• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electronic insurance cards

That's a good question. When I low sided my bike at 50mph, the bike and I suffered some damage but we survived. My cell phone did not.

The only input I have is from when I was pulled over after getting my Concours. Apparently I was doing 30 over the speed limit. I won't say if I was or wasn't. However I only had the bike less than 48 hrs and only had a copy of the insurance card on my email. It did suffice then, but maybe only bc it was a new bike, and also maybe bc I was polite enough to pull over when I could have left him in the dust since he did have to turn around. But I am not some punk squid. I wouldn't do that.

A simple card folded up in my wallet is no big deal. I keep it right there with the M endorsed license. Works for me, never is out of range or low on battery.

+1

Nope. If you've actually got it you'd go, by yourself, and show it to the clerk who would then dismiss it and file the ppwk. If you don't have it and are one of the idiots who try to see if I'm going to show up to testify, then yes, see you there.

I do however encourage everyone to contest my charges, whether municipal, county or district. I get 2hrs OT at the minimum every time I show up to court and I like to vacation and spend money...

Now --- let's see how many replies I get to that. :mrgreen:

Oh I plan to. I wont get it dismissed by clerk, will be in court with a jury of my peers. Ps im salary so I get paid if Im in court or working. :chug: you can buy th beers after u loose. I know several popo's one is a motorcycle office I will text him and see what he would do.

phone doesnt need service to store it on phone.

Ya know those dagfangled gas engine things will never catch on.

Last edited:
A simple card folded up in my wallet is no big deal. I keep it right there with the M endorsed license. Works for me, never is out of range or low on battery. YMMV, but I am curious about one thing. What advantage the OP is seeking to gain by relying on a smart phone display of either a local file or a remote web page?

What is your backup plan when or if an accident bounces you, your bike, and your device around busting one or all of the above?

Hey more power to ya and to each there own. In a very nice way, this is what i choose and it works for me. I have 4 cars a trailer and 2 street bikes thats 7 little folded papers (Family plan). My insurance renews every six months and I got tired of keeping up with replacing cards all the time. As far as a accident and phone is destroyed, no biggie I give what info I have and if I get ticket I go to court and show clerk--ticket dismissed.

Perhaps my question has been taken out of context here. I am not saying that the concept is wrong, illegal, or right. I see no advantage to reliance on the device over the paper in this case. I am not presuming that just because I don't see it that it is not there, which is why I am asking the original poster what advantage they gain from it.

As far as seven cards is concerned.... common sense says the cars and trucks have secure glove boxes for those cards along with the trailer proof. My multiple bikes all show up on one card. Seven cards? You exaggerate here.

Well no one mentioned it (or I missed it) but let's go further - How about we store the DL electronically too? DPS already has it and their database is way better than the insurance card database. We should do the SSN the same way too.

Lose it, just re-send a data file. No smart phone? The govt mandates healthcare, surely we can mandate a smart phone. :rofl:

Books, documents? We don't need no stinkin' books or documents...................

Our legal advisor has told us that a "unconfirmed" hit from the database is PC for a stop to further investigate whether the driver/car is actually insured.

I have accepted an emailed copy of an insurance card before (girl's dad scanned and emailed the current card to his daughter's smart phone while I was working her accident) I then also looked up the company on the internet and called the number I found there to verify.

It is amazing how many folks have the "no insurance" hit and then try to provide a card saying they have insurance and when you call the insurance company the policy has been cancelled.

If you are in a wreck..always call the other person's insurance company to verify the policy.

:clap::clap: I'm glad to see that there is atleast one LEO that is not too lazy or too busy to do his/her job. :clap::clap:

To me a electronic copy is better then a hard copy. I have seen a lot of fake documents. But I still make the calls to prove they are fake.

Perhaps my question has been taken out of context here. I am not saying that the concept is wrong, illegal, or right. I see no advantage to reliance on the device over the paper in this case. I am not presuming that just because I don't see it that it is not there, which is why I am asking the original poster what advantage they gain from it.

As far as seven cards is concerned.... common sense says the cars and trucks have secure glove boxes for those cards along with the trailer proof. My multiple bikes all show up on one card. Seven cards? You exaggerate here.

I only get 3 bikes to a card. Still, no big deal to carry 3 insurance cards.

"Proof" of insurance is a laughable concept. $50K in cash in your pocket is 'proof.' Anything else is just evidence.

Well no one mentioned it (or I missed it) but let's go further - How about we store the DL electronically too? DPS already has it and their database is way better than the insurance card database. We should do the SSN the same way too.

Lose it, just re-send a data file. No smart phone? The govt mandates healthcare, surely we can mandate a smart phone. :rofl:

Books, documents? We don't need no stinkin' books or documents...................

But we do need to waste tons of tax money on triple redundancy! :rofl:

I had a thought today on the issue of the office taking my phone back to their car (I can understand that being a concern, BTW.) Isn't the laptop that most of you have in your car connected to the internet? Do you have a work email? Why couldn't I just email them to you from my phone? A few seconds later, you've got a copy...I know we're adding levels of complexity to it all, but I tend to not remember to keep those silly cards, but my agent can send them to me in seconds, so...

CM

I understand the reasoning behind the proof of insurance, but in this day and age, in the absence of a verifiably accurate database, the cold hard fact is that there simply is no proof other than verification directly from the insurer at the specific time the question comes up (accident, traffic stop, or whatever).

Any 12 year-old kid can make an insurance card indistinguishable from a real one. As has been noted, more than one insurance company is now providing electronic versions of the cards that the insured simply prints out or stores on some device.

Soft copies on smart phones, laptops, iPads, or whatever are also easily faked. The same kid that made the fake card can just as easily make a fake document to store on your device. In fact, it's a prerequisite to printing the fake card.

No exaggeration. my insurance company puts each vehicle and each person on a seperate card. I would really like it if the just sent one card per person with all vehicles listed. They also renew every six months.
I did speak with a friend mxcop from a local police dept and he did confirm what 10-95 says if it shows up in data base he will let you go. If only proof is elctronic he will write the ticket. Oh well.

Back