• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

Will you keep your ICE bike once electric takes over?

• Yes

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
EV's are a fad. Without CONSTANT TAXPAYER SUBSIDIES they go away REALLY fast. Plus, anyone that owns one, learns QUICKLY that the charging infrastructure, not to mention our grid, especially here in even Texas, is barely able to keep up with summertime OR winter storm demands. EV's are a pipe dream at this point in time and there just isn't enough money to fix all the problems quick enough. Last time I checked USA is BROKE beyond comprehension so these subsidies (and they are STILL there for Tesla, my brother just got one and is struggling to justify it) will come to a crashing halt. Seems the EV industry is already in a severe downfall. Who, in their right mind, wants these glorified golf carts?
Once again, it depends on how you use it. I have driven an electric car since 2011. I did 140,000 miles in an ugly, but well-built, Nissan Leaf and I have just over 80,000 miles on my current daily, a Fiat 500e. My commute isn't as long as it used to be but I still use public charing a couple of times a week. I'm closing in a quarter million all-electric miles in Texas. It's not for everybody, it helps that my stay-at-home wife has a Ford Explorer but it works for me.

Last edited:
Once again, it depends on how you use it. I have driven an electric car since 2011. I did 140,000 miles in an ugly, but well-built, Nissan Leaf and I have just over 80,000 miles on my current daily, a Fiat 500e. My commute isn't as long as it used to be but I still use public charing a couple of times a week. I'm closing in a quarter million all-electric miles in Texas. It's not for everybody, it helps that my stay-at-home wife has a Ford Explorer but it works for me.
I have NO PROBLEM with the idea of electric anything, just very much against the FORCED taxation so it could be "affordable". In fact, often I've pondered there are many ways I could benefit from a pure EV with some of our very short trips, but the cost really isn't cheaper nor is the maintenance (6 miles of Paris to Dakar training road to get and out of my property!) and insurance for them is not a bargain. Then there is the constant threat of "thermal runaway" that I just don't have to worry about with my ICE sweethearts. What can say? I love pistons and ICE motors. I never could even get into electric RC. All my RC toys I've kept and played with since childhood burn nitro!

Sometimes things make me scratch my head. I hear all these stories about how dangerous Lithium Ion batteries in cars are. That you are taking chances with burning down your house if you park a car with one in your garage. Then I think; don't most of us including those sharing those warnings carry one around in our pocket all day? Do we not go to sleep with them charging in the room with us? If they are so dangerous in cars why not in cell phones?

I'm pretty confident that with the millions of phones out there it is likely that incidents happen. But for some reason we accept them and don't make a big deal of it. But if incidents happen with cars they are trumpeted. Is this just bias against EV's showing through.

Sometimes things make me scratch my head. I hear all these stories about how dangerous Lithium Ion batteries in cars are. That you are taking chances with burning down your house if you park a car with one in your garage. Then I think; don't most of us including those sharing those warnings carry one around in our pocket all day? Do we not go to sleep with them charging in the room with us? If they are so dangerous in cars why not in cell phones?

I'm pretty confident that with the millions of phones out there it is likely that incidents happen. But for some reason we accept them and don't make a big deal of it. But if incidents happen with cars they are trumpeted. Is this just bias against EV's showing through.
Look at voltage and amperages. Not too long ago those iPhones were burning holes in peoples legs. The batteries in your handheld devices probably won't kill you, not by electric shock for sure. EV/Hybrids can do some deadly stuff. Research it if you don't believe me. The current media is biased towards anything "green" yet EV's are the furthest thing, ironically, from green on every level. Insurance companies data are against what you are saying. There is a turning happening as we speak on all of this. Believe what you want but I KNOW how dangerous they can be. So should everyone. But that's life, you can go through life ignorant and happy...till something goes "boom"... :eek2:

I have NO PROBLEM with the idea of electric anything, just very much against the FORCED taxation so it could be "affordable"`
Remember, the first 12-ish years of the EV tax credit thing was a Tax Credit. That means your taxes didn't go up, it means the government refunded me back some of the money that I had already paid them - and you couldn't get back anymore than you owed in taxes. Not sure how it works now.

Remember, the first 12-ish years of the EV tax credit thing was a Tax Credit. That means your taxes didn't go up, it means the government refunded me back some of the money that I had already paid them - and you couldn't get back anymore than you owed in taxes. Not sure how it works now.
So you are saying it cost the rest of us NOTHING to help you get those tax credits? Never saw any program like this for something more green in reality, like motorcycles! And the fact is that the hybrids that preceded the EV's did have subsidies that taxpayers ultimately footed the bill for...to make them "more affordable". Again, I'm against this kind of crony capitalism no matter the item. Any product in a free market (which we haven't had for many many decades, unfortunately) should be able to 'stand on its own' especially if it's viable...More so this so-called "green" tech...who doesn't want a cleaner brighter earth? Toyota/Honda/Tesla made BANK off our backs. Still are.

So you are saying it cost the rest of us NOTHING to help you get those tax credits? Never saw any program like this for something more green in reality, like motorcycles!
Correct. It didn't cost you anything. It just increased my refund, and if I had not already paid at $7,500, I would have only gotten back what I had paid in. That is how the EV tax credit worked for the first 12 years or so.

Correct. It didn't cost you anything. It just increased my refund, and if I had not already paid at $7,500, I would have only gotten back what I had paid in. That is how the EV tax credit worked for the first 12 years or so.
The debt added to the Federal Register costs ALL OF US so that $7500 you "got back" in effect added that amount to the debt. Thanks. Seriously, why would you think it's not costing us?

The debt added to the Federal Register costs ALL OF US so that $7500 you "got back" in effect added that amount to the debt. Thanks. Seriously, why would you think it's not costing us?
Seems like you are confusing what I pay with what the government spends. Those are two very different things. I can control what I pay, I cannot control what the government spends. If the government doesn't get my 7.5k, then maybe they should adjust the budget ;-)

gore-tx and tiki...you guys should start a club...lol. 2 bois dat don't pay attention to things happening in this life. Good luck!

Whatever you do don't listen to this guy without your blinders and ear muffs on.

My mom and I were having a general discussion about rebates from the government, grants, credits and the like. Seems to me IF we had a balanced budget amendment, and a REAL BUDGET, then one could ascertain for sure whether the money received from (the Gov) is part of a program that is budgeted for, etc, etc.
But NO ONE can know that for sure...because there is NO BUDGET, there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY and our debt just keeps going up and up.

Last edited:
Reuters looked at recent salvage auction listings and found that the "vast majority" of the 120 Model Y vehicles listed had less than 10,000 miles on them. While these EVs originally cost between around $60,000 and $80,000, high repair costs will keep them off the road in the future, despite their low odometer readings. A $61,000 2022 Model Y Long Range EV, for example, was in a front collision and would have cost more than $50,000 to fix had the insurer approved the repair.

a Tesla service center quoted one Model 3 owner $16,000 to fix a battery pack coolant leak after it was damaged by road debris. An independent mechanic was able to fix the issue for $700, and The Drive argued the story proved that the Right to Repair is an important issue for EVs.

Yeah, the economy is AWESOME! You might be able to get a great deal on these blowouts...problem is, all these brands are having HORRID quality control issues right now. Good luck!

Here's a used deal for you at local GM dealer:
2023 Hummer with only 3,700 miles!!!
$124,995

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1714081170352.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714081170352.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 7
I'm seeing the heavy truck market is starting to tip toe back a bit from this. Not completely but it's definitely not the top priority.

Back