• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

Wishing all the determination to you.

Bob, dieting without knowledge is hard. Weight Watchers has some info on calories in all kinds of foods. I was surprised that even saltine crackers add up. Counting calories really works. Set a goal for low enough calories to survive well but a gradual weight loss.

My advice is to get rid of all of snack food in your home, this morning. Clean out the refrigerator and freezer too. When you get desperate at 11 pm, you don't want a solution in the pantry. When my wife and I started doing Weight Watchers online, I had three bags of ginger snaps hidden in the cupboard. you know what happened. My wife had trouble losing weight. After she died, I found a bag snicker bars in a table drawer next to her chair.

Don't try to lose five pounds a week, one or two is plenty. Instead do a lifestyle change.

From my experience, exercise only makes you fitter. A stop at McDonald's can make up for any calories used and add some extra.

My goal five years ago was to get off my blood pressure medicine. I'm still on it but at a lower dosage. I've lost 30 pounds but never reached my goal weight. It's a continual struggle and doesn't get any easier as we age. But at least we are aging. We only get one trip in this world. Let's prolong it as long as possible!

Sorry to hear about your hospital stay Bob. Glad your out & doing ok.

I went to the doctor last week. He said "your fat". I said "I'd like a second opinion". He said "ok, your ugly too".

I was at 485 about this time 2 years ago when I was weighed at the hospital prior to a wrist surgery. I could get around fairly well and continued eating chicken fried steak with coconut cream pie for desert and several glasses of sweet tea to go along with it a couple times a week. Also was drinking a gallon of sweet tea a day; and when I say sweet, I'm talking about a pound of sugar to a gallon of tea. I'm 55 and had the attitude that most of my family has died around 65, I have no children, wife, or dependents so I might as well enjoy eating as I like now. Someone came into my life and suggested It didn't have to end at 65. I went to my doctor and got checked out. Other than being obese and having a slightly high blood/sugar number (123 - shouldn't be over 99), I'm fairly healthy. He talked me into following the "Blood Sugar Solution" by Doctor Mark Hyman and start an exercise regimin. Just following the diet since late October of last year, I can tell I've lost a good bit of weight. I can't quantify how much as I don't have a scale capable of measuring my weight and I know I'm still over 400 as the one in the doctor's office doesn't go any higher - still peg it. But, even in the last notch in my belt, I can inhale and my pants will drop to my ankles. I used to have to run third to last notch. My off-road riding pants I haven't been able to get into in over 10 years, now fit and the jacket I bought last summer that needed about 6 inches to get the zipper together - I can now zip up to my chest with the liner in it. I'm not concentrating on a weight goal number, just loosing pounds and inches. About to get into the exercise regimin and that should really help as well. The hardest thing to give up was sweet tea; I was as hooked as bad as any alcoholic is to alcohol. But, I've only had a half glass since October last year and that was at a restaurant that ran out of unsweet as I was filling my glass. Still a long way to go, but is sure getting easier to get up out of a chair and climb stairs.

Last edited:
Bob,

I applaud your approach and goal. May I suggest being very specific?

On eating habits and drinking:

-sugar is the enemy, cut out of your diet including hidden sugars and syrups-jams
-portion control, especially if eating out: eat half, take the rest home
-stick with protein, especially lean chicken, fish and such
-olive oil is your friend, especially on salads
-forget processed meats: hotdogs, ham, sausages, pastrami, etc
-salt is the enemy: never salt anything, ever
-eggs are your friend
-cheese is the enemy, however there are very low fat cheeses that are ok like parmesan
-no soda pop ever or other sugary drinks, unsweetened ice tea is good
-extremely limit beer, red wine is ok in moderation, forget hard booze
-pasta and bread in limited quantities, but only whole grain
-boost up your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables and salads

Exercise

-walk walk walk and keep track, strive for at least 5000 steps a day, target more, if you have dogs walk them twice a day, do it rain or shine, hot or cold
-get a bicycle and ride it: cardio burns fat like crazy, drink lots of water
-get enough sleep a hidden key in weight loss
-hydrate with water, and more water and nothing else
-stretch stretch and stretch some more
-join a gym and start core and muscle strength with weights, start light, get instruction
-consider pilates yoga or group instruction if that helps motivation, same with a personal trainer.

