• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Enduros?

Well said Kubotamiketx! No single bit of advice is more important than those 4 words.
No matter where, when, or with whom, always RIDE YOUR OWN RACE
Bad things can happen when you get caught up in running at someone else's pace!

http://www.torcsracing.com

Another option if you're considering a "speed" race versus a timed event(for all practical purposes you'll ride the same speed, but in speed events riders get more impatient when passing) TORCS puts on a good event weekend with beginners classes both days. Loops are short but most locations are fairly tight courses. They run 10 events a year, last one for this year is this weekend.

But your bike would fit enduro riding better imo, plus a lot more seat time in a TSCEC event. And most of the time you won't see the same trail twice!

Last edited:
Bad things can happen when you get caught up in running at someone else's pace!

ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS^^^^

AMSA promoted a race in January 2016. Many people enjoyed the race weekend and asked for us to promote a race series. We are not certain of the number of races we will promote in 2017 but it will be a minimum of three races.
Each of the races will be a different format that will challenge everyone. Each course will be a well thought out course that flows and will be well marked just like our clubs ride day courses.
You might want to start looking for some lights for your bike or your helmet or both depending on how fast you like to ride when the sun don't shine! I'm just saying.
The first race will be at McMahan Ranch, near Smithville, on January 21st and 22nd, 2017.
I will post the flyer as soon as we finish proofing it.
Mark your calendars!
Thanks to everyone who supports AMSA and the events we sponsor,
-Larry

Last edited:
There's a TORCS race this weekend over near Bastrop.
Jump in the D class and roll the course slow to get a feel for it!

Monte_zpszxcbswti.jpg

I grew up in west Texas and rode enduros around there. At that time they had them around Crane, Post, Jayton and Memphis. This is me at the LTR, I believe 1981. Check out the crappy gear. It was me, my brother and 2 friends that always rode on the same minute. I was the only one that kept time. My wife would write out my roll chart before. I don't know how they do the enduros now, where they don't keep time. I would still like to do a few more and still think I can at 58. Just don't know if I want to get the new cycle and gear for it.

Montejay you really should get back out there with us. I'm 59 and didn't ride from the early 70s until this decade. Getting a small trail bike to "motor hike" my ranch in the Ozarks and watching my son race MX finally drew me into the fold. I had raced at Rio Bravo as a youngster of 15, the next time I would find myself racing on an MX track I was 55. Oddly enough it would be on that very same track, I the same class (500cc), riding the same make bike (Husky), I am so thankful that I found my way back into dirt riding & racing again. There is nothing I enjoy quite as much. Plus now, as an older fella, this kind of rigorous activity helps keep me younger and a good bit more fit...despite the occasional injury. As I remember, even when I was young there were occasional injuries any time I did a truly challenging activity. Wasn't a good reason to abstain then, and it still isn't now.
C'mon back out on the play ground and have some fun again...You know you wanna!
Hey is that a Jofa mouth guard I see you wearing?

Thanks Wildernessrider. Great story and sounds encouraging.
I don't remember on the mouth guard, I think back then they were all open face helmets with mouth guards.

Enduros are a hoot, but you will have to drive some distance to get to some of them. The Hare Scramble series is fairly centralized and the racing is much more "active". If you have younguns you can not beat the camaraderie in the community. I have seen parents pull parts off their own kids bikes to help out other kids. I have not raced in years but I still talk to some of those guys. Ya just can't beat the racing community when it comes to friendships.:rider:

Enduros are a hoot, but you will have to drive some distance to get to some of them. The Hare Scramble series is fairly centralized and the racing is much more "active". If you have younguns you can not beat the camaraderie in the community. I have seen parents pull parts off their own kids bikes to help out other kids. I have not raced in years but I still talk to some of those guys. Ya just can't beat the racing community when it comes to friendships.:rider:

To the OP location , he's much closer to the enduro scene than we in Houston are. Lucky for him!

