• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cleaning & Restoration of metal parts

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Restoration & clean up of the CB400F begins. Any suggestions on how to remove this pitting?

IMG_2441-L.jpg

Maybe some very fine steal wool might work. Never restored forks before other than seals and oil. Cannot really tell how deep the marks are in the picture. Than maybe some polishing with polishing compound might help.

That pitting looks pretty deep, you will have to take some metal off to get rid of it. Are you going to disassemble them?

And may this will save you.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuw-avYzYzw"]Restore Motorcycle Fork Tubes with Cycle Care Formula M • Shop J&P Cycles - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
That pitting looks pretty deep, you will have to take some metal off to get rid of it. Are you going to disassemble them?

And may this will save you.

Thanks, I ordered some. I am doing a partial disassembly of the bike but not a complete strip down as it starts & rides nicely.

I really don't mind a vintage bike looking its age. It tells a story. Just getting them back on the road is a major accomplishment, few try.

Did you put in new seals?

Didn't you buy a C70 last year?

Really nice shine.

Last edited:
I really don't mind a vintage bike looking its age. It tells a story. Just getting them back on the road is a major accomplishment, few try.

Did you put in new seals?

Didn't you buy a C70 last year?

Really nice shine.

Thanks all :)

No new seals as there isn't even the slightest hint of a leak from the old ones. As with much of this bike, it's amazing how Honda's QC has held up so well. Right now I'd pay someone to clean spokes for me though, I'm about 8 hours into the front wheel!

I sold the C70 to a TWT'r who was looking for one to restore, too many projects going.

Lots of guys buy spokes and just replace them but it is a bit of an art. Not expensive, just time consuming. I don't know how to clean spokes but maybe the easiest way is with a rag and some Marvel Mystery oil. Maybe not. I did that on some rims and it looked great but was a dust magnet.

The stuff Desert Skies recommended (Cycle Care Formulas Formula M) works great with some steel wool & massive dollops of patience.

The stuff Desert Skies recommended (Cycle Care Formulas Formula M) works great with some steel wool & massive dollops of patience.

My late father in law said something that sticks with me today. When looking for some 10" spoke wheel for a vintage RC airplane I was building, he said, "Why not build them?" I whined about how how long that was going to take and his reply was, "Well, it is your hobby isn't it?"

His point, if it's worth doing, why not put in the time effort to get the end results you will be happy with...

I whined about how how long that was going to take and his reply was, "Well, it is your hobby isn't it?"

His point, if it's worth doing, why not put in the time effort to get the end results you will be happy with...

Wise words, it's not as if I need to ride the bike to work tomorrow.

Back