• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Davy Crockett day ride

Rydah

Who's ready to ride some dirt?!
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Had the itch to get some dirt on the bike, so downloaded Tourmiester's file, modifed them to see if I could get a bit more dirt in, then headed out yesterday to my start point in Trinity, TX. I chose this place because it was not too far a haul, but yet should allow me enough time to explore/do the loop I had plotted out. The day was perfect; cool and crisp, and I was following the East Texas rule of thumb for dirt riding; always go two days after it rains. Makes for the best tacky sand, so no dust and great traction. I won't be doing an in depth report, as I basically spent all my time in the saddle. I did stop for gas/lunch in Ratcliff though, so I'll put a couple pics in, but otherwise, hope you enjoy a couple videos:

One of the problems with trying to plot a route only using a computer is you don't really know what "roads" are going to look like until you get there. Here's an example:

Yeah, took me into a cow pasture! Had to do some great line selection to avoid the land mines, and the cows were as confused as I was for sure, lol.

Stopped at the Exxon station in Ratcliff to gas up before starting the forest loop, then stopped there again after completing the loop. Asked a nice lady pumping gas for a suggestion to have lunch in town. She told me there wasn't any; the only restaurant had closed during the china virus :angryfire , but that the little shop there at the station made great sandwiches. She was right! Maybe I was just hungry, but the chicken salad I ordered was pretty darn good!

Davy Crockett Ride - Lunch.jpg

Ratcliff Exxon.jpg

Anyway, I had a great time, and once I clean up my routes, I'll post them in the GPS section.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2022 Davy Crockett Loop.gpx
    905.4 KB · Views: 71
Nice I love riding in East Texas. I know what you mean about the rain. I was up that way around 1st of Oct and the sand was knee deep to tall Giraffe. Riding should be even better after this week as forecast calls for 3 or 4 days of rain this week.

East Texas is so under rated for DS by the aficionados and I hope it stays that way. šŸ˜‰
I live for this time of year.

"One of the problems with trying to plot a route only using a computer is you don't really know what "roads" are going to look like until you get there."

Wish I had a dollar for everytime I've relearned this...but how else we gonna know! :thumb:

"One of the problems with trying to plot a route only using a computer is you don't really know what "roads" are going to look like until you get there."

Wish I had a dollar for everytime I've relearned this...but how else we gonna know! :thumb:
Yep, but ain't that part of the fun? It's been more than once that I've had excursions like the cow pasture above that ended up being a dead end, but had so much fun doing it anyway. I guess I just love riding dirt bikes; don't really matter which way I'm going!

Reactions: my6
I'd be careful with those pasture "roads". They may show on the map as roads and they can be fun, but they can be and often are private. If you didn't have to mess with a gate, you're probably okay. I have encountered some pretty hostile folks on roads like that though and they were not even remotely interested in discussing the issue :wary:

I'd be careful with those pasture "roads". They may show on the map as roads and they can be fun, but they can be and often are private. If you didn't have to mess with a gate, you're probably okay. I have encountered some pretty hostile folks on roads like that though and they were not even remotely interested in discussing the issue :wary:
Yeah, that's why you notice I turned around when I saw that wasn't going anywhere, and made the comment "hope I don't get shot"! That's the "fun" of exploring new routes; you don't know until you try it.

Back