. No attached bathrooms, but they are not that far. Also there are trailer hook ups. Bigger cabins are 89 a night. Food is about 6 miles away into town. There is a good Sandwich shop on the square in town or opposite town a bit there is a good Catfish place. If you split the bunks between a few people the cost would not be bad.

From DFW its not much farther than RR and way less crowded. Not sure about a 3 day weekend, but still likely less than RR.

You do need a state sticker (18 per bike). Also, I ended up buying a membership. It was going to cost me 60 bucks (30 per bike) to ride as a non member. The membership was 60 bucks. A bit steep the first time out. Members covered under the membership are 15 bucks for everyone next time out. A little less than Muenster when once you buy the yearly and the yearly does not cost as much. Not a ton of difference though. I also already had bought the stickers for the bikes so I spread the cost out a bit. Same with this year. I have my 16 sticker already (they sell them there), but not my wife's. I was able to spread out the yearly cost and both stickers this year which was nice.

http://barnwellmountainra.com/images/map_mc.jpg

Last edited:
Planning on riding with my wife out there Sunday. Was going to head to SHNF to ride with a buddy all weekend, but she was able to swing her shift to get Sunday off. Likely won't leave to early. We usually park close to the pavilion and bathrooms.

White 08 GMC with two KTMs. Will likely start on the blue trail and take a few single track options. As cool as it is I doubt will be out there much before 9:00. Probably more like 9:30 or 10. Depending on how fast I can get her up and moving.

It was a great day... greasy in spots. I found a nice mud hole
495f9af6e9cb96571cf789cc5e4a2378.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes camping Friday through Sunday!!!

Looks like I've talked JT into going. We would arrive around noon on Friday and leave Sunday.

A long drive (5hrs) for such a short visit, but it sounds like it would be worth it.

Weather man gives it a 60% chance of rain for those days. It's a long way off, I hope they are wrong.

Last edited:
Back