• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW Motorcycles of Austin (A.K.A. Ride Now Austin) will NOT work on BMWs that are older than ten years!

I just spoke with the very personable BMW service writer at BMW Motorcycles of Austin (A.K.A. Ride Now Austin). He stated unequivocally that the shop's policy is to not, as in never, work on BMWs that are older than ten years. He said it is a "hard no" policy from the owner. Disgruntled customers have apparently appealed to BMW of NA who declined to advocate on the customer's behalf.

Hence, owners of "adolescent" BMWs in and around Austin are forced to find independent alternatives.
I read about the same sort of thing in Daytona during bike week. A HD rider wanted the oil changed and the dealer turned him away. As you said it was too old.
A day will come when those dealers will want those customers back and they will say no.

OUTRAGEOUS! UNBELIEVABLE!
You expect this from a Chinese knockoff of an old Honda, but not respectable manufacturers and especially BMW!
I'm losing faith in this world.

This decision (and that corporate BMW doesn't care to intervene) sure makes it seem that BMW doesn't have faith in the reliability of their earlier bikes. Personally, I've never done service on any vehicle (other than warranty repair) at a dealer. But, in a few years, if there's a 10 year old Africa Twin next to a 10 year old GS - you BET this would affect my buying decision.

There are actually a number of dealers of all makes with that policy. In years gone by and bikes were cheaper, it was way too easy to get into a repair for more than the bike was worth. I think a lot of dealers got burned by folks not picking up their bikes. Also, bikes tend to sit and when you first start with them you don't always know what issues you ill find compounding the above problem.
I definitely don't defend the practice and with today's higher priced and more technological bikes, I'd expect for the policy to be at least stretched, but I understand the reasoning. It is also a reason that I will rarely do business with a dealer. I see them as being in business for the quick buck. I tend to buy used and keep them for the long haul and tend to do my own maintenance.

Guessing it's hard to find a real mechanic, easier to train a technician. I had a friend that rebuilt antique cars. To keep from getting burned, he would require a certain amount to be paid upfront and additional payments to be made as the work progressed. He logged all the work done. If someone faid to make the payment , he shoved the car outside. He was never into a car for more than it was worth.

Last edited:
I can understand that they don't want to work on ratty old bikes, but that usually isn't the case with BMWs. Most owners take very good care of them. I have been riding BMW GSs for 28 years and Lone Star in Austin would work on my older bikes because they were in very good shape. I think the dealers should take the bike's condition into consideration, not just the age. Ten years isn't old for any bike that has been taken care of.

Now that Lone Star is gone, and I live in Houston, I don't know what I will do for service when one of my bikes turns ten years old next year. I have never used an independent shop for service, but I guess it is time to find one here.
Lone Star was a passing. I have never experienced ANY dealership with the level of customer care they provided. I truly miss them! I hope Robert and Peter and the gang are doing well!

I just spoke with the very personable BMW service writer at BMW Motorcycles of Austin (A.K.A. Ride Now Austin). He stated unequivocally that the shop's policy is to not, as in never, work on BMWs that are older than ten years. He said it is a "hard no" policy from the owner. Disgruntled customers have apparently appealed to BMW of NA who declined to advocate on the customer's behalf.

Hence, owners of "adolescent" BMWs in and around Austin are forced to find independent alternatives.
Hard to hire technicians who can do more than component replacement. Working successfully on bikes that don't TELL you what's wrong and require more than component replacement. That just doesn't make sense from either a monetary POV or legal POV.

If they're not going to support their bikes, maybe they'll start making bikes that enable independent service (don't require special tools, publish all service info).

It is does seem motorcycles are becoming “antiques” sooner these days. Motorcycles, still being essentially toys in the states, aren’t plentiful enough or ridden enough to support a robust maintenance infrastructure; it’s like having a rare disease-not worth the effort to combat.

Unlike automotive‘s fairly quick adoption of digital, microprocessor-control and troubleshooting, the motorcycle industry’s long crossover from analogue to digital-control seems to have left a big hole in their diagnostic world.

