• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Blupupher's 2024 Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Just making a little thread to post up my Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas pics.

Today made my first few stops.
Left around noon today with a plan of getting the San Jacinto Monument and Liberty County Courthouse (Stops Alt 2 and #12).
I had to run downtown to grab a cable for my PDM60 (a power relay box for my K1600) so I can reprogram it. Then rode over to the Monument.
Alt 2. San Jac Monumnt.jpg

Then took the Lynchburg Ferry across and went up to Liberty County and took a pic of the courthouse.

12. Liberty Courthouse.jpg

It was only about 2:00 and decided to run over to Beaumont and Port Arthur to get the Giant Propeller (#48) and Golden Triangle Veterans Museum (#16).

48. Giant Propeller.jpg

16. Golden Triagle Vet.jpg

I debated running over to Bolivar to get the Fort Travis sign but I would have gotten home after 7, and I had my dark tinted visor and mesh jacket. It was overcast and getting cool at 4:00, so just decided to head home.
I had also debated getting the Red Roof Inn on I-10 near Hwy 6, but it was around 5:30 pm and traffic sucked, so will get it later (or at another one during my rides).
4 down, 46 to go.

Google Maps Link
Capture.JPG

It was about 6 hours total with stops and traffic and just under 300 miles.

Plan on running down to Freeport then over to Bolivar on Thursday or Friday.
I also plan on making it up to the Meet and Greet at Texas Sidecar on March 30. I am hoping Lone Star Rider will be there so I can grab his pic while there.

Made a day trip to get a few stops.

Ran down to Freeport to get the Freeport Historic Museum (stop # 22).
22. Freeport Museum.jpg

Then ran over to Bolivar to get stop # 29 (Fort Travis).
29. Ft. Travis.jpg

I was going to get the Red Roof Inn in Freeport, drove around 5 minutes trying to find it, only to find it is now a different Hotel. No biggie, I will get the one in Galveston, I got it there last year. Get to the Island, and my Garmin is bringing me to the wrong place (about 2 blocks from where it was, I just could not remember off hand where it was). So I pull it up on my phone, and like I said, I was only off by a few blocks. So head over there, and it is no longer a Red Roof either (even though it is on their website?). Will get it at some point.
On the way back from the Fort, I was at the front of the ferry.
IMG_9702.jpg

I also stopped by Pier 21 to grab a pic of the Texas in the water again.
IMG_9709.jpg

Google Maps Link

Capture.JPG

220 miles, but almost 6.5 hours on the bike. My butt is sore, even with an extra gel pad. Need to figure out what to do about that.

Nice. Good to see Texas back in the water. The extra little stops are what makes the MGTT special.

Turned out to be a beautiful day today. Weather was supposed to be partly cloudy and cool, but was sunny and almost prefect temps.

Got 4 stops today.

Ran up to Classic Rock Cafe (stop #27) in Navasota:
2. Classic Rock Cafe.jpg

Then up to College station to get Kyle Field (#46), but came across a Red Roof Inn (#25) in College Station on the way there, so grabbed that first:
25. Red Roof Inn.jpg

Then Kyle Field:
46. Kyle Field.jpg

Then over to La Grange to get the Train Depot (#15):
15. La Grange Station.jpg

There were about 4 bike around the Classic Rock Cafe in Navasota, and one of them (a trike) may have been doing the tour, but one was for sure doing it (riding a BMW GS), not sure if a member here or not.
I passed him up between Navasota and College Station, and again heading to Kyle Field (the Red Roof Inn is before Kyle Field). He went up to another entrance at Kyle Field.

Today was about 4 hours, 240 miles.
Google Maps Link
Capture.JPG

I think I will only have 1 more day ride (March 30 for the Meet and Greet at Texas Sidecar, will grab Teague and Rusk that day as well), the rest will be at least overnight rides.
I am still debating trying an Iron Butt Bun Burner, doing an out to Marfa (stop 33) via Route 90, and back on 10 (stopping in Sanora for #36) but don't think I can handle that mileage on the K1600. I have done some 500 mile days, and was pretty much done at that point.

Last edited:
Was it a woman on the trike? Might be the same lady I ran into. She said last year she had from when she got her flag till June to finish it before her surgery and managed to get them all. Seems like she might be on a mission again this year.

Was it a woman on the trike? Might be the same lady I ran into. She said last year she had from when she got her flag till June to finish it before her surgery and managed to get them all. Seems like she might be on a mission again this year.
Not sure, I was making a u-turn when I saw the bike, and the person was behind the trike with a helmet on.
Just a quick glance, saw it was a dark red or maroon trike, not even sure what make it was.

Grabbed some more today, great day for riding.

