• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Better than Google Maps

Good to read about yall's experiences with these new options. While back folks talked about revit. I tried it and it stunk. Couple years later they used it for navigation around breckinridge during the ktm rally. It worked great. Things change. I'm still stuck in the stone age using g earth, mapsource, mvum overlays, openstreets and a collection of aging gps topo maps...with an occassional brief and apprehensive dalliance into basecamp. It all still gets me where I want to go...eventually. If I was riding pavement there are way better options than this convoluted digital haystack.

Can you take GPX files you have, and import them back into Tyre to make modifications?

To open GPX files, change the File Type (lower right of the window that opens when you click File/Open) to GPX. Once it's loaded in Tyre, there's an ICON to reduce the number of Waypoints (if, like me, your route had millions of them). The ICON is in a short vertical list in the route box, third from the top - looks like a yellow box in a clamp.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 120
Rever is a good choice for those who use their phones as GPS.

Dang if I know what's wrong but I get nuttin.
Used my older Map API key and even made a new one.
Trial account, free $300 credit, payment - everything I can think of.
Ideas?

Dang if I know what's wrong but I get nuttin.
Used my older Map API key and even made a new one.
Trial account, free $300 credit, payment - everything I can think of.
Ideas?

You get nuttin with what?

Anyone use the Garmin Birdseye service for in-the-field use? Maybe I'm not understanding the nuances of this feature. Is it not the ability to basically use a type of Google Sat View on your GPS device out in the field? From using Google Sat View at home on my desktop for planning and post ride review...and looking for remote camping locations...it would seem extremely useful. I like Google Sat View, but I am a little concerned about the screen size view I'd get from the device. I don't think I ever see any mention of this option which makes me think something is wrong with it or I have a misconception of how it works.

You talkin' about Tyre? Tyre is free, does not require any API key or deposit.
It came up and asked - nay REQUIRED - me to get a Google Map API key.
It even has links and a quick tutorial to explain how.
You may have selected the Open Street maps which have far less functionality than Google Maps.

You may have selected the Open Street maps which have far less functionality than Google Maps.

I use Wikimedia - works about the same as Google Maps and requires nothing.

The first time I opened up Tyre with my Google Maps API, I had the same thing, just a blank screen, no map.
The next day I got back on and opened it up and google maps was there. Did not do anything different, don't know if it took a bit for the API to process (I also had an old API key, not sure if I got a new one or not, I followed the Tyre instructions to get it).

The first time I opened up Tyre with my Google Maps API, I had the same thing, just a blank screen, no map.
The next day I got back on and opened it up and google maps was there. Did not do anything different, don't know if it took a bit for the API to process (I also had an old API key, not sure if I got a new one or not, I followed the Tyre instructions to get it).
I tried that. Opened it after I read your message and *poof*! There it was.
Odd fer sure. Thanks!

I'm pretty much on GAIA anymore with Google Maps with offline maps for pavement use. I can follow a custom route I build on GAIA but it won't give me turn by turn directions.

Gaia will give turn by turn but internet needed, so a tether there. After loading a map and saving, upon selecting for map to review you can look under "more" and choose "guide me". GAIA has maybe 30 different overlays from MVUM (USFS) , SAT NATGEO, to Snowfall, precipitation forecast, __Cell phone coverage (wow) for your specific carrier to private land. not bad to have in your pocket for about $27 /yr. Quiet a number of TARA and Mextrek riders are going this way. KISS
BTW SCENIC has a totally new product update but I'm hooked on GAIA for now.
Cheers

I use a mixture of Google and Rever for the big picture. Then I use Rever or Basecamp to build the GPX files. Over the last year Rever has added some fantastic 3D Satilite features that let you get a much better feel for the terrain than any other tool I have ever run into. Below is a screen grab of Black Bear Pass in Telluride. You can zoom in out up down, its really pretty cool.

You can do a lot of routing in Rever, but I typically use BaseCamp with the 24k topo maps.

I load the gpx files into a TrailTech gps that is on the 501 and 1090.

Rever_BlackGap.jpg

Back