• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carrying 2 dirt bikes in truck bed

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
What's the best setup? But don't like the end result.

You can build a rack for about $20.
Works fabulous.
I'll take a picture of mine and post after the 10 feet of snow melts off my back yard.

Back in the day we always put the front tire in the front corners. Now we just put the front tire strait in. If 3 bikes we face the one in the middle backwards.
Short bed we used to put a tie down across through the back tires so nothing can slide out. The snow sure is thick in Greenville today.

I use one lower tie down that was in the truck bed from the factory power bike and the other side tires to an upper tie down I added to the top rim of the bed. Two dirt bikes is pretty easy, what I need to figure out is how to fit an Africa Twin and a Burgman 200...

Come on, simple question. I RARELY carry 2. When I do I'm fighting bars banging and tie downs through spokes. Just wondering if I'm missing something. Got 2 pick up 2 new bikes today, want to keep them that way.

I carry two in my short bed (5') Tacoma all the time, tailgate down, of course. Both straight in, but if you have something to place in front of the front tire of one of them, that'll help with bars rubbing (can also loosen/rotate bar). Use tie down straps, around forks (just above lower triple clamps) and to tallest tie point on side bed rail. More horizontal a tie can be, the better. Cross inner side tie downs through other bike's spokes, and tie as low as possible. Four straps total on front for both bikes. I leave bikes in gear, but also put one strap across (horizontal) rear tires as well. Knobbies hold them from slipping, or you can also thread through spokes. It's not as bad as you think, but try to keep it under 100mph, and you'll be fine.

I use one lower tie down that was in the truck bed from the factory power bike and the other side tires to an upper tie down I added to the top rim of the bed. Two dirt bikes is pretty easy, what I need to figure out is how to fit an Africa Twin and a Burgman 200...
If that's for Sunday ride, you can just bring the scooter; you can ride my 300 again if that helps.

If that's for Sunday ride, you can just bring the scooter; you can ride my 300 again if that helps.

It's not just for that, but for anything else similar. I really do need to figure it out. It may well be simple, as I need to get 2 more ratchet straps before I can try it.

I carry two in my short bed (5') Tacoma all the time, tailgate down, of course. Both straight in, but if you have something to place in front of the front tire of one of them, that'll help with bars rubbing (can also loosen/rotate bar). Use tie down straps, around forks (just above lower triple clamps) and to tallest tie point on side bed rail. More horizontal a tie can be, the better. Cross inner side tie downs through other bike's spokes, and tie as low as possible. Four straps total on front for both bikes. I leave bikes in gear, but also put one strap across (horizontal) rear tires as well. Knobbies hold them from slipping, or you can also thread through spokes. It's not as bad as you think, but try to keep it under 100mph, and you'll be fine.
Block in front of tire helped. Thanks

Attachments

• 20230131_125034.jpg
    20230131_125034.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 226
Cool! Next time though, try attaching the tie downs by looping around the forks, just above the triple clamps. It just keeps the tie points more horizontal to make for better latteral stability. Nice work though! It can be a real pain to get those inside ones, especially for the second bike, LOL.

My only issue with loading in a p/u these days is the ridiculous height. I just don't have the balance and strength for the job anymore and it has gotten very sjetchy a cpl times. SUV and hitch rack or trailer for multiple bikes seems to be my best option. I really dislike pulling a trailer thru Houston.

Agreed. I use my trailer less and less. Also I only get about 10 mpg with the trailer, so I end up doing the circus act to load them in my truck bed.

I always ride up my 4x6 foot ramp, especially when the truck is on flat ground. Good keep expecting me to have issues, but it's been pretty uneventful for years now. That said, I'm on the air to stall end of the power range of the bike going up. Actually have stalled a few times and it's always uneventful.

Last edited:
Agreed. I use my trailer less and less. Also I only get about 10 mpg with the trailer, so I end up doing the circus act to load them in my truck bed.
I’m just the opposite. At 72 years young I don’t have the strength, balance and dexterity that I possessed in my younger years. I load on a tandem axle flatbed without any issues. I drive an F350 dual rear wheel drive and the mileage is the same with or without the trailer. The last bike I loaded into the truck with a ramp was a 2008 HD Road King Classic and I don’t think I can do it anymore.

I’m just the opposite. At 72 years young I don’t have the strength, balance and dexterity that I possessed in my younger years.
Well, I ain't no spring chicken myself, but a year ago I hauled my trailer to California it cost me about $1,000,000.00. It's pretty heavy duty. Designed to haul baggers. It's also about 8in off the ground and a breeze to load.

Well, I ain't no spring chicken myself, but a year ago I hauled my trailer to California it cost me about $1,000,000.00. It's pretty heavy duty. Designed to haul baggers. It's also about 8in off the ground and a breeze to load.
My old trailer. I bought it used for $500 about 40 years ago. I pack the wheel bearings and put new tires on it about every 7-10 years.

Attachments

• 72E6F318-5B4B-4BF2-A9D7-91FA79C83A88.jpeg
    72E6F318-5B4B-4BF2-A9D7-91FA79C83A88.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 69
My old trailer. I bought it used for $500 about 40 years ago. I pack the wheel bearings and put new tires on it about every 7-10 years.
That looks like my dual axle trailer I never use. Both the Ram 1500 shortbed and our Chrysler mini van have heck towing it above 65 mph. The trailer brakes don't work and it starts to sway above 65 and even less if braking on a gradual turn. I've parked it for now and just load into the bed.

Loading dirt bike(s) in the back of my truck has become the norm for me, but anything beyond that goes on the trailer for sure. A good ramp is also key.

Good question Rob …. To keep the handlebars for hitting and not having a front tire stop …. In my friends truck we started placing the front tires in the left and right corners and archoring them each to the side and one in the middle to each bikes cross bar.

These are awesome

Back