Benefits

-more fun riding a motorcycle
-bumps up sex life
-all your clothes will fall off you and you can buy cool new leathers
-you will feel more energetic and sleep better, reduced sleep apnea
-live long enough to torment your family into your 90s
-much less worry about heart attacks, stroke, Alzheimer's, liver disease and the list goes on and on and on and on and on some more
-joints much happier
-mental boost from oxygen and also big endorphin emotional boost: you will be happy.

There is my short list. I retired about 18 months ago. Advice from a friend: each day when you get up decide what you can do to be healthy and happy. I have lost 15 pounds and my strength and flexibility are way up. Stress is way down, and I am extremely happy. I will throw in one of the most healthy practices I know is learn to meditate from an expert, that can only be done is a class, and then do it.

Good luck.

We expect weekly reports.

Just do it.

Clean out the fridge now--throw the junk away, don't eat it down, and don't let friends or family derail your goals.

Saying a prayer for your success.

And oh I quit the nicotine addiction for good last October. So, I know the path.

Bob. It can be done. keeping it off being the challenge. Losing weight is a goal. Staying lighter is a lifestyle... still a challenge to fully embrace for me.

Went from 320+ to 175. Settling in in the mid 180's. But following a "successful" Octoberfest season, and Holidays, I am about 192 this morning! Although it is hard to account for the extra time spent in the weight room and such, I know I need to work a little harder with the maintenance to drop the holiday/beer weight.

I dropped my weight with a lot (6 days a week of strenuous cardio) and diet. Lost the bulk of the weight in 13 months.

I have seen many people use "systems" to drop weight, only to gain it back. I cannot imagine eating nutricystems type prepared food forever.

I eat food I make. If you have time, this is easy. For me it is a drag, but I do it.
Here is an example of my typical weekday

Breakfast= 420 Cal
1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal prepared = 150 Cal (added for energy after weight loss)
2 hard boiled eggs (Or one and the other's white) = 140 Cal
1- cup plain 0% greek yogurt = 130 Cal

Lunch= 376 Cal
Big salad with tomatoes, lettuce, black olives, yellow peppers, onion, cucumber = 101 Cal (My fitness pal estimate)
Maple Grove Farms sugar free vinaigrette = 15 cal
4 0z Oscar Meyer smoked turkey = 100 Cal
1 Joseph's (at wal-mart) low carb flat bread = 120 Cal
(all wrapped up with the turkey lettuce, mustard, onion)
Pickle = 5 cal
Baby carrots = 35 Cal

Dinner= 390-ish Cal
6 oz of (Pick one: skinless salmon, fish/tilapia/cod/bass, chicken breast, pork sirloin, venison) = 180-240 CAL
Steamed veggies (Brussels sprouts, brocc, cauli, beans, etc) = 40-90 Cal
Small sweet potato = 100 cal

Snack (at 3:00PM) = 150 Cal
Apple = 90-120 Cal
Lite Cheese Stick = 50

Total = About 1400-1500 calories

A few notes: While losing the weight, I did not eat much in the way of grains or starches. I was very Bear-like, eating mostly veggies, lean protein, and fruits for a little boost in energy. I also worked with a trainer in the gym and had a few meetings with a food scientist. I had to go from "food as enjoyment" to "food as fuel".

Here are a couple of pics... Me in Jan 2013, me last week.

If I can help with anything just let me know.

Attachments

• me then.jpg
    me then.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 151
  • me now.jpg
    me now.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
that: "food as enjoyment" to "food as fuel"
I need to climb back on the wagon myself.
my goal: get rid of BP meds. I did it once when I got down to around 205#. Currently at 230# I also think it would help some of my joint & back issues

my lifestyle strategy that worked; just got lazy about it
  • NO seconds and reasonable portions. the only point of denial in my strategy. Playing card portion sizes on anything not raw fruits or veggies - not family Bible size portions.
  • enjoy all in moderation. denying myself certain foods, etc. just doesn't work for me. e.g., instead of 2 beers, just one.
  • 5:2 Fasting - in very simple terms, eliminate 2 suppers a week and don't eat any calories after 2pm on those days.
  • eat as many foods that don't have labels as possible, e.g. raw, fresh fruits and veggies
  • some serious, active movement at least 30 min a day

good luck to us all and everybody that's decided, "it's time"

Last edited:
[*]5:2 Fasting - in very simple terms, eliminate 2 suppers a week and don't eat any calories after 2pm on those days.

I have always been scared of fasting. I heard it stops your metabolism. Even if I overdo it at lunch, I will still east something later in the day to keep the fires burning. I try not to eat any meals after 7:00, but that does not always work with parenting. My kid eats what i eat, and has learned to love "old people food" like salmon, plain yogurt, veggies...