Started out by heading to Rusk for the KAO pic. Was planning on leaving at 7, but woke up around 5, and so ended up leaving around 6.
43. Rusk KOA.jpg

Was planning to head to Teague next, but was still way early, so decided to run up to New London and grab that one.
Alt. 3. New London.jpg

I don't think it will really shorten the day when I get the others out that way, but what the heck, pretty day with nothing else to do...

From there went over to Teague and got the Hotel:
3. Teague Hotel.jpg

Then a quick ride down to Donie to get Texas Sidecar and Lone Star rider:
4. Texas Sidecar.jpg

50. Lone Star Rider.jpg

I had stopped in Donie for the meet and greet, they were just starting lunch, so grabbed a BBQ sandwich and chips and drink and took about an hour break. They had a few neat bikes with side cars there.
If I ever get stupid money, a bike with a sidecar would be something neat to have.

Total riding time was just under 8 hours, ~480 miles.

Google maps link
3-30.JPG

I ran down back via Iola and took a run down 3090 as well. Fun day overall.
Gets me up to 15 stops total, only 35 more to go.
~1,250 miles so far, and almost 3x that left.

I also got to try out my new Sargent seat. The stock low seat on my K1600 just sucked. My butt was on fire after about 3 hours, and had to get off after 4 to take a break.
This seat is better, but still not perfect. Part of it I think is just the ergo of the K, my legs are a little to bent and back, putting all my fatness on my rear (that has little padding) and even with highway pegs, I am getting pains in my knees and hips. I do find that if I stand up for even just 1 minute, it seems to fix it for 20-30 minutes before it starts to come back. Again, better overall than stock, but not something I think I can do an Iron Butt on.

Last edited:
Using the Morethan10 website I was able to make a complete map of what I have done so far:

LINK

Capture.JPG

It is not 100% correct, it routed me up 249 and I have not been on that. But for the most part it is good.

I was starting to do my routing for my long trip in a few weeks, and found that me taking the extra hour and 20 minutes/70 miles yesterday to go to New London saves me 15 miles and maybe 20 minutes on my upcoming trip. :roll::mad:
I guess it just did not dawn on me how close New London was to Gladewater.

I went to the meet and greet yesterday aan to the Teague Hotel. Two tanks of gas in the Vstrom tells me we didn't do a direct route from Bryan. I just followed.

Screenshot_20240330-174330.png

IMG_20240330_132207880.jpg

IMG_20240330_132049482.jpg

IMG_20240330_104209817.jpg

Pee pee dog rode in on the tank of mommy's bike. He looks good in designer goggles
IMG_20240330_102126148.jpg

Mamma's bike and tank pillow.
IMG_20240330_102134178.jpg

Lots of sidecars being built.
IMG_20240330_104507314_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240330_104237526_HDR.jpg

Ray and our 9 bikes as well as some more.
IMG_20240330_103246910.jpg

View attachment 377558
I had stopped in Donie for the meet and greet, they were just starting lunch, so grabbed a BBQ sandwich and chips and drink and took about an hour break. They had a few neat bikes with side cars there.

That's AllByteNoBark and me on the left side of that pic, John with his Beemer and me riding the Feejer Saturday. We skipped the free lunch and rode (separately) up to Teague.

Today was going to be an overnight trip the Hill Country and down toward the south a little to get 6 more stops.

Left at 6 am and headed to Sisterdale via San Marcos to get the Historical marker.
20. Sisterdale.jpg

A few fun roads up that way, but it was misting and the roads were slick, so had to take it a little slower than I wanted to (I HATE wet roads).
Just FYI, if you are using my .gpx file, it tells you the stop is on the wrong side of the road. Right location, just opposite of where I pinned it.

Headed over to Bandera to get the Flying L Ranch:
10. Flying L Ranch.jpg

Still overcast and an occasional misting.

Than ran up to Medina to take 337 over to Leaky for the Bent Rim Grill:
23. Bent Rim Grill.jpg

Sun started coming out just after Vanderpool, so that was fun.

My plan was to run down to Hondo via Utopia/Tarply then figure out where to stay, but I got to Medina and it was not even 1 yet, so figured I would keep riding till 3 and find a place to stay. Kept getting some misting from Leaky to past Hondo.

Headed to Floresville to get the Wilson County Courthouse:
21. Wilson County.jpg

I thought it was a very pretty courthouse.

But it is still only 2:15, so I guess I will head to Beeville to get the Bee County Courthouse:
42. Bee County.jpg

Really is no good place to get a pic IMO, and the name is not on the courthouse.