We are fortunate here in Cincinnati to have several shops that specialize in older (pre 2010) motorcycles. Cincinnati was the machine tool capital of the world for many decades. You can’t open a car door without hitting a German with a mic in his hand. There are many bright and clever gear heads here: kind of a cross between rocket scientists and carnival workers.

I taught turbine engine maintenance for 30-years including digital-analog control system troubleshooting. This was in the era of crossover for jet engines. My 2003 and 2004 BMWs (259 and K-engines) fall into that diagnostic-hole: micro switches (analog) signaling black boxes (digital) to do something. Generally speaking the black boxes work but are blamed for failures of mechanical devices because the black box is just that; unknowable and therefore must be the culprit.

So all my fellow twtexer’s if your ”old” BMW is shunned by your local shop, drop me a line here. I may be able to help you sort it out or find some bike-carni that can.

I tried to get them to work on my '95 Polaris ATV, same thing. They recommended a independent shop who ripped me off.

I can understand that they don't want to work on ratty old bikes, but that usually isn't the case with BMWs. Most owners take very good care of them. I have been riding BMW GSs for 28 years and Lone Star in Austin would work on my older bikes because they were in very good shape. I think the dealers should take the bike's condition into consideration, not just the age. Ten years isn't old for any bike that has been taken care of.

Now that Lone Star is gone, and I live in Houston, I don't know what I will do for service when one of my bikes turns ten years old next year. I have never used an independent shop for service, but I guess it is time to find one here.
Motorcycles Unlimited is a good place to get your bike worked on. https://motorcycles-unlimited.com/

BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas in Plano has a great service department and does not follow the 10-year rule that many other dealers are doing. I was there this morning and the only hard exceptions are the BMW K1200LT and the Triumph 955i. They are both known for some serious issues.

This decision (and that corporate BMW doesn't care to intervene) sure makes it seem that BMW doesn't have faith in the reliability of their earlier bikes. Personally, I've never done service on any vehicle (other than warranty repair) at a dealer. But, in a few years, if there's a 10 year old Africa Twin next to a 10 year old GS - you BET this would affect my buying decision.
I also do all my own service and minor repairs on the 74 bikes I've owned. Older BMW reliability is second to none. But all bikes are mechanical devices and can have issues. Try an Italian bike sometime; I did, and smartly sold it a month before the warranty was up. The problem is dealers simply cannot be sure they will have the necessary parts available and then will be cluttering their shop with torn apart bikes. I personally saw this phenomenon at Ride Now Austin 2 weeks ago on a little shop tour. Why a dealer would not do general annual servicing on 10 YO bikes seems harder to answer. There are a couple independent BMW shops that are supposedly good around Austin though I've never been to any of them. But, I'll also service older BMWs for folks if they need support.

Oh I would much rather deal with a K1200LT than an R1200CL!!!!
Lone Star was a passing. I have never experienced ANY dealership with the level of customer care they provided. I truly miss them! I hope Robert and Peter and the gang are doing well!
Don't know about Peter , but Robert is doing fine, volunteering at BB park, managing their recycling efforts. Says he's doing more 4x4 offroad these days than 2 wheels.

Oh I would much rather deal with a K1200LT than an R1200CL!!!!
There are some brake issues on the older LTs that are very expensive to repair. Riders would bring them in, get an estimate, and then post all over social media that the dealership screws the riders. They found it was better to avoid that confrontation and bad comments. I have seen this happen myself and understand the feeling of the shop.

As an independent auto garage owner, not for any bikes but my own, I understand your frustration but also understand their reasoning completely. Many good points have already been made here and they are just as valid in the automotive world. I refuse to work on anything older than 25 years old with very few exceptions. If I do make an exception it has to be bone stock in very good condition and something with parts that are readily available, like a pick-up truck, that we have been maintaining well for years. Even then at least half the time it costs me more than I make, and I regret it. I don't like having to spend half a day driving around Houston looking for something in a junk yard.
Oh but all the parts are available! Every three steps something else breaks, strips, is found worn out of specs. You have to stop, see what the parts available are, make an estimate, call the customer and listen to them for another 10-20 minutes discussing if the vehicle is worth it, how much it cost 20 years ago, how much higher will it go? bla-bla-bla.