I have always been scared of fasting. I heard it stops your metabolism...

False, it actually improves most people's metabolism. But bottom line do what works for you and do something that you can live with for life. Many diets that are heavily restrictive or cause you to eat in a manner that you could never do outside of your home kitchen; i.e. when visiting, dining out or traveling will end up fading away and your weight going back on. Think simplicity and sustainability foremost. And of course exercise no matter how low impact.

_

False, it actually improves most people's metabolism. But bottom line do what works for you and do something that you can live with for life. Many diets that are heavily restrictive or cause you to eat in a manner that you could never do outside of your home kitchen; i.e. when visiting, dining out or traveling will end up fading away and your weight going back on. Think simplicity and sustainability foremost. And of course exercise no matter how low impact.

_
Everybody wants to be a dietician [emoji12]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Bob,

Get better soon. We're rooting for you.

I had some pretty good luck with alternate day fasting a few years ago and SB used a method similar to mine to shave off a few pounds. It works and there is a lot of science behind it. Can't say it's for everybody, including me these days.

I never was a competitive athlete, but an endurance runner of the obsessive kind. A couple of years ago arthritis caught up to me and at my last physical I told the doc that I needed to get back into the gym or something. He put me on a high dose naproxen therapy which has really helped, but prevents me from drinking too much or eating junk. As it is I have to eat everyday or the Naproxin will eat me so no fasting. I'm following a modified DASH diet that is almost vegetarian. I was a vegetarian for 10 years and during that period was healthy enough that my physician is still reads me the riot act at each physical for giving it up when I did.

I went back to the UTHSC rec center and found a trainer who is in the process of killing me with the workouts I so desperately needed. During my assessment I learned that at 5'10" and 173 pounds, I was 24.5% body fat; that's borderline obese. I'm fixing that.

My advice is this. Don't take my advice on diet or exercise. There are professionals out there who can do a science based assessment, tailor a plan specific to the individual and then walk your through it until you can do it on your own, all for less than an average car payment. The older generation in my family are all in their mid 70s or older. Some are in good health, others very ill. The difference in every case is diet, exercise, alcohol and smoking. According to the CDC roughly two of five people will die an early death of heart disease or cancer preceded by long period of disability first, all because of their diet and exercise. For me, that stat alone makes the other personal risk factors so much in vogue these days seem like nonsense in comparison.

m

Last edited:
When I started this thread way back when, I was up to 287 lbs and realized I needed to lose weight in order to enjoy life better. My goal is to get under 200 lbs.

I'm posting now to see how others did with their weight loss program and to provide an update of my situation.

At the beginning of my weight loss campaign, I was also wanting to ride the continental divide route with some friends. My wife agreed to this venture providing I lost some weight and got in better shape. I was able to lose 20 lbs and went on my adventure. While on the adventure, I crashed and managed to break 6 ribs and collapse a lung. So much for being in better health ...

Still trying to reach the goal of 200, nothing worked. I hovered around 265. For a brief time, I got under 260 but my body just seem to like the 260s. I had grown acceptance of that and felt, well at least I was no longer in the 280s

During the summer while working on my deck, I fell,off the ladder and fractured my L1 vertabra. That got repaired but I continued to have back pain. I stopped complaining to the doctors because they keep telling me that losing weight would be the best thing I could do for my back pain. So, I opened another beer and ignored their advice.

After a lot of beer, chicken fried steak and other bad eating habits by last week I noticed my weight had crept back up to 284! So, now I start thinking "I need to take some action to correct this". I open another beer and think about it.

THEN,

Saturday, I had a heart attack!

I am receiving a message loud and clear now.

Obviously, I'm hospitalized and Monday they ran a cardiac catheterization and determined that I had some major blockages which could be repaired with stints. So I undergo another procedure to implement these stints. During that procedure I arrested twice while conscious. I remember them yelling at me to breath (I don't remember not breathing) then BAM! I'm hit with a jolt. Someone is still yelling at me to breath, then a bigger BAM! When you are zapped with the juice, it feels like being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer.

I'm really really receiving a message loud and clear now.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday and it feels so good to be in my on bed without being wired to monitors or hooked up to IVs

I feel good physically, but mentally, this is a lot to deal with. This scared the crap out of me. So, my battle of the bulge begins again, but this time I am highly motivated to not have a repeat episode. Now I'm not just talking about losing weight for the quality of life, now I need to lose weight to have a life.