So it is now around 3:00, so can start looking for a place to spend the night.
But it is less than 1.5 hours to Port Lavaca, so lets head there for the Lighthouse:
34. Half Moon Lighthouse.jpg

Well, crap, it is just after 4, and I am 2 hours from home with a full tank of gas.
No point in spending money for a hotel when I can just suck it up and ride home.

So I did.

684 miles per my GPS, and almost exactly 12 hours from when I left till I got home.
21 stops down, 29 more to go, and should get them all done next week.

Google Maps link

1713312705444.png

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 6
So started my multiday trip today to finish the stops.
Got going about 6:45 this morning and made my way to San Augustine to get the Deck House.
11. Deck House.JPG

Headed to the Texas International border, but to get to it, had to cross into Louisiana, so grabbed the Welcome to Texas sign.
14. Welcome to Texas.JPG

And then got the alternative stop 5 of the Texas International Marker:
Alt 5. Texas Border Marker.JPG

Went up to Gladewater to get the 2 there, Oil Derrick and Museum:
17. Gladewater Oil Derrick.JPG

18. Gladewater Museum.JPG

Jumped over to Grand Saline to get the Salt Museum:
7. Salt Palice Museum.JPG

The did the dreaded drive into DFW to get the 3 motorcycle shop sponsers in Plano, Addison and Lewisville:
2. Motorcycle Gear.JPG

6. Moto Liberty.JPG

I think the construction around here is worse than ever. Seems like it is going backwards.

37. Riders Biker Supply.JPG

Just curious, has DFW just gone all tolls everywhere?
I did not want to take them, but it was almost 2 hours difference in time not using tolls. Worth the $15 or it cost me.

My goal was to get outside DFW today, I did not want to be near there in the morning, so my plan was to head towards Mineral Wells and decide where to stop.
So I get to Mineral Wells and grab the tag;
31.Ft Wolters Historical Park.JPG

There was another rider there getting his tag as well.

So I was feeling good, so figured I would start heading to the next stop, which was the Royal Theater in Archer Texas.
5. The Royal Theater.JPG

I was going to find a place to stay there, but there is really nothing in that area. so figured I would start heading to Childress and stop somewhere on the way there. Well, ended up going all the way to Childress and grabbing the Museum there.
38. Childress County Heritage Museum.JPG

Checked into the same hotel as last year that I was here (a Super 8) that was decent last time.

Ended up being 753 miles per the GPS. just under 13 hours saddle time.
12 more stops done, so 33 done, 17 left.

Google Map Links

Capture.JPG

Wow you are starting to really get into the long distance stuff. You'll be a regulation IBA guy in no time.

I am at 5 stops, all pretty much the local. Getting old sucks...

Day 2 is done. Did not wake up till 8 am today. I guess I was tired.
Went and ate breakfast at the hotel and got on the road at about 9 am.
Headed from Childress up to Wheeler to get the courthouse:
47. Wheeler Co. Courthouse.JPG

Then headed up to Canadian to get the Pioneer museum:
9. Pioneer Museum.JPG

Left there for the fun trip to Borger. Man I forgot how windy the panhandle is. I had about 70 miles of leaning to the right with the wind blowing a solid 30+ MPH with stronger gusts.
35. Antelope Creek Leather.JPG

From there headed to Vega to get Milburn Price Museum, had a lot more wind once I hit I-40. I think I am going to wear out the right side of my tires prematurely.
41. Milburn-Price Museum.JPG

Headed south towards Lubbock for the Silent Wings Museum with the wind at my back, and that was nice, except when the big rigs came at me, the gust of wind was massive from them on the 2 lane road.
1. Silent Wings Museum.JPG

About 30 minutes from Lubbock, I started thinking that I am about done for the day. I would get to Lubbock about 3 so it would be check in time for a hotel. I had stopped at a rest area about 20 miles out and walked around for about 30 minutes and finished my extra waffle I made at the hotel, and after that I felt a lot better, decided to head to Seagraves to the Hotel Texan.

45. Hotel TexasMain Street Pizza.JPG

I debated staying there, but the price made me say no, I am too cheap. Midland was 1.5 hours away, and I did not want to go that far.
I started heading that way, and when I got to Andrews, I decided to stop for the night.

518 miles, about 8.5 hours. 6 more stops done. 39 down, 11 left.

Google map link
Capture.JPG

Sitting down now to figure out the next 2 days of stops. Looks like about 6 hours each day will get me done.

Wow you are starting to really get into the long distance stuff. You'll be a regulation IBA guy in no time.

I am at 5 stops, all pretty much the local. Getting old sucks...
Yeah, if I had been keeping receipts, I could have done my initial Bun Burner if I had kept going to Vega.

