• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Feel like helping me in my second bike decision???

iDood said:
The Triumph and the BMW seem to be getting high marks... nothing notable on the Hondas... though the Suzuki got a good mark.

Looks like I'll head over to Gulf Coast and have a longer stare at the Triumphs, and then I will go see Dean at BMW and give some more thought to the BMWs... though both of these choices are more ccs than I wanted...

... to that end though... I had another buddy tell me not to get anything less than a liter because I'd want one within a month after getting a 600.

Decisions, decisions...

Again... this is great feedback...

I really like my 1200GS. It does alot of things well. It is a bit taller than what I came off of though. The R12GS can tour, hooliganize, trackdays, some dirt riding (your F650GS is probably better suited to the really tight stuff though), and folks don't want to steal them.

Only reason you may not want one is because you have it's smaller brother. However, the R12GS is a better roadbike than the F650GS or even an R1150GS IMO.

Adan said:
I'd go for the Sprint in your case, because I see you as being the type of rider that will definitely be putting on some miles ;-) If nothing else, you might appreciate the wind protection of the Sprint ST VS the Speed Triple on long rides.

I think I have to agree with you. The Speed Triple looks like an absolute blast and would be a lot of fun to raise **** on, but the reality is, I would be riding it on longer trips...

As far as naked bikes are concerned, the Duc sure is nice. This Tuono sure is nice looking too...

... just talking out loud now...

If you're planning some longer trips check out the Kawasaki ZRX1200. I routinely do 400+ mile days of twisties on my 1100, and I'm old and in terrible shape :lol: A younger person in decent shape should be able to load it down and do 600 miles a day with ease. I know a couple of guys who have done 1000 mile days on them.

It's not light or high-revving, but none of those 600 sport bikes are terribly well suited for touring.

I'm really interested in the Z1000, but for now I'm staying tough

The Tuono is an excellent choice! I LOVE mine, it's an insanely great bike, and if you want to go long distances, the wind protection will offer much more comfort than a Speed Triple. The Aprilia liter twins are known for Honda-like reliability as well. It's comfortable enough to ride all day, and it's hooligan attitude will bring a big smile to your face every time you ride it.

For a 600SS bike, I'd look at the R6. W/ 26K valve adjustment intervals, about all you'll need to worry about regularly are oil changes, tire pressure, and chain lubrication.

Forget the big BMW, Sprint, or VFR - sounds like fun factor is the main reason for adding to the stable, so go w/ something that has less compromised performance.

Chris S said:
The Aprilia liter twins are known for Honda-like reliability as well.

So they fry their regulators a lot?

:mrgreen:

Touring on a Speed Triple? You must be kidding.

Then again, maybe not -

8-)

I recently copied that photo from a post in another forum. The owner of the bike says that the Laminar Lip screen he mounted on the headlight cowling does a pretty good job of diverting the airflow, making longer rides and trips a somewhat less exhausting proposition. Maybe the mile-high tank bag helps out too. ;-) If I ever get rid of my Sprint, the '03/'04 Speed Triple is in my personal top 3 of possible replacement choices.

scratch said:
Touring on a Speed Triple? You must be kidding.

Then again, maybe not -

8-)

...Maybe the mile-high tank bag helps out too

Me too... and it does.
bigbend1.jpg

I wouldn't recomment the Speed Triple to anybody who tours regularly but I have done a 500 mile day on mine and it wasn't any big deal. My legs were a little sore from the peg position but I'm 6' tall so that's going to be a problem on a lot of bikes. Actually, I think I'd be more comfortable if the pegs were a little further back instead of down or forward. As for wind screens, I don't have one but I haven't missed it. I wear a Shoei RF1000 and it seems to slip stream extememly well. 500 miles at 80+ and my neck was never sore. It's the first 'new' helmet that I've owned in 10 years and the improvement is remarkable. It was well worth the money.

The back seat is a joke. I go about 225 lbs so when I'm sitting in the saddle there isn't much room for a passenger. My wife's afraid of motorcycles so I removed the rear pegs and installed a rear seat cowl.

The bike is awesome for anything other than touring. I've owned a bunch of different styles of bikes and this one is one of my favorites (my other favorited being a GSXR1100 and a Honda rebel 250 for what it's worth). I have to admit I have never owned a tourer or a dual purpose so I don't know what it will be like compared to your BMW.

I don't think it's a bike for everyone. It's one of the ugliest-good looking bikes I've ever seen. It's a **** of a lot of fun around town or in the country. If you're trying to make the scene (or what ever they call it these days) most people don't know what the heck it is so it's no good there. But it's real fast, handles beautifully, does wheelies and endos willingly (from what I've heard) and you don't see one every five minutes.

if you plan on long rides then a sprint is they way to go. several people do 500+ mile days frequently no problem. my ride are usually no less than 100 (unless i am going to work) and most 140-200...

lack of wind protection on nakeds did me in on mine.

Hmmm... I like the looks of the Speed Triple... But then I like the R1150GS too :-P

On another thread about dream engines a twtex member posted this about the Sprint ST:

Long Link

It took me a couple of tries to open the link but it's worth a look!

Triumphs also have a two year warranty rather than one from the Japanese brands. My SV650 blew up after 14 months, so I bought a Speed Triple.

Back