We will have to grill chicken breasts next camp out.:bbq:

Step #1: Choose parents with no genetic predisposition for obesity. After that it's easy!

Thanks all for the advise and words of encouragement. I am trying to make progress in my diet and exercise goals. I'll post after a week and let you know how I am doing.

Any other fat guys want to join me in this.

Plenty of goods books too, My Beef With Meat, How to Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease to name a couple
https://youtu.be/TbXlzzp3guE
https://youtu.be/Op9fow8JKW4
https://youtu.be/nrvNUeQBd7A
Following a vegan diet definitely works too. Within a 2 month period my cholesterol went from being 437 with triglycerides at 2563 to 107 cholesterol and my triglycerides to 185. Heart disease is the number 1 killer for a reason here, we eat nutrient low, highly processed crap with a ton of fat and sugar.

Last edited:
Amazon... documentary called The Perfect Human Diet. Food for thought. See what I did there :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Bob
Very sorry to hear about the heart attack, but very happy to know you're still with us. I'll share as others have shared.

In June 2015 I weighed 303 lb and was right at a 46 waist. 60 was just around the corner and I really didn't see any problems being on High Blood Pressure Medicine and Cholesterol Meds other than the $100+ a month for the scripts. I loved my food was about all I could say. In early July I was taking a shower bfore work and the entire left side of my body went numb, not pain, just numb. Jay rushed me to the Methodist Emergency Clinic that one of the nurses that we know recommended. She said do not go to the ER because you'll sit and wait. Needless to say I was panicing thinking I was having a heart attack.

Bottomline...turned out to not be heart related....at that time. It was nerve and bone spur related.

Jay saw how miserable and scared I was and bought me a Fitbit trying to encourage me to exercise. So on July 22, 2015 I made a radical decision.

10,000 minimum steps a day
Complete change in diet
eat lots of fruit
lots of salad
cut out diet coke completely
drink at least 1 gallon of water each day
1 hour on the recumbent bike a day

My goal was to loose 75 lb by July 4 2016 and be off at least 1 of the meds I was on.

I blew through my goal weightwise by early February 2016. And sometime in Spring 2016 was at 196. And feeling very good about myself. The best experience was getting rid of fat clothes and moto gear and new clothes and gear.

So I know it can be done.

I've kept myself floating between 195 and 205 based on the week and how much traveling I have to do for work.

When Jay and I took our 3 week western vacation I did things I could never have done as FAT Darrell. I out hiked Jay who is 17 years younger than me and had better stamina on the rides than ever. And I did not gain a single lb on the trip because I watched everything I ate.

I won't go into the crazy detail on what I eat and everything related. Suffice it to say I live on 1500-2000 calories a day and actually get very full when I push the 2000 level.

If you're interested in learning more shoot me a PM.

My main advice to you it--
--Get a fitbit and use is RELIGOUSLY. I have upped my goal to 12,000 steps a day now.
--Ride a recumbent bike at the gym. Best aerobic exercise I know that is NOT hard on the knees. I ride 1 hour to 1.5 hours weekdays, thats 18 miles at the level I ride. On weekends I ride 2 x 1 hour sessions.
--Once you loose some of the weight start on the weights. That is critical.
--Use something like My Fitness Pal to track your food intake.
--NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER beat yourself up if you slip once you get started. I've allowed myself to slip here and there, but ONLY after I was mentally in the place where slipping wouldn't freak me out.
--Drink 1 gallon of water a day minimum. If you don't like tap water or bottled water plain, add some mint or cucumber or lemon to it. Or get a Soda Stream and carbonate the water. But drink the water. The more the better.
--Ask for help when you need help. Ask for advice when you want it.
--Celebrate the milestones.

I'm pulling for you as I know a lot of folks on here are.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

Let me know if I can be of any help!

Darrel,
Thank you so much for the time you took to tell me your story and the advice you imparted. I have lots of questions and I thought about PMing you, but then I felt others in this thread may also like to know.

First off: Fitbit

The app MyFitnessPal had been recommended by my PCP and I am starting to use it. I don't know about other types of phones, but on my iPhone it syncs with the iPhone's step counter so within the app I can track my food intake and my steps. What does the Fitbit do for me that the MyFitnessPal does not? You highly recommended Fitbit, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of why.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I received (gift) and wanted to use a fitbit, but I can't. I cannot take anything with any sort of bluetooth technology to work. Plus, it was the first one that they recalled, so I sidestepped out of that bill.

