• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Black Hills Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR-X) on my KTM

The BDRs were originally set up for "adventufre bikes" and not smaller "enduro" bikes and that premise still
holds true for the BDR-X routes. I've ridden portions of 6 or 7 BDRs and none so far have included "hero" sections
(which is fine); They were/are created to allow for an average rider to experience the back road and remote areas
of this country without have to worry about getting stuck.

Having said that, an average off-road rider should be able to ride the BDR on anything from a CRF250 to a KTM1290.

I went from an Africa Twin -> CRF300 -> Ktm390 ADV. The latter, for me is the perfect bike, lightweight, good power
and great suspension. By thid time next week, I should have completed the SD-BDRx so I can report back with my
experience - I expect I shall be delighted....

How's the weather? I thought I saw the area received some rain over the last few days. Should be much nicer temperature-wise.

Been raining - 3 days ago the area reveived a downpour of several inches; Today it started raing
at 6AM and still raining BUT the temps are perfect. Hiding out in the camper at the moment but
I think the rain will stop after lunch.
The rest of the week looks okay.

Been raining - 3 days ago the area reveived a downpour of several inches; Today it started raing
at 6AM and still raining BUT the temps are perfect. Hiding out in the camper at the moment but
I think the rain will stop after lunch.
The rest of the week looks okay.
Yeah, once the rain breaks, you will be in for a treat!

yeah you're right.... I went out yesterday and some of the trails were still damp/wet. The surface
had turned to "GOO" and slipppery like grease. I met a guy from the Forest Sevice who told
me not to continnue as it gets worse. I marked his words and bypassed a section.

This was west of the Badland and not officially on the BDRx

yeah you're right.... I went out yesterday and some of the trails were still damp/wet. The surface
had turned to "GOO" and slipppery like grease. I met a guy from the Forest Sevice who told
me not to continnue as it gets worse. I marked his words and bypassed a section.

This was west of the Badland and not officially on the BDRx
You did the right thing. The guy who helped build the route said if it's been raining, he wouldn't recommend riding in some areas. We crossed a few wet spots, and it hadn't really rained in a while, so I can only imagine what it looks like now. He also mentioned watching out for ATV/UTV. I know I saw plenty while I was riding the route. Even on pavement, the area is a blast, though.

You did the right thing. The guy who helped build the route said if it's been raining, he wouldn't recommend riding in some areas. We crossed a few wet spots, and it hadn't really rained in a while, so I can only imagine what it looks like now. He also mentioned watching out for ATV/UTV. I know I saw plenty while I was riding the route. Even on pavement, the area is a blast, though.

You mentioned riding in some other places on your trip. Just curious, where else did you stop to ride? Thanks!

You mentioned riding in some other places on your trip. Just curious, where else did you stop to ride? Thanks!
Hey Rich,

We started out riding in New Mexico. Riding a section of the BDR, and then shooting up to Lake City, CO, to ride the Alpine loop. Afterward, we stopped in Jackson, WY, to check out the Grand Teton National Park and rode in Yellowstone National Park. We were going to do some of the WY BDR, but once we looked at the number of miles the BDRx was (350), we knew we wouldn't have time for both the WY BDR and the South Dakota BDRx, so we just decided to head over to the Black Hills and knock it out.

Thanks for asking, Rich. It really was a fun time. We even ran out of gas in New Mexico, and thankfully some workers were in the area and drove me over 45 minutes away one way for fuel, lol. They were from Mexico and were nice guys, so thankfully, it worked out in the end, but I'm just glad I was able to coast down the mountain instead of having to push the bike. The KTM is light, but that would have been a chore.

Hey Rich,

We started out riding in New Mexico. Riding a section of the BDR, and then shooting up to Lake City, CO, to ride the Alpine loop. Afterward, we stopped in Jackson, WY, to check out the Grand Teton National Park and rode in Yellowstone National Park. We were going to do some of the WY BDR, but once we looked at the number of miles the BDRx was (350), we knew we wouldn't have time for both the WY BDR and the South Dakota BDRx, so we just decided to head over to the Black Hills and knock it out.

Thanks for asking, Rich. It really was a fun time. We even ran out of gas in New Mexico, and thankfully some workers were in the area and drove me over 45 minutes away one way for fuel, lol. They were from Mexico and were nice guys, so thankfully, it worked out in the end, but I'm just glad I was able to coast down the mountain instead of having to push the bike. The KTM is light, but that would have been a chore.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like it was a phenomenal trip.

Makes me want to ride my GSA on this stuff even. I'm still skeered of buffalo as I raise longhorns.

Makes me want to ride my GSA on this stuff even. I'm still skeered of buffalo as I raise longhorns
Oh yeah, bring out the GSA. I felt like I could ride my GSA on the route as long as it hadn't recently rained. Get out and ride it if you can. Very scenic!