So, now I tell them leave me at least twice what I think it would cost 20 years ago, and if there's any money left over, I'll refund them. That way I can just get it done ASAP. Those that want their stuff fixed and can afford it are happy, the ones that will cost me money and then complain online (guaranteed) for my efforts leave and take it to a shade tree where it is usually permanently ruined. If you can't do it yourself, learn how or do what you have to do to find the right shop that will, pay them what it costs, wait as long as it takes, don't call them all the time and bother them, and be glad they're around. This is easier said than done, most or getting older like me and like said above, want to spend time riding, not wrenching. The bigger a pain in the *** you seem the less likely someone will take you in.

Don't get me started on the absolute lack of qualified people to employ. I was getting a sub sandwich Saturday and one of the young guys working there asked me about what I was doing (dressed as mechanic working on my own truck) and says he took auto shop in school. You better believe I told him to come talk to me and there's a lot of openings and money to be made in the industry. He seemed unaware of the need and interested. I don't get why he's making subs but I'll find out.

Or just buy a new bike every ten years, if I weren't who I am I probably would.

Vernon

The bigger a pain in the *** you seem the less likely someone will take you in.
When I was in the business we called those people (or their cars) alligators. All they were good for was eating time money and profit. A clue would usually be that they had been to many shops etc.

We did take in a few of those that seemed interesting, and were able to fix issues that others hadn't, but it was rarely profitable and often time consuming.

I think that is major BS. I used to live in Washington DC and one thing I miss is the BMW service available around there. Parts is not a problem, cost it doesn’t matter the customers pay what they charge. Honestly do not see an obvious reason.
I have to say that Wild West Motoplex in Katy worked on my 2009 RT just last year. BMW has been a ling distance touring brand and one of their selling points has been if you break down or need service wherever you are in the country you can get it at a dealer. I guess if you pass by Austin with your older than 10 years BMW you are out of luck. Harley services all kinds of old Harleys…maybe it is time to change?
I guess nobody should buy bikes from them (Austin).

As an independent auto garage owner, not for any bikes but my own, I understand your frustration but also understand their reasoning completely. Many good points have already been made here and they are just as valid in the automotive world. I refuse to work on anything older than 25 years old with very few exceptions. If I do make an exception it has to be bone stock in very good condition and something with parts that are readily available, like a pick-up truck, that we have been maintaining well for years. Even then at least half the time it costs me more than I make, and I regret it. I don't like having to spend half a day driving around Houston looking for something in a junk yard.
Oh but all the parts are available! Every three steps something else breaks, strips, is found worn out of specs. You have to stop, see what the parts available are, make an estimate, call the customer and listen to them for another 10-20 minutes discussing if the vehicle is worth it, how much it cost 20 years ago, how much higher will it go? bla-bla-bla.

So, now I tell them leave me at least twice what I think it would cost 20 years ago, and if there's any money left over, I'll refund them. That way I can just get it done ASAP. Those that want their stuff fixed and can afford it are happy, the ones that will cost me money and then complain online (guaranteed) for my efforts leave and take it to a shade tree where it is usually permanently ruined. If you can't do it yourself, learn how or do what you have to do to find the right shop that will, pay them what it costs, wait as long as it takes, don't call them all the time and bother them, and be glad they're around. This is easier said than done, most or getting older like me and like said above, want to spend time riding, not wrenching. The bigger a pain in the *** you seem the less likely someone will take you in.

Don't get me started on the absolute lack of qualified people to employ. I was getting a sub sandwich Saturday and one of the young guys working there asked me about what I was doing (dressed as mechanic working on my own truck) and says he took auto shop in school. You better believe I told him to come talk to me and there's a lot of openings and money to be made in the industry. He seemed unaware of the need and interested. I don't get why he's making subs but I'll find out.

Or just buy a new bike every ten years, if I weren't who I am I probably would.

Vernon
Your points are all well taken, but 10years seems to be a very short cut off for service on any modern bike.

Back