• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado D/S

Reaction score
Anyone going this year? I am a sr rider and interested in trails and jeep roads, just not the struggle over the boulders six inch ledge switchback stuff. Can ride anything, just controlling the risk exposure nowadays. Way past that. Riding buddies in my area have quit or died off in recent years so I need to find a like minded small group. Have decided I am past the point of riding alone there anymore. Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Salida, Taylor Park-Crested Butte, Divide, etc, its all good. July thru Oct is good for me. Plated XR4.

Last edited:
How about a little further North? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029562 I'm going to try and make this one, if you'd like to join me.
If not, I would be interested in riding Colorado, but I wouldn't be able to go until late August or September.

Maybe forty years ago, no tents for me since I said adios to Uncle Sam. CO is good anytime you are ready. After school starts even better, no crowds.

Two day drive up, three or four days riding, two day drive back. I just can't do the non stop straight thru drive deal anymore.

I'm your Huckleberry.
Retired & in same predicament. Not looking to ride the toughest trails, but will to get somewhere. A few days is easier to do than a week. Wife & kids & dogs & chickens & yardwork at home.
I have a 35' RV to drive up & park....then my only requirement is breathtaking scenery, cool winds, terra firma I've never seen before.
Lets meet

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1430253871560.jpg
    FB_IMG_1430253871560.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 166
5 of us are leaving the 10th of July. Heading to South Fork to our cabin then riding from there. Heading over to Ouray then crisscross the BDR heading north. Were all on KTM 990 and 1190. Not riding anything crazy. Going to trailer to South Fork cause I can see everything from here to there from my truck in my AC.

5 of us are leaving the 10th of July. Heading to South Fork to our cabin then riding from there. Heading over to Ouray then crisscross the BDR heading north. Were all on KTM 990 and 1190. Not riding anything crazy. Going to trailer to South Fork cause I can see everything from here to there from my truck in my AC.

Any of the riders going by bike up there to there?

\ I am a sr rider and interested in trails and jeep roads, just not the struggle over the boulders six inch ledge switchback stuff. Can ride anything, just controlling the risk exposure nowadays. Way past that. Riding buddies in my area have quit or died off in recent years so I need to find a like minded small group. Have decided I am past the point of riding alone there anymore. Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Salida, Taylor Park-Crested Butte, Divide, etc, its all good. July thru Oct is good for me. Plated XR4.

Keep me looped in here for late Summer/Fall.

I like hotel showers after a day in the saddle too!

Two day drive up, three or four days riding, two day drive back. I just can't do the non stop straight thru drive deal anymore.

Can you sleep in a moving RV, or have you driven a motorhome ? Can dump it off in NM and motor a ds Colorado trek for a couple days & then back to NM. I've not ridden Colo on motorcycle but can sure follow a trek......or Philbarrett8-)

Keep me looped in here for late Summer/Fall.

I like hotel showers after a day in the saddle too!

Yep, that is my style. Right now I am looking hard at Salida or Crested Butte. Have done the RV thing before and it gets a little tight after a few days. No offense but I prefer a motel and restaurants available. I am told the Red River/Angel Fire area is good for DS also but no personal knowledge.

Yep, that is my style. Right now I am looking hard at Salida or Crested Butte. Have done the RV thing before and it gets a little tight after a few days. No offense but I prefer a motel and restaurants available. I am told the Red River/Angel Fire area is good for DS also but no personal knowledge.

Yes Sir....I prefer the Motel & Inn too after a long ride. The RV is a suggestion to split gas & transport bikes across the Llano Estacado to get close enough to get on the bike & not loose a few pounds in sweat.
I am interested in seeing some of the mountain top legs of the COBDR & there is plenty of routes to take to get there, just have not made the trip myself. Philbarret is quite the capable route planner. I rode with him in May through some very spectacular back country of Nuevo Leon Mexico. I would like to see some of Colorado for comparison.

just thought might be small world deal yes he is going same week as yall .me and 6 of my high school buds are going the 4th till friday too creade my fist trip there .have fun be safe .tony d:sun::sun:

Brad and I are planning Taylor Park/Crested Butte 8/1-8/7. We will take our RV and our 4 legged kids. We will ride most days, but take a day or so to hike with the dogs as well. Not planning on riding anything too crazy - we aren't plated either. Just got the trails guide book and doesn't seem like not being plated will be an issue.

I'm your Huckleberry.
Retired & in same predicament. Not looking to ride the toughest trails, but will to get somewhere. A few days is easier to do than a week. Wife & kids & dogs & chickens & yardwork at home.
I have a 35' RV to drive up & park....then my only requirement is breathtaking scenery, cool winds, terra firma I've never seen before.
Lets meet

Got the same problem but sure like to go. Live in Huntsville area.

Closest areas are Red River/Angel Fire NM or Salida, CO in my experience. Basically a two day trip unless you drive straight thru. Doing the straight thru deal leaves most too whipped to do anything the first day and prone to altitude sickness. I have learned over the years to not do things that will ruin my trip. Because of the time spent on traveling I will be planning on at least a seven day trip. Late July thru early Oct is ok for me. Usually take a day off from riding to just look around and sight see a little also. Things are cheaper and less crowded the later it is. I will be staying in a motel or cabin. You guys see what you can do and holler. No smoking or drinking while in my vehicle but am told I snore occasionally. I will have the occasional libation in the evening but nothing that will affect my riding.

Same (old man) boat your in but not as simple with a girl friend and her two Yorkies But it works out. She likes to drive, me and dogs sleep and she stops ocassional to feed and water us. Like many from these parts, trailering the bike.
You might check this out. Rates better this time of year. Open to all riders. I'm not familiar with the area so their (advertised) map downloads for self guided rides is a big plus for me. Cabins are about 60 bucks less per night in Almont 20 miles south of Crested Butte. Just a normal commute distance for me. Filling up pretty quickly though. Two days up, two days back with three riding days in between.

http://www.ktmorangeevents.com/EventPage.aspx

Back