• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop trails

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
So it appears that my introduction of many of you to the Bastrop trails has achieved my goal: to get more riders out here!

This thread is for telling your tales of adventure in the Lost Pines.

I was out this morning to meet Mike (Meriden on ADV) and Steve (Scrambler) and we had fun watching Steve negotiate the trails on him 08 Triumph Scrambler. 860+ cc and road tires. He is a little rock-phobic on that pretty bike, so he plans on getting a true dirt ds thumper this week. He used to race hare scrambles, so he is going to be fast out here when he has a bike he is willing to drop.

Then I got a call from a guy that couldn't make it last weekend but who had trailered in from Houston. He and his buddy were on two almost new DRZ400s. I am embarrassed to to say I can't remember their names (sorry- post or PM me please). I lead them around the loop, gave them a few pointers and then had had to head out.

I saw John (jthompson) unloading his BRP at the soccer fields and I stopped to say hello.

Then I saw (and waved to) two more ds riders coming down 95 on the way into town. I don't know for sure but have to assume they were on the way to get dirty.

Sweet!

I just to remind all of you to stay on the 'roads' with a plated bike and Johnny Law will give you no trouble. Say off of the 'lots' and out of the woods. Scrambler has been riding out here for years and 'thems the rules'.

Post up here or pm me if you want to ride some time. I ride alone a lot, but am much faster and more secure when riding with a partner. I know I can call out if I have a minor injury, but I don't think I could if I cracked my noggin real hard. I ride most Saturday mornings (the earlier the better) and can sneak out some weekday afternoons.

Next...

My son and I may be heading over for a Sunday after church ride tomorrow. We discovered these trails by accident a while back and had a blast riding them. I just hope the extra attention doesn't get the locals nervous.

Joel,
That was me and my buddy Rob. Those are actually '01 DRZ's. Thanks for showing us around and helping pick me up after I fell down. We had a great time.

I'll PM my contact info to you.

Those rides are cherry for 01s. It was very nice to meet you and Rob, and I'm glad ya'll had a good time.

Just got back from the bastrop trails with my son. We had a blast, didn't see another soul out out there. I'm tired.:yawn:

Had a good time last week and it was good to meet Ken and Rob. (Those were some cherry bikes!) After the ride Scrambler and I headed out Old Sayer's road, back down 95 and then out the park road to Smithville. Steve said we passed you on 95.

Great place to ride. If we keep our manners and noise in check the neighbors shouldn't complain. Also important is keeping in touch via TWT since the numerous crossings create a minor collision risk.

Great place, thanks again for sharing. I'm staining the spot where I wash the BMW red with Bastrop county dirt.

I agree about the intersections being a possible trouble spot. My take on it is that you should always be prepared to yield, but north/south roads have the right of way, except where the high tension lines meet the red road. Do you feel me?

I rode out there yesterday when it was nice and warm by myself for about an hour. There was a couple walking their dog that I passed three times. I slowed down to a crawl as soon as I saw them, and of course smiled and waved as I passed. They didn't seem to like me out there the first time by, but the more I saw them the more they warmed up. I stopped and talked to them for a minute the last time I saw them over by the slippery hill. They said they didn't mind us using the trails as long as we didn't endanger them or their little dog.

I was working on the little jumps and was getting the float I wanted. I got a little overzealous with the front brake on the big downhill on the gas line trail and dumped it. I jumped clear but snapped my front brake lever. Hand guards and a new lever are on order. My pretty little bike is taking a beating.

If anybody wants to ride this afternoon, I'm game. I just have to be home by 3pm.

Holler,
Joel
512- seven seven562thirteen

As far as new trails go, has anyone done any riding up at Ft. Hood? Heard the Corp of Engineers opened a bunch of acreage up there for dual sport / trails. Killeen / Lake Belton area. Rumor is that they also have a motocross track.

New Trails-- Would like to know more about that.

Too funny Joel! You will soon run out of excuses not to get a bike less than 20 years old :)

Stopping and being friendly with the hikers and their dogs (we saw them as well) is a recipe for success, especially in such a small area.

BTW, this thread is worthless without pics, so I'll toss one in of the area :)

1181910566_JANNB-L.jpg

I took my first trip to Hidden Falls on Sunday, wow that is a big place with some gnarly stuff.

1179697713_cJViE-M.jpg

Coolhand. I was thinking of heading to Hidden Falls soon. What do you really think of it? How was the riding more like Big Bend or SHNF or something in the middle? Places to park an RV? Is there enough trails for 2 days of riding? My brother is coming in from Mich on the 23rd. He loves the single track. I have taken him to BB twice and was thinking of SHNF this time. Hidden falls was going to be a back up if SHNF is rained out.

I'm going to keep this bike as a teaching bike or a loaner to my kids when they come into town. It's going to be a while before I can sport another bike. Priorities and all...

That's cool though. If I can overcome the shortcomings of this bike then I will rip when I step into the modern age. 'It's not the guitar it's the player'

In the mean time I am going fab a skid plate and get some real dirt tires. I just put on hand guards today.

IMG_5751.png

IMG_5749.jpg

Joel - dirt tires would make a big difference for you, I'll bet you'd enjoy it.

Atrisk, I hesitate to pass judgement because I really didn't see that much of the park. We worked on skills in the morning and then basically rode some trails and the perimeter before heading home at 14:00. I think you could be pretty happy there for a long weekend. Some of the rough jeep roads reminded me of Big Bend but while most have good views for the Hill Country, it's obviously not BB. I think there is a fair bit of single/ATV track that I had a ball on, some of it pretty technical. Not having been to SHNF I can't compare at all.

My ride report is here: http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=1837.0

Coolhand, thanks for the report on Hidden Falls.

Joel, Like the handguards on the NX. Worth their weight in gold when trying to get around the deep water without getting muddy. May try to make it out to Tahitian Saturday Morning if all goes well with the weather. Where did you get that seat cover again?

That seat cover is a Walmart ATV sear cover. linky

I don't know how well the guards are going to keep my hands dry, but they will do nicely to protect them from brush and keep my levers from snapping off. (see sig line)

Tusk D-flex from rockymountianatvmc.com. $55 bones.

The install was easy enough. The tools involved were a 5mm allen and a 10mm socket. I did use a 8mm socket and a #2 phillips to remove my brake and clutch perch to ease in placement and a small pair of slip-joint pliers to remove the stock plastic bar caps.

I loosely assembled the brush bars to the clamp for the handlebar and to the expansion bolt that slips into the handlebar end, removed one bolt from the clamp to slide over the bar, eyeballed the angle, eyeballed how the brake and clutch would fit, and started tightening.

Once I was done I took a new utility blade to the guard and scraped of the big white words on the plastic. Way too garrish, IMHO.

Oh yeah, put the plastic parts on before you start the install. That way you don't have to do it all twice.

Thanks for the tips, I was looking at those for my klr, they are about $35 cheaper than the bark busters or maier's. I didn't like the graphics either, they still look nice after scraping the lettering off?

I think so. I also know they are going to get scraped to heck after a few rides, so I put it to them myself!

guard.png

When my Dad bought a new car home, he would pick up a little pebble off the ground and toss it over his shoulder at the car. He wanted to take ownership of the first scratch so he could sleep at night.

Last edited:
Back