These days, I don't do alot of enduros, I wish I have more time to devote to.... but I try to go to one, maybe two, a yr to support the clubs & justify keeping a couple of dirt bikes in the garage. My two favorites in the past were the ones at Red River and Caney Creek @ Sam Houston NF.

The last enduro I did was back in 2014. 4 of us got on the same row out @ Barnwell Mountain.
10974448_1037867189560358_6522688040668470367_o.jpg

At every check, seemed like we constantly had something to laugh about...
1410834_757375650942848_1583750515_o.jpg

hanging out with like minded dirtbikers does put a spirit of good friendship and loyalty among members of this niche group.
But honestly, it's the Pre-Race shenanigans that I look forward to the most.:lol2: There's no shortage of the fun & hanging out by the campfires the night before the race.
1397633_757375670942846_162095716_o.jpg

This yr, when TSCEC held an enduro out at Hidden Falls,
my buddy, Mark, was the race chairman. So, I
helped with the race. Seeing all the riders come through
our check, and writing down the times on their score card was alot of fun!

12742806_1278125485534526_274697254595759228_n.jpg

You don't have to be a racer to experience an enduro.
You can see one up close, be right next to the action as a volunteer. The organizers will take care of you and will be most grateful for your time on Sunday race day.

Thanks Dao, for reminding everyone about volunteering, and for helping out!
I raced in that last enduro at Hidden Falls. Was fortunate to get to spend the day doing all the test sections with my buddy JQ-2. We riders couldn't enjoy participating in these events if other folks didn't volunteer to help out. If the organizers had to pay for every bit of help required to conduct a race like this...the entry fees would be totally cost prohibitive.
Thanks again to all who come out to help out. You are in fact what really keeps events like this going! :thumb::thumb:

Any idea why the race at Barnwell only happened once? I was thinking of trying that one, but then it didn't run again.

Any idea why the race at Barnwell only happened once? I was thinking of trying that one, but then it didn't run again.

(My humble take on that) Barnwell is a hoot for sure and what I consider some of the best riding in the state. One of the problems with an enduro there is simply economics. The place makes a lot more $$$ per month than I would have ever guessed. To rent it for an exclusive use (like for a weekend) is so doggone much money that it puts the race overhead where everything has to turn out perfect to break even. Some 4X4 clubs do this annually and the place is closed to everyone else when they do. Some of the board members have recently talked about getting an enduro together but I haven't heard much beyond that.

Just my suspicion... the place is pretty technical riding and I'm not sure how the current trails could be laid out to make a race accessible to enough folks. But I don't begin to know all the trails out there, either. :shrug:

I know a fair number of the Jeep trails, and have been there on ATV's but have never biked it.
Dody looked into it very briefly for RTB and found out it's $5k to have exclusive rights for a weekend. That definitely puts the pressure on to get enough riders to a new event to be able to pay for it.

I know a fair number of the Jeep trails, and have been there on ATV's but have never biked it.
Dody looked into it very briefly for RTB and found out it's $5k to have exclusive rights for a weekend. That definitely puts the pressure on to get enough riders to a new event to be able to pay for it.

Whoa

Not totally undoable. IF you were able to get 200 riders there 5K would be 25 a head. Race fees entry is now about 65 bucks. That covers, insurace cost (for the owner and promotor), cost for marking, signs, and trophies, as well as TSCEC circuit fees. 25 might eat up much of that cost. Some things you might be able to get donated or sponsored for. You would have to be pretty creative. I don't recall what the circuit costs per rider

I don't know it all that well, but did race the last race there. It was laid out pretty well. They did have to run sections multiple times to get the mileage where they wanted it. All Test section and very little if any transfer sections. I think some of the guys that used to do the race out at Red River put it on.

Help is the hard part. You need plenty of volunteers to put it on. I'm sure the place did pretty well from camping fees. The RV spots toward the back with the hookups were full!

Agree 100%. The 300exc is the best bike KTM has ever made in my opinion. It's the closest thing to a four stroke a two stroke can get. Third gear is the 300's happy place...

Back