• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cramp Buster

Bines

Reaction score
So I bought a Cramp Buster. Been meaning to try one. Used it on my commute several times already.

I like it on the expressway. I've found the angle where I can rest my hand at 75 and just cruise.

It's not so great off the expressway, but it's not for traffic, just like actual cruise control isn't. The trick for me is to have it positioned in a spot horizontally along the grip where it's out of the way while in traffic, but can be kept at the angle desired for the expressway.

It can be turned around and out of the way easily by turning it upwards (deceleration direction) but then you've got to find the angle again. Not really something you want to do while tearing down the highway. It's stayed in place just fine so far.

For $10, I give it a worth it if you don't have cruise control and don't want a throttle lock.

I bought one of those off of a guy who had never even taken it out of the packaging. I haven't taken it out either.

I used one for a couple of years, including on some long road trips. You are right that if you "spin" it out of the way, you have to find the right position again as you pull out of town and back onto the highway. My experience was that, after a few hundred miles of use, it became pretty easy to do that.

Now the not so good.
1) You have to get it out of the way any time you are getting into any throttle on-off situations. Yeah, that seems obvious, but here's where it counts. After a 20 miles of straight Colorado riding, I came up on a hairpin and I didn't spin the Crampbuster out of the way. Result - halfway through the curve, I accidentally bumped it, lurching the bike at a bad moment and giving myself a nasty scare. Could have put me down.
2) More mundane but important. I found, at the end of a trip home from Colorado, that balancing my wrist all the way across NM and Texas gave me an uncomfortable condition that was probably carpel tunnel syndrome. It took a couple of months for the discomfort to go away. That's when I got a throttle lock, and have never used the Crampbuster again.

Now the not so good.
1) You have to get it out of the way any time you are getting into any throttle on-off situations. Yeah, that seems obvious, but here's where it counts. After a 20 miles of straight Colorado riding, I came up on a hairpin and I didn't spin the Crampbuster out of the way. Result - halfway through the curve, I accidentally bumped it, lurching the bike at a bad moment and giving myself a nasty scare. Could have put me down. ...

I've tried a variety of devices for easing the strain of holding the throttle on long rides. After a few similar experiences to yours I gave up. I once had a set of grips with a raised ledge, that worked, but they were not infinitely adjustable--the ridge found its way under a set of knuckles and that's the speed you went.

Tdub has a set of ugly sand-colored grips with an octagon shape and no waffles or other molded surface disturbances. The rubber is very soft, almost tacky feeling, so absorbs vibration and no slip, even when wet. Just resting a palm on the grip is enough to keep the throttle open on the highway, no handles and such necessary. They are a normal diameter for easy adjustment of hand position on or off road, and firm enough to feel what is going on through the bars. If memory serves they were called gel grips, but there are no pockets of goo, just a single soft rubber. Wish I could find some more for other bikes. 58,000 miles on them and they are badly worn, but still doing their job.

I use my cramp buster all the time, and I have no issues coming off-throttle with it, and not even adjusting it. I do have it all the way to the right on the bar, though. I find that when I do come off-throttle, my hands gravitate toward the inside of the throttle anyway, and it's just not in the way there. When underway and using it, I tend to relax and pull my hands back away from the inside edges of the grips. I'm mostly always relaxed,but they do tend to move a bit - and that little bit is enough.

Got them on everything I ride except the dirt bikes , best invention ever for long distance short of a real cruise control . They used to ba available in right or left grip then some patent crying issue came up and the best ones went away . The current ones are ok but a little tighter on the grips so more difficult to roll out of the way when you need total control . I do grind off the edge that I don't use so it's a little more streamlined . I have seen one other on the market that is several inches long and velcros to the grip , I won't touch that one , my old ones do just fine .

Got rid of mine after the first panic stop that rolled my wrists slightly down and greatly reducing braking power.... never again. Throttlemeisters rule.

I have cramp busters on all my road bikes and really appreciate them. I've have learned to twist it out of the way when riding in town. The first time, and second, and third time I reached for the front brake lever and accidentally twisted the throttle it spooked me. But I have learned from experience and haven't been surprised in a long time. I even have one on my RT which has cruise. I use it regularly on road trips when there's no way I can maintain a constant speed. Cramp busters are great on long journeys on two lane roads. My throttle hand doesn't get tired, handle bar vibration doesn't bother me, and it's relaxing to use. it's like having a power throttle grip.

To the riders on this thread who don't use them, that a good decision for you. But, I would hate to make a long journey on my KLR, Bandit, or Tenere without a cramp buster on the throttle grip.

As with most things motorcycle, Crampbusters are one man's Kool-ade and another man's poison. I would have kept using mine, but from too many years pounding an IT keyboard into the wee hours of the morning, I've become very susceptible to wrist and elbow pain. When others got CTS from keyboarding, I was actually diagnosed with Tennis Elbow from the same thing.