What the fitbit does (or would have done) for me is that you wear it like a watch. You stop thinking about grabbing the phone so you can be sure to have it with you. It also monitors your sleep habits, how much you move during the night - which reflects on how well you're actually sleeping. There may be more, but these things come to mind immediately. It still uses an app, but synch's to your phone using bluetooth, so you don't have to think about any of it. It just does.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there's at least one water resistant version (maybe all of them?), so you don't even have to remove it to shower.

Bob--Ask away. I'm pretty much a crusader for loosing weight. I have a really bad habit of speaking what is on my mind and being blunt with my answers. So if you ask a question don't expect a short and concise of flowery answer. :lol2:

My PGP recommended I get a Fitbit also. He made that recommendation at my annual physical back in December 2014, but I pooh poohed the suggestion. I wasn't going to pay $150 for something that I wasn't sure I would use routinely. I was not at the point mentally I needed to be at to make the life changing move. That took another 6 months.

The Fitbit is my constant reminder that I was fat. It is my constant reminder to walk and move. It is my heart rate monitor 24 hours a day. It is my motivator. I really don't know how best to describe it, but I have to wear it...but I don't notice I am wearing it.

That being said if I leave my Fitbit off after a shower, I definitely go looking for it. The one I have is not waterproof, I have the "old" Fitbit Charge HR. I do sweat like a pig but sweat does not bother it.

As chaissos said it is Bluetooth and you do have to synch it to your phone and you do have to charge it an keep it charged. I charge mine every 3-4 days whether it needs to be charged or not. I have a dedicated charger for it in the kitchen and another in my backpack to use at the office or traveling and I have an extra cable for the bike so I can charge it when camping. Yes, I am OCD about my Fitbit.

I use the Fitbit app for tracking the exercise. I have it linked to MyFitness Pal and to the App for my scale. I forgot to mention that in my initial post. We didn't own a scale and honestly I never wanted to own one before July 2016. I know I was fat and didn't want to know how bad it was. There are some really good bluetooth scales that will tell you everything you need to know. My recommendation is NOT to buy the scales made by the fitness band folks, they are far more expensive than they need to be....you're buying a name. THis is the scale I purchased. It's another motivational tool.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ENKDI?m=A21JAYJNFQ9DBU&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

I log my food consumption on MyFitness Pal. I log my water consumption on the Fitbit app. The scale has it's own app that logs all of the metrics it captures.

Now here's where I am probably going to get into trouble and this is strictly my opinion based on my experience and those of others. The android app is terrible for monitoring steps...it's a google app. And I'm an Android multiple device user. Doesn't work worth a darn. The iPhone app is the same way. I have co-workers who have iPhones and try using the fitness app portion. We walk the exact same route during the day...their steps can be 10-20% higher or lower than mine in a 1 mile walk. That's not very accurate. PLUS if you depend on the phone to track your steps that means you have to carry your phone with you. At work I want to be away from the phone and have peace and quiet. At home the same way, when we go walking I want peace and quiet.

My advice is not to buy more of a device than you really need. I highly recommend the Fitbit Charge 2. It's $129.95 at a lot of places on-line. Make 100% sure you measure your wrist to get the right size, don't guesstimate. I am still wearing my XL, but on the very smallest size notch. I'm too cheap to buy a new one until this one craps out.

I hope I answered the question(s) about the Fitbit you had.

Please let me know what else you would like to ask.

Darrell

I just bought my wife a fit bit charge 2 for her birthday off ebay new for 125. I wear her old one at night to monitor my sleeping habits.

How are y'all finding the accuracy of the Fitbit? Some of the reviews indicate that some models are more accurate than others.

My trainer suggested that I get an app to follow my workouts and food, but so far I'm doing a spreadsheet instead. My workouts and diet are not the kind of information that I want out in the wild. That sounds paranoid for sure, but the other day I was considering buying a new car before any potential tariffs kicked in and out of the blue my bank starts sending me emails about car loans. At the very least I don't want Google, et al, helping me decide my next healthcare move.

I've checked the Fitbit for stride (steps) and for heart rate and it is w/in 2-5% for me. I've had 3 of them now (battery issues on the first 2 but Fitbit made good on the warranty) and they have all been extremely accurate.

As far as info out in the Cyberworld.....my feeling is they already have everything from financing to doctors to motorcycle habits, so why not just use the apps. But that's coming from someone who just gave in to Google a few years ago and said you're going to find my stuff anyway, why try and fool them.

Back