We were going to ride it last week when we were there. It actually stars about 3 miles from my campground. But it was raining and I did not feel like muddy pig wrestling. I will hit it next year.

Spent the last 5 days in the Black Hills riding the bottom half of the BDRx and other trails/roads.
I was based out of Custer State Park; My word, you folks have some pretty spectacular scenery and roads.

I followed the BDRx route but if I saw an interesteing trail then I would follow that and double back
or find my way back on the BDRx route. Some really great roads - quite a lot of black top but it
was really top notch and it's the only way to get to the attractions (like Rushmore);

I happen to be here during "Sturgis" week - so lots and lots of Harleys on the roads, but none on
the gravel roads - saw 4 other "adv" riders also tacking the BDRx.

I going to tackle the northern half of the BDRx tomorrow as it has been raining since Sat evening.

For those who are wondering, I have not come across any tough sections - all so far can be done
on a big bike with no problems.

We were going to ride it last week when we were there. It actually stars about 3 miles from my campground. But it was raining and I did not feel like muddy pig wrestling. I will hit it next year.
You will enjoy it once you get on that way. The Black Hills aren't going anywhere.

Spent the last 5 days in the Black Hills riding the bottom half of the BDRx and other trails/roads.
I was based out of Custer State Park; My word, you folks have some pretty spectacular scenery and roads.

I followed the BDRx route but if I saw an interesteing trail then I would follow that and double back
or find my way back on the BDRx route. Some really great roads - quite a lot of black top but it
was really top notch and it's the only way to get to the attractions (like Rushmore);

I happen to be here during "Sturgis" week - so lots and lots of Harleys on the roads, but none on
the gravel roads - saw 4 other "adv" riders also tacking the BDRx.

I going to tackle the northern half of the BDRx tomorrow as it has been raining since Sat evening.

For those who are wondering, I have not come across any tough sections - all so far can be done
on a big bike with no problems.
Don't forget the local guide built a 600-mile route for the area, and they asked him to size it down, so if you have more time, you may wanna look into it.

The entire route is big bike friendly for sure. I felt this way after riding through Custer State Park and riding the eastern side. That's when it hit me that the route was built to show what this area has to offer when it comes to Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, scenery and wildlife. Watching the official BDR video shows the same thing.

I would pay close attention to the weather and avoid certain sections if it received large amounts of rain, but other than that you are good to go!

My buddy and I both felt like the western side of the route had the most dirt back to back and the eastern side had the most pavement and accommodations. Finding fuel was never a problem also.

1692018960288.png

Yesterday I finished the north section of the SD-BDRx - PERFECT weather, cool and no rain.
The folks who put on this ride deserve a very big pat on the back. The west and east sections
are totally different.

The east is a lot of black top going through some specatacular curvy roads and the usual touristy stuff
(not bad at all); The western/northern part is very remote and mostly gravel roads - reminds of alpine riding in Colorado.

Lead, Deadwood, Custer and Hill City are worth a stop.

All is rideable by a big bike except for one section which I checkened out - I'm riding solo, so discretion took over.
I managed to by-pass and double back with no problems.

There is one loop section coming of Deadwood which was REALLY nice.

Off to Wyoming to ride the WY-BDR and CDT.

Yesterday I finished the north section of the SD-BDRx - PERFECT weather, cool and no rain.
The folks who put on this ride deserve a very big pat on the back. The west and east sections
are totally different.

The east is a lot of black top going through some specatacular curvy roads and the usual touristy stuff
(not bad at all); The western/northern part is very remote and mostly gravel roads - reminds of alpine riding in Colorado.

Lead, Deadwood, Custer and Hill City are worth a stop.

All is rideable by a big bike except for one section which I checkened out - I'm riding solo, so discretion took over.
I managed to by-pass and double back with no problems.

There is one loop section coming of Deadwood which was REALLY nice.

Off to Wyoming to ride the WY-BDR and CDT.
Glad to hear you had a great time! Enjoy Wyoming!

Oooh, just watched this one. I follow this guy obviously because of his bike, but here's a big bike take on the Black Hills BDR-X. He just posted this, it's section 1 only.

DUDE! Good find! Such a pretty area to ride. The bike sounds mean too!

I'd like to know what gloves those are he's using; the touchscreen funtion seems to work great!

Oooh, just watched this one. I follow this guy obviously because of his bike, but here's a big bike take on the Black Hills BDR-X. He just posted this, it's section 1 only.

Thanks, really enjoyed that video. Wondering if suitable bikes can be rented in Sturgis. Just too far to haul a d/s and no way I want to ride that far.

Back