• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BushPig Build

Is that 'lil Honda a Grom? How'd it do on 'A couple hundred miles in the Texas hill country' ?

Is that 'lil Honda a Grom? How'd it do on 'A couple hundred miles in the Texas hill country' ?

The Grom did surprisingly well and better than the XR150. My son in law is about 135lbs and tucks like superman on the highway with his feet on the passenger pegs, lol. The dude was hitting 70mph +. He was able to keep up for the most part, but we took it easy.

It was a sad day for Brandon to relinquish Bushpig back to me, but in that time, he worked his magic. He tore down the carb that had a jet, moved the needle (apparently already had an aftermarket one), did the air box mod, removed the exhaust baffle and got it tuned just right. The pig went from a mild mannered, mud snuggler to a pissed off razorback. It starts with a flick of the button and throttle wheelies are a twist away. I read and watched videos on how much difference in power the carb work could do, but this is like a different bike.

I was supposed to get it back and sell it, but...I might just forget to do that...you know...I am a busy man.

The airbox is the most restrictive thing on a stock DR. Cutting the top off the box and either rejecting it replacing the carb is a pretty nice improvement.

Personal preference, but I don't like the look of fixed fairings without side panels. KTM has done it on several bikes and it just looks goofy to me. Still, nice piece of kit.
I've since solved this issue with some 1/8" Kydex and a heat gun. Here's my Desert Donkey in all her glory in the Big Bend area.

Attachments

• DR Pinto Canyon.jpg
    DR Pinto Canyon.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DR TOTW.jpg
    DR TOTW.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 33
I plan on paying off Bushpig in about 6 weeks, wait for the title, and put it up for sale unless the buyer wants to do the bank to bank transaction. If interested, hit me up. I will post it in the sales section in a few months.

Until then, I am daily riding it to work and it's a hoot! I don't want to sell it really, but if I was offered enough to make it worth doing, I would. Our plan is to move to northeast Texas piney woods or maybe Arkansas towards the end of this year. I'll keep the Transalp, but looking to liquidate some things.

Glad to hear you're liking the Transalp. Have you gotten it armored up? The other guys I know that have them haven't done that yet.

I got to ride with a Transalp last weekend. I think it was the first I’ve seen in person.

We had to stop to snap a pic of both together!

Attachments

• IMG_5539.jpeg
    IMG_5539.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 16
Nice! Whose kit did you go with?

I took the chance and went with Hepco & Becker's full kit (upper bars, engine bars, skid plate, engine guards, hand guards). It took some time to get from overseas and was costly, but are just about the most high quality parts I can remember installing on a bike. They fit perfectly and installation was fairly straightforward. It took me about half a day to get everything installed and tightened up, and the instructions were excellent. I already knew this bike was a long term keeper, and it was worth it to me to spend the time and money on quality parts.

Unlike ProCycle parts, which I found to be alright, but leave some to the imagination. Their instructions are often like "Remove old part. Install new part. Enjoy.", and often takes a bit of mechanical persuasion to fit.

Working on a DR is like working on an AK. If it doesn't fit together, just use a bigger hammer.
I had very little trouble with mine. The parts I got all fit well. Maybe I got lucky. The ricochet skid plate was rather annoying to mount, but not due to poor fit. The conduit clamps over the frame rails were just a pain!

Bushpig is the last horse in my stable, so I'll be keeping it. I re-installed the 14T counter sprocket, the tail bag, Quadlock and now have 12V power for a charger. When I got it back, it had a "custom cut front fender" that was also painted black. It now has grey, black and naked color parts, and I am not digging that. At the very least, I'll take a rattle can to the rear fender and fairing.

Bushpig is the last horse in my stable, so I'll be keeping it. I re-installed the 14T counter sprocket, the tail bag, Quadlock and now have 12V power for a charger. When I got it back, it had a "custom cut front fender" that was also painted black. It now has grey, black and naked color parts, and I am not digging that. At the very least, I'll take a rattle can to the rear fender and fairing.
Any interest in a TM-40 carb or a Tusk luggage setup? I’m selling both.

Attachments

• IMG_5849.jpeg
    IMG_5849.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5799.jpeg
    IMG_5799.jpeg
    846.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5800.jpeg
    IMG_5800.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5805.jpeg
    IMG_5805.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5851.jpeg
    IMG_5851.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 4
I would love to pick up that TM-40 from you, but currently the pig is running really nice, and I am on a bit of a spending freeze for a while until we get worked out all of this with my wife's job. I am not a fan of hard luggage on this bike. I am trying to keep it as light as possible...but maybe I should be looking at losing some weight myself, lol.

I would love to pick up that TM-40 from you, but currently the pig is running really nice, and I am on a bit of a spending freeze for a while until we get worked out all of this with my wife's job. I am not a fan of hard luggage on this bike. I am trying to keep it as light as possible...but maybe I should be looking at losing some weight myself, lol.
TM-40 plus dropping a couple pounds would have that bike go from angry to furious ;)

Back