Definitely, keeping the Crampbuster to the far outside helps. And a little practice doing the forward-and-down spin goes a long way. My experience in the twisties is that, if you keep the thing pointed downward, it will not interfere. But leave it in place and accidentally whack it when you're reaching for the brake, and you can have a serious come-to-Jesus experience. Practice those situations before they occur.

My wife gave me a ThrottleMeister a couple of years ago. It fits the Strom's handlebars without difficulty, is easy to use, and allows me to rest my right arm. It also comes with a caveat similar to the Crampbuster - practice flicking that switch off quickly in case of a panic situation. And proactively switch it off before corners, in traffic, or when passing.

I just do regular exercise to build up my Kung fu grip. [emoji15]

I use my cramp buster all the time, and I have no issues coming off-throttle with it, and not even adjusting it. I do have it all the way to the right on the bar, though. I find that when I do come off-throttle, my hands gravitate toward the inside of the throttle anyway, and it's just not in the way there. When underway and using it, I tend to relax and pull my hands back away from the inside edges of the grips. I'm mostly always relaxed,but they do tend to move a bit - and that little bit is enough.

^^this^^ I have one on all my bikes. Just like you Chaissos, I've found the best place is all the way to the outside end of the bar.

(If I trailer the 250 to do trails, I spin it out of the way and never think about it again. but on those long paved stretches, it is super nice to have.

I also have a throttle lock on the wee. don't use it much but it is handy to have when you need your right hand for doing things like fishing something out of the tank bag... and other perfectly safe activities....

:duck:

Last edited:
it is handy to have when you need your right hand for doing things like fishing something out of the tank bag... and other perfectly safe activities....

:duck:

Checking a text message?
Snapping a picture with your SLR at 75mph?
Getting an item out of your tail box?
Slipping out of a layer when it gets too hot?

The world wants to know what other perfectly safe reasons you have for your throttle lock. :lol2:

On longer trips, I actually use 2 of them. One on each side. Just use 'em to rest my wrists 'cuz I have cruise control on my bike. Kinda silly looking but it works for me.

I've had a throttle lock on every bike I've owned. Set properly, it is nothing more than a clutch on the grip and can roll on/off easily.
Yes, I use it on WEST I-10 at 80 mph, and a friend took a picture of me chilling with my hands crossed in my lap.
AT 75.

Always thought moving a throttle device to the far end of the grip might work, but my fat hands do not fit between the paddle and the inside end of the grip. Always considered longer grips, but never got around to such a mod. On most bikes it's a lot more complicated than it looks.

Checking a text message?

The world wants to know what other perfectly safe reasons you have for your throttle lock. :lol2:

I have carpal and ulnar tunnel syndrome in my right hand. Without at least the vista cruise throttle lock, I wouldn't be able to ride because my hand would go numb 15 minutes into the ride. Being able to put the throttle lock on for 15-30 seconds and let my wrist rest has let me do IBA rides. :)

Checking a text message?

lol I have done one of those things. Just one--I'll leave it to y'all to guess which.

I have carpal and ulnar tunnel syndrome in my right hand. Without at least the vista cruise throttle lock, I wouldn't be able to ride because my hand would go numb 15 minutes into the ride. Being able to put the throttle lock on for 15-30 seconds and let my wrist rest has let me do IBA rides. :)

Yeah, the Vista is what my wife bought me from VStroma.com. I used it for the first time last year, going to Mississippi in the spring. Three back-to-back 400-mile days, and I LOVED it. The Vista, my Airhawk cushion, and my Dan Vesel seatback are the trifecta of VStrom riding comfort.

Cheez, I had the same problem, when I rode my hands would go numb after a couple of minutes. I also had other hand numbness problems besides that. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands last spring and have had no numbness at all since.

Have one, used it once, did not like the system-- but I admit to not trying very hard.

Sure would love a bike with a simple electronic cruise control, just like all the cars I have owned for years.

Cheez, I had the same problem, when I rode my hands would go numb after a couple of minutes. I also had other hand numbness problems besides that. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands last spring and have had no numbness at all since.

That's really great to hear- I'm glad you found a solution. I'll have to talk to my doc about options- so far the only option offered has been physical therapy, which has proven ineffective. Thanks greatly for the feedback!!

Have one, used it once, did not like the system-- ...

Are we still talking about a Cramp Buster (or any of the other virtually identical clones)?

I'm having trouble equating "system" with a bent piece of plastic. :lol2:

I have the cramp buster, a throttle lock, and a true cruise control. In case one fails or gets taken, I have a fall back. The kind of riding I do requires I have an opportunity while underway to take my hand off the throttle and relax every once in a while.

Never liked cramp busters. They work okay on bikes with skinny handlebar grips, where I can't get a good grip with winter gloves on. Otherwise, they are more of an hindrance in everyday riding. I much prefer the Omni Cruise or Go Cruise 2 type throttle locks.

Of course, nothing beats a true cruise control.

Back