• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

3 times a week I go the Y

Jog 7 blocks.
Lift and core about 400 reps (weights are down since my "stroke")
Row 1500 meters

I am usually beat to heck when done. Been doing it for a year and half and have been at this level for 6 months. Hadn't worked out in 35 years, now 62.

All,

My previous words may have been misinterpreted. I am discouraged but in no way am I considering giving up. Without sounding like I'm about to board Apollo 13, failure is not an option. At this point in my life, it's not just a snazzy saying, there is litterly is no other option for me. As I am about to enter my 70s, I won't have another chance. I would not survive another heart attack. I fully understand this.

I have severely reduced my coloric intake and increased my level of exercise, I was just hoping to see more results on the scales at this point. But my current status is simply the recognition that I need to step up my game and I will. I had promised to provide honest updates and I have and will continue to do so.

Up until 5 days ago I also took HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE for my blood pressure. The doc agreed to let me try without it and see if I can maintain a good blood pressure. The medication I was taking is basically a diacritic so it is possible that some of the increase I am seeing is water weight that I am retaining now that I am no longer taking this medication. I think my solution is to increase my water intake and of course continue exercise to get the blood pressure into proper range.

But I should also report some positive changes going on. And that is basically, I feel good. My wife and friends have noticed that I used to huff and puff just walking across the room but I no longer do that. I was told that I had the blockages for a while and it was not until one of them ruptured causing the heart attack. I suspect that the restricted blood flow was the cause of my heavy breathing. But for what ever reason, my breathing is no longer labored.

I am saddened, however, that my professional soccer career is probably at an end but at least my ability to play the piano has not been affected.

Ps. I could not play the piano before the heart attack and that status has not changed.

Last edited:
it's good to keep a sense of humor in all this, which you've done quite well. Carry on!:clap:
Today's one of my fasting nights and I could eat the doorknobs off the kitchen at the moment. On the other hand, I'm ready to see what 25# less will do for my back and joint pain.

My previous words may have been misinterpreted. I am discouraged but in no way am I considering giving up. Without sounding like I'm about to board Apollo 13, failure is not an option. At this point in my life, it's not just a snazzy saying, there is litterly is no other option for me. As I am about to enter my 70s, I won't have another chance. I would not survive another heart attack. I fully understand this.
OK. I was a bit worried. But seriously, don't worry about the scale. It's a lying wench who'll tear your heart out. Just keep doing what you're doing.

so far as losing weight, I've lost 20 lbs but now wear 36 trousers, I used to wear 42s. I am sure I have much more muscle mass. Saturday, I was going to wear an old pair of slacks and sports coat to a play and they were just hanging on me. I had to wear jeans instead.

Yes, I need to lose more weight but it's a slow process now.

3da96181974111d0245b2cfce755b744.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

??????

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You look pretty thin next to that longhorn. But the whole scene looks kind of psychedelic. Like a Beatles album cover. You look like you're walking through magic mushrooms.

My third Monday of my modified 5:2 fasting plan was yesterday. Couple of benefits - I reset my reference point of what it really means to be hungry. I find I'm hungrier at bedtime that I am when I wake up the next morning. It reminds me I can really do without. and, as of this morning, I'm at 220#, on the verge of cracking the teens. My plan is to fast on Mon and Thu nights. They recommend 600 cal total for the morning and noon meals combined, but I do find that's just a little too challenging me at the end of the day, so I'm closer to 900-1000 cals on my fast days.

Last edited:
My third Monday of my modified 5:2 fasting plan was yesterday. Couple of benefits - I reset my reference point of what it really means to be hungry. I find I'm hungrier at bedtime that I am when I wake up the next morning. It reminds me I can really do without. and, as of this morning, I'm at 220#, on the verge of cracking the teens. My plan is to fast on Mon and Thu nights. They recommend 600 cal total for the morning and noon meals combined, but I do find that's just a little too challenging me at the end of the day, so I'm closer to 1000 cals.

Since you are doing 5:2, I assume that third Monday would mean the fifth or sixth semi-fasting day you have completed?

During this time, do you monitor your blood pressure and if so, have you seen that the 5:2 method to have an effect on your BP?

Last edited:
Since you are doing 5:2, I assume that third Monday would mean the fifth or sixth semi-fasting day you have completed?

During this time, do you monitor your blood pressure and if so, have you seen that the 5:2 method to have an effect on your BP?

It is my fifth fast day. I haven't checked my BP recently. I will try and make a point to check it Thu am and night and Fri morn and report back.

It is my fifth fast day. I haven't checked my BP recently. I will try and make a point to check it Thu am and night and Fri morn and report back.

I don't have time right now but by this eve I will try to provide a more detailed update. I've been trying the 5:2 and yesterday my BP spiked at 189/111 and I spent the eve at the ER.

Is it because of the 5:2 diet or other causes? I'm off to see see a Cardo doc this morning and hopefully will get some answers. At this point, I'm blaming everything. I suppose I could say it's Trump's fault and get to be on TV.

