• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garrison Brothers Distillery

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit the Garrison Brothers Distillery in Hye, Texas as part of a seminar Precision-Camera put together. The GM of Precision is also a rider and organized a day of activities to include a personal tour of the facility (21 of us) by the owner, a catered fried chicken lunch and free reign of the place to shoot whatever and wherever. I couldn't pass it up, so "Hye-ho, Hye-ho, it's off to shoot I go...." (couldn't resist)

Upon entering the place, you can't help but think this is going to be fun....
SSS_3775-62-L.jpg

We all gathered at the front "Welcome Cabin" and were offered cool beverages to include water, beer or wine. The chairs made for a cozy "Welcome" indeed.
SSS_3487-5-L.jpg

I had a feeling I was in the right place when I saw this too
SSS_3493-7-L.jpg

The owner gave us the tour and explained how they make genuine bourbon. It all starts with these three hoppers full of grainy-goodness
SSS_3507-10-L.jpg

They take the grains and pulverize them into dust and then cook it at various temperatures throughout the day. This guy does the cooking
SSS_3521-15-L.jpg

And this is one of his kitchens
SSS_3722-46-L.jpg

Once the mash is cooked, it ferments in 550gal tubs and turns into 26% alcohol beer. It's the yellow tubs and we were offered a taste. Just stick your finger in the vat and yep, it tastes sort of like beer.
SSS_3721-45-L.jpg

Upon closer inspection, this is the 'beer'. It stays here for five days just simmering/fermenting.
SSS_3728-48-L.jpg

After five days, it heads to the still where they basically frac the liquid to get the pure alcohol out. What comes out of here is 140 proof or 70% alcohol.
SSS_3766-58-L.jpg

The 'mash' from the previous step is void of alcohol at this point and is trucked to local ranchers to use as a high-protein additive to supplement their feed. So their 'waste' has a market so to speak.

Here's the "Whitedog". That little itty-bitty sample was more than I could drink and that was even getting up a mouthful of saliva to mix with it upon their instruction.
SSS_3526-17-L.jpg

From the frac process, the finished product goes to storage tanks. This was the ONLY place we were not allowed to use a flash due to the explosion/fire hazard.
SSS_3648-27-L.jpg

When it's time to put the product in the barrels, each one is weighed and recorded with the barrel number, various dates, volumes and such. The Whitedog at this point has also been reduced to approximately 120 proof.
SSS_3659-29-L.jpg

Filling the 30gallon barrels is via a food-grade garden hose and what looks like an old-tyme gasoline filler nozzle. Yep, that's clear alcohol going into that barrel.
SSS_3671-33-L.jpg

A bit about the barrels. First off, bourbon can only be made under some strict criteria to include 51% or more corn, and must be in a new/unused oak barrel among other things. The barrels come from Louisville, Kentucky and are charred for 53 seconds on the interior with a pear-burner type gizmo where they put the barrel on a rack, insert the pear-burner and turn on pure oxygen. It's ignited and the pressure of the oxygen running up and around the sides (think toilet bowl and water) makes a vortex of fire. After 53 seconds, they cut the oxygen and put the top/bottom on to snuff the fire out.

When the barrel is full, it's time to put the bung in the hole
SSS_3684-34-L.jpg

And when that's done, they just roll it out into a trailer below with a hay bale to stop the forward motion!
SSS_3688-35-L.jpg

Once on the trailer (about four barrels per trip), they are hauled to a field where they are aged. Aging is done by placing the barrels in old shipping containers. They are stacked one on top of the other, about 200-215 per container.
SSS_3707-41-L.jpg

SSS_3706-40-L.jpg

There they will sit for at least 30 months. Everyday, they open and close the doors to the shipping containers. Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring. The purpose of this is by expansion and contraction due to temperature swings of the pressure, the fluid inside is forced into the charred sides of the barrel. Get hot, pressure increases and the liquid is forced into the wood through the char. Cools down, pressure decreases, the fluid comes back through the char. This process over and over every day. That's how the bourbon turns it's color and get's the smokey flavor profile they want.

After 30 months (or so depending on the age/flavor profile they want) they bang the bung out
SSS_3595-22-L.jpg

And this is the end product
SSS_3570-19-L.jpg

SSS_3749-52-L.jpg

The guy behind it all
SSS_3730-49-L.jpg

And one of their finished products ready for consumers
SSS_3643-26-L.jpg

Overall, a wonderful experience not only to see and learn how 'stuff is made', but to get to shoot it as well. We didn't need models - all the employees were more than willing to pose as we asked. We all had a grand time and I highly recommend visiting their place for 'tasting tours'. I think it's like $10 weekdays/$20 on Saturday and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Very nice photo story, Scott. Really enjoyed it.

Those poor barrels in the containers during the summer heat, even with the doors open.

Sweet!!!! I gotta go! Are there public "tours"?

Very very nice sir!

I bet it was fun to go with 20 other photog's too.

Nice clean images that individually tell a story all by themselves. Well done!

One of the really cool parts? The Nikon rep was there with two giant pelican rolling cases of gear. :eek2:

You name it- she had it in there. I peeked inside and saw the D4 but didn't have the nerve to ask to shoot it.

Nice, thanks for sharing! Think I'd like to do that tour as soon as I get healed and can travel some more ;-)

A friend of mine went out there to help bottle a batch. At the end of the day he received a free bottle for his efforts. He really enjoyed the day.

Well, SpiritAtBay (Gina) and I are headed to the Sit&Sip tour this Sunday June 1 for the noon tour. Should be a bit different than my all-access shooting opportunity I enjoyed last summer, but kind of fun at the same time to be on a guided tour.

And they now allow you to purchase two bottles per person on-site. They didn't have legislative approval to do so this past summer, but that's now changed. Only wrinkle is, our tour is on Sunday and nobody can sell hootch on Sundays. :-( Oh well, that just means another trip I suppose!

Nice report and good pics from Garrison Bros Distillery. Really enjoyed wading through your posts. Thanks for sharing all of that.:clap:

Thanks Bill.... Appreciate the kind words.

I'd highly recommend the tour if you want to see how this stuff is made. The people are wonderful and the tour really provides a good experience.

Thanks Bill.... Appreciate the kind words.

I'd highly recommend the tour if you want to see how this stuff is made. The people are wonderful and the tour really provides a good experience.

It just went on the to do list. Thanks again Scott.

I may have missed it,....but what does it taste like? Any comparison to a Rebecca Creek for example?

Not sure how to compare as I've never had Rebecca Creek. :lol2:

About all I can say is, it has a bit more 'bite' than say, Crown.

Back