• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Coming to a NP near you....trail closures!

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
The greenies are getting their way. Only pedal bikes allowed on some trails now...closed to all motorized vehicles - even EVs!.

Just like everything else. The few bad apples are hurting all of us. I agree that side by sides have caused damage and have become race vehicles. Glad I saw Moab a few times. Their economy might suffer.

As one who went to Moabs BLM areas many years when I lived in Colorado, all any of us can say is that its turned into Las Vegas now, and the city itself is uninhabitable.

Your government at work, I've never been out there but it looks amazing. We are in the minority coddling age, so it's no surprise, I am not real sure I agree with everything the author of the article linked says, but unless people get involved and stand up to these types of over reach, it will continue to get worse.
We deal with it around here as well.

Seems like it’d be better to just ban vehicles that aren’t street legal.

I’ve been hearing complaints about UTVs a lot from folks who spend a lot of time on public lands the last few years.

Seems like it’d be better to just ban vehicles that aren’t street legal.

I’ve been hearing complaints about UTVs a lot from folks who spend a lot of time on public lands the last few years.
In some states, off-road vehicles can be plated, Utah is one of those states. Oklahoma you see SxS on road all the time. I'm not sure what their restrictions are but I've been behind a higher end 4 seat one running 70 on a state highway.

In the end we're still left with 600-700 miles of trails to use, but it sucks to lose any trail system and as everyone knows no matter what's said, once those trails are gone, we never get them back. If anyone was familiar with the Tellico OHV (Tennessee and North Carolina) area, we lost all of that around 2009, and it's never been reopened, including some private OHV parks that got wrangled into that shutdown.

Easter Jeep Safari is not too far out, end of March 2024, so we will see what happens. Losing 300+ miles of trail will probably result in further traffic/erosion/congestion on what's left.

In some states, off-road vehicles can be plated, Utah is one of those states. Oklahoma you see SxS on road all the time. I'm not sure what their restrictions are but I've been behind a higher end 4 seat one running 70 on a state highway.

Last I checked that's one area where states have been getting away with not honoring another states registration. Probably because of the lack of NHSTA crash ratings or something. Or they're just ignoring whatever reciprocity type law they have.

Last I checked that's one area where states have been getting away with not honoring another states registration. Probably because of the lack of NHSTA crash ratings or something. Or they're just ignoring whatever reciprocity type law they have.
I'm just saying in this case, banning vehicles that aren't street legal probably would have no effect in Moab since it's in UTAH and you can plate ATVs and SxS for street use.

The problem is the nitwits are venturing further west. The folks in Hanksville have bumper stickers and signs that say "Don't Moab Hanksville". That's new.

I'm just saying in this case, banning vehicles that aren't street legal probably would have no effect in Moab since it's in UTAH and you can plate ATVs and SxS for street use.

Fair point. The Fed could probably override that with some interstate commerce clause stuff (or just make things up) since they don't have a NHTSA safety rating or something. Especially since it's federal land anyway.

Back