Couple of benefits - I reset my reference point of what it really means to be hungry. I find I'm hungrier at bedtime that I am when I wake up the next morning. It reminds me I can really do without.

LOL. That was one of the things that hit me when I was doing it, how hungry is really hungry. We're so used to grabbing food as we walk through the kitchen, breakroom, whatever that really getting hungry is a rarity. I know I'm hungry when I'm craving peanut butter.

The other day the wife made a vegetarian lasagna. Bless her for doing that, but I kept thinking "I could eat two bowls of salad for the same calories in a cup of that cheese dish."

I don't have time right now but by this eve I will try to provide a more detailed update. I've been trying the 5:2 and yesterday my BP spiked at 189/111 and I spent the eve at the ER.

Is it because of the 5:2 diet or other causes? I'm off to see see a Cardo doc this morning and hopefully will get some answers. At this point, I'm blaming everything. I suppose I could say it's Trump's fault and get to be on TV.

Bob, when I was doing the 5:2 I was keeping track of my BP and it was always improving. But don't take my word for it, or trust that it will be the same for you. Since you just had a heart attack you may not respond in the same way as the rest of us. Take your time, keep your doctor's advice and know we're rooting for you.

I went to the physician yesterday to check on how I was handling the naproxen. So far it has done its job and now I start cutting back. My BP is fluctuating because of it. With all that said, my weight is down and my stamina to handle my trainer's routines is up. Today is Day 1 without the pills.

Keep working at it guys, it gets better.

Two quotes that are funny together:

There are two kinds of cardiologists: vegans and those who haven't read the data. ~ Dr. Kim Williams, President of the American College of Cardiology

Dr. Cooley says that most of his patients would rather go through open heart surgery twice in their lives rather than eat like that. ~ My neighbor who was one of Denton Cooley's operating room nurses.

Last edited:

Yikes, Bob!
My gut tells me my BP drops slightly throughout the evening and into the next morning. Obviously, for whatever reason, yours didn't. I would strongly urge you to check with your docs about fasting, given your recent history and considering the multiple drugs that you're probably on. Some may not interact with fasting well. My general understanding is that food/salt increase BP, but I know electrolyte balance affected by drugs and fasting can have immediate impacts on BP, both positive and negative.

Well, everyday is a learning experience.

At it turns out, a spike in blood pressure is not that uncommon soon after having heart stints implanted. Having to do with increased blood flow as a result of the stints doing what they are supposed to do and my body has not yet adjusted.

A few other factors include that my PCP should not of allowed me to go off blood pressure medicine and now that I take a blood thinner, that too may increases blood flow.

The solution now is to take blood pressure medicine, monitor BP and increase BP medicine as necessary. In time with continued improvement of my diet and exercise I should be able to start getting off such medication - but not now

To say that having a heart attack scarred the piss out of me would be an understatement. Any change in BP or any type of chest discomfort in the slightest, freaks me out causing my BP to rise even more. In other words, I need to chill.

Bob....Glad everything turned out "ok". I fought and fought my PCP to get off the BP meds. He only agreed to do it when I agreed to e-mail him BP readings 2x a day...morning and night after the gym. This went on for 3 months before he was satisfied with the overall trend. Not the same as being on blood thinner, but I can relate in a certain way.

I learned a very valuable lesson last night. I am in Savannah for the week for work. The hotel has a great gym, in fact they have the exact same model bike I ride at 24 hr in Houston. Last night I did my normal pre-workout drink then I did my normal beverage w/supplements that I have in the gym. Evidently when I loaded up the travel bottle of supplement powder I didn't mix the creatine powder with the amino acid powder very well and got a slug of creatine powder. My body doesn't really like creatine in high doses (and neither do a lot of folks). Long story short I got about 45 minutes sleep. Creatine plus caffeine in the preworkout totally screwed up my chemistry. I couldn't get to sleep and my heart couldn't decide if it wanted to race or slow down. And I could tell my BP was all over the place. Needless to say.....for the rest of this trip there will be no more creatine in my beverage. It's scary as heck to be laying in bed at 4:30 AM wondering if you should call 911 or not....then waking up 20 minutes later feeling somewhat ok.

Keep up the great work and positive attitude. I look forward to the good and the not so good posts by you. And the educational posts from everyone that is participating in this journey.

I got a ride in an ambulance several years ago because of creatine and my lack of training to use it. I found out the hard way that it takes water out of the blood and gives it the muscles. The muscles recover quicker. But dehydrated blood doesn't flow well, it's sluggish like mud. In an extreme cardio class I ran out of breath and fifteen minutes later was still trying to recover. The ambulance medic thought I was having a heart attack. The hospital emergency room did an EKG, saw nothing wrong with my heart, gave me an IV of water, a bill, and discharged me. YMMV :)

Last edited:
Back