I still plan on doing my bun burner with a there and back trip to Alpine via Del Rio (Alt 90 along the border) there, then up to Ft Stockton and back on I-10.
My rear is still a little sore on long trips, the Sargent seat helped a lot, but my knees and hips are very sore, and my shoulders are tight from me putting too much weight on my arms.
My weight is also a part of the problem. I am working on that.

So day 3 is done. Woke up around 6:30 and puttered around, went and ate breakfast, and finally got on the road around 7:45.
It was a bit cool (around 64°F, but a bit muggy, sun just coming up. Trying to decide if I should do my leather jacket with liner or mesh jacket.
Mesh jacket won (was unpacked already). Was a touch cool as I headed out to Midland, but not too bad.

Got to the Vietnam Memorial there, it was quite a nice memorial.
19. Permian Basin Vietnam Veterans Memorial.JPG

I think the sunrise pic is nice.
Can't really see, but there is an eternal flame going, and being in Midland, I don't think it will ever run out of gas.

Got going to to Big Spring, and traffic in Midland was pretty bad. Took me about 15 minutes to get to I-20, should have been less than 7.
Then when I got onto 20, about 4 miles down the road, it was down to 1 lane, about a 40 minute delay.
So finally get to Big Springs to the Quanah Arrow (and my .gps pin was right on spot, pretty good guess if I do say so myself):
8. Quanah Parker Arrow.JPG

Head up to Snyder for the Triangular Sinclair station, and another road issue, it was a 1 lane section with the red light to control it, and I saw it turn red. It was another 10 or so minute delay.

49. Triangular Sinclair Gas Station.JPG

Neat little station, not sure who owns it or maintains it.
Head over to Buffalo Gap to get the Old Taylor County Courthouse, and when I get there, there are like 5 school busses and 15 or so cars, was not sure if I would be able to get it, but snuck in front of a bus on the grass and got it (must have just missed the rain, everything was very wet):
32. Old Taylor County Courthouse.JPG

When leaving there, the way I was going to go (CR51) turned out to be under construction and was now a dirt road, and they were long delays per the flag guy, so turned around and went back the way I came.

Coleman Chamber of Commerce was next, I think this is the 3rd time I have been here?
44.Coleman Co. Chamber of Commerce.JPG

Then over to Early for their visitors center. A really nice place, not sure really what it is for. Looks like a community type meeting place.
Has a bathroom, so that was nice.
39. Early Visitors Center.JPG

Then to Goldthwaite for the Mural:
26. Mural of Davy Crockett.JPG

And then to the Center of Texas:
Alt 1. Geographic Center of Texas.JPG

The road from Goldthwaite to the Marker (FM 574) is quite a fun little road. It also had another one lane road with the light, but this one was maybe 3 minutes, but as I was 1/2 way through, a car was coming at me. He pulled over, but still.

Only435 miles today, about 7.5 hours total.
This gets me to 47 stops, with 3 left tomorrow.

Google Map Links
Capture.JPG

I had debated running to Menard and Mason this evening, but it would be 1.5 hours to do the loop, but only saves me 45 minutes on my trip home, so I am just going to rest the remainder of the day.

Weather today was much better. Started out low 60's, and it was in the mid 70's for most of the trip, up to 82° by the time I got to Brady, but it was cloudy most of the day, so not too warm at all.

You are really cranking them out! I have been to busy with work to do any riding. Not complaining but looking forward to getting out on the bike hopefully soon. I did ride over to BryanL's in Sugarland last Saturday to get a service done in prep for an Arkansas ride the end of May. Not sure that counts though, all slab, not my favorite. The Arkansas ride I am looking forward to even though the riding there will be a bit slower than I like due to riding with a friend who is pretty laid back. Be a nice change of pace though.

And done!

Got the 3 last stops today.

Got out the door around 7:45 again today, very gloomy sky, and a little misting, temp around 68°.

First stop was Menard for the Presidio de San Saba:
13. Presido De San Saba.JPG

Grabbed the Mason County Courthouse, looks like they are almost done (a lot better than when I was there 2 years ago).
24. Mason County Courthouse.JPG

and for the final stop, Hill Country Motorhead Museum:
40. Motorheads Museum.JPG

Today was only 325 miles, right at 5 hours.

Google Maps Link
Capture.JPG

Totaled it up and it was 9 days of travel (with 2 of them 12+ hour rides) and just under 4,000 miles traveled.

Looked at last years total, and it was also 9 days of travel, and just over 4,100 miles (but that included a side trip of 200 miles from Alpine to Terlingua, Presidio and up to Marfa.

So more miles traveled this year, and if I had done Marfa again, it would have been a lot more miles.

Back